FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a FN .45 (non tacticle) and was wondering if anyone has used or know of <BR>A) Can a +P be used?<BR>B) Any suggestion on grains?<BR>C) Any experience shooting with these loads?<BR>Thanks for your input

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I put around 100 rounds of 230 gr +p and 200 gr +p through my FNP 45. It didn't want to cycle 200 gr +p Speer Gold Dots (got caught occasionally on the bottom of the feed ramp) but did fine with 230 gr +p Corbon and IIRC one of the 230gr +p Hornady offerings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Even though the pistol can fire +p the data I have looked at shows +p in .45 to have a lower one shot stop rating according to their statistics. I personally have never fired +p in .45 - don't see any need. Am I missing something / wrong?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why do you want to put a +P round through the gun? The key to the 45 round is its mass, faster does not change this and could actually do less damage if it passes through tissue not hitting bone. It will stress the gun parts....but the FNP will take it for many, many rounds. It also will kick more and cause the gun to rise more making it more difficult to center on the second shot. Getting a 2nd and 3rd round off has more stopping power than one fast one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts