FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 12/14 I bought an FN 5.7 MK 2 and since have added a CTC cmr-203 green laser sight. Problems with the operation of the laser led me to an excellent holster. I'll briefly recount my experience.

Since I had no holster that the gun would fit, I transported it in a rug which I usually left in the car. I noticed immediatly that the laser either didn't work at all, or was greatly reduced in brightness. First thought was the battery that came with it. That turned out to not be the case when left in the car for any length of time. Green lasers have three operational stages, the third of which critically depends on the length of a crystal. This limits the operating temperature range to from 40 deg F to 90 deg F. In winter 40 is considered balmy in eastern Kentucky. No way would this temp range meet any mil-spec as suggested by CTC; "regularly in police and military use".

The low temperature is easier to deal with (don't know how this laser could work in Death Valley). I opted for a shoulder holster. My local dealer (Strongs Gunshop, Morehead KY, 606-783-7257) carries KNJ, which are only sold through dealers. They sell a modular rig which I currently have holsters for a 1911 and a PPK. KNJ sent two holsters for my test; the smallest carries the 5.7 + laser fine, and the larger could handle a light. The entire rig will be less than $60.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Newer U.S. Manufactured green lasers are starting to show up with Osram native green diodes.

These are not temperature sensitive.

AND on the Plus side, they aren't emitting outrageous amounts of I.R. which can result in you walking with a white cane.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts