FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a new gun last night and while filling out the 4473 question11e about unlawful use of marijuana came up. I marked no as I should. Then I thought about you guys in CO and WA state. How is this addressed where it is legal in the state, but not on the fed level? The 4473 is a fed form and marijuana is illegal. Any idea how someone that smokes the mary jane in CO/WA heck even CA can legally buy a firearm and pass through NICS check?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
key word is "unlawful" -- if it's legal / medical, it's not "unlawful"
This is where I lose my understanding. In CO. it is lawful to Co. law, but Federally it is unlawful. A 4473 form is not a state form. It is a fed form. So in my thinking federally you could not purchase a firearm because 11e falls under federal law not state if answered yes which in those states you technically would have too.

Its just one of those things I ponder on.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right...which makes checking "No" if you use marijuana a felony as well...not that the ATF does anything about people who lie on 4473s...as is evidenced by the lack of prosecutions the media reports on.

Thats pretty much where I was headed with this.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
So it is unlawful.

Just because it is not enforced does not make it lawful.....

You are correct. Just because the Federal system does not enforce it now does not mean that they cant if they choose too. There are a lot of laws on the books locally and Federally that are never enforced. Instead of making more laws lets purge the ones that are not enforced and out dated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Answer yes to the first question of the being purchase for yourself ( otherwise it is a straw purchase) and all the rest of the question you better answer no. Otherwise do not pass go and no firearm for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
573 Posts
Nope-just decriminalized!

Curious, what about the THC laden lollipops and hand cream???? Does that count too? Technically speaking it's not marijuana:)

BBG-
...and it's not marijuana that is illegal, it is the THC. THC is the substance that is tested for. As an example, consuming cannabis vodka (which can be purchased in some parts of the world) and then takin a urinalysis will cause you to test positive for THC. I'm no expert, but without THC, that toe-backy just isn't wacky...

(unless you're talking spice or synthetic marijuana...but it's also not marijuana)

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Really just curious more than anything-I always just, "say no to drugs."

...and it's not marijuana that is illegal, it is the THC. THC is the substance that is tested for. As an example, consuming cannabis vodka (which can be purchased in some parts of the world) and then takin a urinalysis will cause you to test positive for THC. I'm no expert, but without THC, that toe-backy just isn't wacky...

(unless you're talking spice or synthetic marijuana...but it's also not marijuana)

BBG-

·
Registered
876 Posts
"Are you an unlawful user of" I take that as.... are you using marijuana unlawfully at that moment. i.e. Don't smoke marijuana while filling the form out.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
its state legal, but still Federally illegal, and is a crime that is not enforced federally in those states.
There's the sticking point. Fed's don't care about what's legal in a state. It's still illegal Federally.

You get caught lieing to the fed's, not good.

·
Registered
876 Posts
There's the sticking point. Fed's don't care about what's legal in a state. It's still illegal Federally.

You get caught lieing to the fed's, not good.
Sadly the federal government lies to me everyday. So I guess I really don't care if people lie on a 4473 about smoking marijuana for medical conditions. Not to mention your chances of getting caught are zero unless you piss off some ATF agent or smell like weed. And even if you smell like weed I'd bet the salesman behind the counter of a big box gun store could care less as long as he gets his commission. Hate me if you want but I speak the truth.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts