FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i received my .45t fde on wed., put 100rds through it that night, LOVE LOVE LOVE the gun. the only problem i had was the threaded protector kept coming loose. ive searched the forum and read that happens and expect that to happen since its metal on metal etc. can i put a lil piece of pipe thread tape on there to keep it from loosening or something else? i searched and couldn't find an answer. i just dont want to be out in the woods shooting and i forget to check it and it fall off and loose it.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Grab an Oring that fits snug inside the thread protector and you'll be off to the races

Reactions: Milspec

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
McMaster-Carr

I got these and they keep it on nice and tight. Put 200 rounds down range and it didn't loosen any. The shipping at McMaster-Carr kind of sucks (expensive for a little bag of O-rings). Not sure if you can find them anywhere else, but make sure they're pretty heat resistant.

Plumber's tape (pipe thread tape) should work as well, but I don't know if it will work as well as the O-rings.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Actually, you can get them from Amazon as well...

·
Registered
364 Posts
I purchased some from the McMaster-Carr site as recommended from another thread on this forum. They arrived very fast and fit great.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The o-ring works fine to keep the TP in place but I had to remove it each time to get the barrel out of the slide for cleaning. Now for storage leave the TP on w/o o-ring , and remove it when firing.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The o-ring works fine to keep the TP in place but I had to remove it each time to get the barrel out of the slide for cleaning. Now for storage leave the TP on w/o o-ring , and remove it when firing.
Removing the o-ring adds about 3 seconds to the cleaning process... isn't that better than taking a chance on damaging the threads or muzzle on your barrel?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts