FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone tried 45 Super in the FNX45?

edited to add that I really like my pistol and I want something hot like 10mm so I'm looking at options before I go buy the Glock 20.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old post, but today I fired 20 rounds of Buffalo Bore 45 Super 255 gr. hard cast bullets through my FNX 45T along with 10 rounds of Buffalo Bore 45 ACP +P 255 gr. hard cast bullets.

I began with only one round in the mag for 5 shots to make sure the slide would lock back, I didn't notice any problems so I loaded up the mag with 5 rounds and shot another 3 mags of 5 - 45 Super.

I didnt have any problems with feeding or ejecting the rounds but I did notice that the Super rounds were much more spirited than anything else I've shot (obviously).

I've shot well over 2000 rounds of various ammo through this gun and I've never had a failure. I don't think I would run a lot of 45 Super through the gun but I'm heading off to bear county and wanted a more powerful round for self preservation.

Hope this is beneficial.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
jte, did you check the brass from the Super's for any bulging or pressure signs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't see any stress points or bulging on the brass but I do notice that some (not all) 45 Super brass is slightly out of round at the mouth. It does eject the brass about 5 to 7 feet beyond my normal rounds.

The +P brass show no out of round mouths and no bulges.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interesting.

What is the pressure of this round? Would make a good hog stopper as well in my part of the woods.

Is the FNX .45T rated to handle the pressure of the .45 super?

I am now pretty curious...would be nice to load .45 super rather than hauling my monster .454 Casull around.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Rated to handle it? Doubt it. Can it handle it? sounds like it, although if you could find a heavier recoil spring, it might be a good idea.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Greetings, first post. I have owned a few of these pistols. I think next to my S&W TSW pistols, these FNX 45's have the best stock da/sa triggers on the market. Hiking in bear country 3 to 4 times a month I have decided to try 45 super thru my FNX 45. Ordering one of these first. Amazon.com : DPM Recoil Systems Fn Herstal FNP-FNX : Sports & Outdoors I would like to upgrade my firing pin spring and mag springs as we'll. Does anyone have a source for these two spring? After the spring upgrades I will put at least 50 rounds of 45 super down the pipe and report back. Ammo will be from underwood. Pistol is (other than upgraded springs) a stock FNX 45.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Not sure about a firing pin spring replacement (other than stock at least).

I seem to remember people using STI double stack mag springs and base plate extensions for the FNX/P 45's. You might be able to find a post about it if you search for extended FNX magazine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Apex10,

Out of curiosity, why upgrade the magazine springs?
The woods defense load will be 255gr hardcast. 15 rounds of 255gr bullets, I just thought it might be a bit much for the factory mag springs. Has anyone else seen an upgraded firing pin spring? Or a +5% +10% mag springs. I checked wolf, no dice. One more Question: Has anyone ever purchased an aftermarket bbl for the fnx45? (Every time I check Efk is out) and if so, does it have more chamber support than the factory fnx45 bbl? Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm curious about this also... What would make the gun rated for Super by FN? A barrel/chamber to withstand the extra pressure? Or that plus heavier recoil springs to dampen the greater force? (I'm new to FN and .45 in general.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm curious about this also... What would make the gun rated for Super by FN? A barrel/chamber to withstand the extra pressure? Or that plus heavier recoil springs to dampen the greater force? (I'm new to FN and .45 in general.)
I don't think any oem pistol maker will say their pistol is rated for 45 super. I will say this, after seeing the 460 Rowland conversions and videos, 45 super looks pretty tame. The jump from 45 super to 460 Rowland is much greater than 45 +p to 45 super. I will still try it in the Fnx 45. The parts I need were on back order.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have shot Buffalo Bores 255 grain hard cast through mine. But then again I shoot that round through my XDS 3.3 also. These are rated at 1075 fps/654 ft lbs through a 5 inch barrel. I have not chronographed them out of the FNX. Recoil is not bad there are slight case bulges but not enough for concern. That is also my choice for a woods round when I'm not caring a 10mm.

·
Registered
39 Posts
10mm is a nice option. I just don't like blocks (spell check did that,I think I'll leave it) I can't get a witness pistol that's reliable. Which leaves the trusty 1006. Big difference in round count, 9 vs. 15, that's why I'm wanting to use the FNX 45.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts