FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am looking at these 5.11 TDU Digital Woodland Shirts and Pants, and my question is, is digital woodland, a digital verison of Multicam? Also is it any good compared to Multicam, or MARPAT ( I know this answer will come up, what type of area, I.E. location, I am located in Eastern Pennsylvania, which means mostly Mountain wooded areas, with limited open fields.) (Use? For Hunting, and whatever comes along in the future.) I do like the 5.11 gear, and I own a 4 pairs of TDU Ripstop pants ( 1 black, 1 dark navy blue, 1 grey, and one 1 Khaki. They are usualy sold at your local Army & Navy Store for ruffle 49.95. The pants are excellent, and the knee padding is good for everyday use, and hitting the range. I also use them for work, ( I am a Private Investigator), But I haven't seen any topics on this forum or other forums on Digital Woodland camo. I only seen topics on ACU, Multicam, MARPAT, etc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
From what i've seen of most digi woodland camo types they all seem to be a replica of the Marine Corps MARPAT design and incorporate black, dark earth, olive drab and mint green in the pattern. The overall design tends toward dark undergrowth and dense deciduous forests and dense new growth tall grasslands. They would probably stick out in dead grasses that have a lighter tone and would tend to turn into a dark blob in late autumn forests where the patterns that use dark and light browns would be more effective. For what its worth, from what i've seen and heard, Multicam seem to be a more flexible camoflauge YMMV. :grin:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Yep, its a Want-to-be-a- Marine pattern. The only difference is no EGA's.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bringing back my old topic. I just dig out my 5.11 digital woodland camp out of my gun room while looking for once fired brass.

Has anyone ever tried to compare this camo to Multicam or other patterns

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I'm far from an expert on cammo, was just never anything I've given a lot of attention to. But from my every day kind of guy point of view, I like the pattern presented in the link. Number one, it's the first digital cammo I've ever seen that didn't look ridiculously repulsive lol. It actually looks decent. Number two, for your terrain, or any heavily forested area, I think it would be quite effective for the purpose it was designed to do...camouflage you. Now mind you, I'm just an idiot who is bored and browsing around the forum, but if I were in the market for forest type cammo, from what I have seen on random occasions throughout my life and internet journey, that's what I would choose. Just my uneducated opinion. Carry on...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm far from an expert on cammo, was just never anything I've given a lot of attention to. But from my every day kind of guy point of view, I like the pattern presented in the link. Number one, it's the first digital cammo I've ever seen that didn't look ridiculously repulsive lol. It actually looks decent. Number two, for your terrain, or any heavily forested area, I think it would be quite effective for the purpose it was designed to do...camouflage you. Now mind you, I'm just an idiot who is bored and browsing around the forum, but if I were in the market for forest type cammo, from what I have seen on random occasions throughout my life and internet journey, that's what I would choose. Just my uneducated opinion. Carry on...
the camp pattern is very effective in my area. I live in NE PA in the pocono mountains. The camp pattern is great for fall winter and before spring when most of the woodlands are tan, brown and green

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Looking at the picture in the link you provided, I wouldn't expect it to be a particularly effective camo. It looks like a solid base of coyote brown, with little spots of green, black, and tan. At any real distance, it'll look like solid coyote brown, and not help break up it's outline.

Not finding anything through a bit of google fu or by checking my normal sources for camo tests, but I noticed that even 5.11 doesn't seem to advertise this particularly well these days; it's all about the Geo7, which makes me think that they've abandoned this pattern for others.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking at the picture in the link you provided, I wouldn't expect it to be a particularly effective camo. It looks like a solid base of coyote brown, with little spots of green, black, and tan. At any real distance, it'll look like solid coyote brown, and not help break up it's outline.

Not finding anything through a bit of google fu or by checking my normal sources for camo tests, but I noticed that even 5.11 doesn't seem to advertise this particularly well these days; it's all about the Geo7, which makes me think that they've abandoned this pattern for others.
the thread is from 2008 when I first posted it. 5.11 does not sell this anymore, but you can still get the pattern on ebay and stuff.

I think the camo is very effective in my area from oct to march.
Pennsylvania has a lot of brown and tan woodlands at that time of the year ( minus snow)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
the thread is from 2008 when I first posted it. 5.11 does not sell this anymore, but you can still get the pattern on ebay and stuff.

I think the camo is very effective in my area from oct to march.
Pennsylvania has a lot of brown and tan woodlands at that time of the year ( minus snow)
I get that it's an old thread/pattern, but you brought it back up and asked how effective it would be. Based on my understanding of how camouflage works I'd again guess it would only be about as effective as a similar solid color, like South African Nutria. It might work OK in certain AOs and times of year, but likely wouldn't compare favorably to MultiCam. (which is what you originally asked)

If you think it is very effective, why are you asking about it?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I get that it's an old thread/pattern, but you brought it back up and asked how effective it would be. Based on my understanding of how camouflage works I'd again guess it would only be about as effective as a similar solid color, like South African Nutria. It might work OK in certain AOs and times of year, but likely wouldn't compare favorably to MultiCam. (which is what you originally asked)

If you think it is very effective, why are you asking about it?
because i am not a camp expert and i asked 12 year ago about the pattern. i brought it up because it’s been 12 years and i figured by now there might of been some type of comparison between the patterson. It is effect in my terrain for 1/2 of the year

1 - 14 of 14 Posts