FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Cabela's last night to pick up a box of JHPs for my new FNP. Having been picked over, I just grabbed a small box (20) of 185 grain Winchester SilverTips. Now, my experience with SilverTips is limited, but I've known them to feed pretty reliably through autoloaders that don't generally like HPs. When I got home, I loaded a mag and went to rack one into the chamber, and it hung up on the ramp.

Should I attribute this to the gun not being broken in yet? It only has 50 rounds of UMC round nose through it, but no failures there and the ramp is smooth and clean. I took the mag apart and cleaned it, then successfully cycled through the whole mag, but I still don't fully trust them. Being that .45 round is effective enough, I just kept that in it last night, but I'd like to use HPs if I can. What are you guys with a little more range time using for self defense loads? Have you tested them for reliability?

-Thanks

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Some guns do not like certain brands of JHP - I can't speak to that particular brand, however - as I've never used them. I generally stick to either the WWB JHP that Wal-Mart sells, Golddot, Hydrashok or Winchester SXT.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm tempted to pick up a box of Remington Golden Sabers since I've found that if those don't feed, you need to stick to round.

I'm sure that someone else here with an FNP-45 uses HPs, though. I'd just like to know what works for them before I end up spending another 20 to 40 dollars on HPs that could go towards twice as much round nose that I know will work. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never even seen SXT around here, but looking at pictures of .45acp SXT, the bullet design looks essentially the same as the SilverTips I have.

Here's a picture I got off of Midway.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, like I said, I don't have a ton of experience with these, but I have known them to feed well in guns that don't really like HPs. That's why I was reasonably confident in buying them. I might be worrying about nothing... I'll keep them on hand and put a mag through next time I go to the range. If it feeds, I'll probably pick up another box.

Until then, I should be fine with round nose. Isn't that the primary appeal of .45, anyway?

·
Registered
13 Posts
yeah, its cheap ammo, everywhere local was sold out of anything good, but it shoots straight and makes big holes so it will work untill I can get my hands on some other HPs

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Actually - at least in 9mm, the tests I have seen with that cheaper JHP from Wal-Mart (the WWB kind) are pretty good.

I have it in all of my 9mms that I keep loaded. I don't feel like I am short changing myself, and the price is right as well.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Furyataurus said:
Magtech Guardian Gold 9mm for less than $12 for a box of 20 and less than $15 for .40's.
At this point I'm considering an FNP-9 (or CZ P01) to plink with. I still greatly prefer .45acp in all areas other than cost.

·
Registered
25 Posts
raggededge said:
I have never even seen SXT around here, but looking at pictures of .45acp SXT....
Win SXT 180 gr feed fine in my FNP-40. Only shot 6 though as I wanted to keep a full mag out of the box of 20.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I'm going to shoot these next time I go to the range, and maybe pick up a box of white box HPs if I can find them cheap enough. If they pass the real test, I'll load 'em for bedside duty. If not, I'll shoot some more round nose through it and try again later.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts