FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the sights on my MkII and have ordered a new slide cover because I damaged the original trying to reinstall it. Can anyone give me advice as to how to reinstall a slide cover without damaging it?

By the way I'm new to this site... and thatks for any assistence!

·
Registered
470 Posts
A word of caution...FN sent me a USG slide cover when I asked for a MKII. What is the part number you're getting? If you know, that is. How did you damage the old one?

To reinstall, put it onto the front of the slide first, over the front sight. I assume your rear sight blade/screw (the part that adjusts left/right) is already off. The rest of the rear sight can stay put. Move the rear of the cover down over the rear sight slowly. You may have to wiggle it at the front to get the metal tab through the slot in the muzzle end of the cover. Don't push it down all the way in the back until this is done. Then the hole should line up for the pin and the rear sight should be sticking up out of the cover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have the part number, although if I had a part schametic it would help. I damaged the old one trying to reinstall it. As far as I can tell I proceeded to reinstall as you described above. The damage isn't bad, so I have retried to reinstall with out success which is why I've asked the forum. My problem is that I have to force the cover over the rear sight to the point that it takes a great deal of effort. I had to disassemble the rear sight to remove it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I see. You should only have to take the lefty-righty thing off the rear sight by removing the adjustment screw and spring all the way. The rest of the rear sight could stay put, at least on mine. Pics would help if you have any.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The left-right adjustment isn't the problem. The problem is getting the cover over the base of the rear sight. I actually cracked the corners and broke the rear edge of the opening of the cover trying to get the cover over the rear sight. As far as pictures are concerned, I'm at work and I will take pictures as soon as I get home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I'm sure the front tap was in the slide cover hole. I've tried everything suggested that has been mentioned so far.

Does anyone have access to a shop manual for the MkII?

By the way, I'm really impressed with everyone response!

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I don't or I would email one to you....I realize this is for the USG model so not sure if its any help but thought I would throw up the link to midwestgunworks in case that helps you see something:

FN Five-Seven Parts

View attachment 27695

Yes, I'm sure the front tap was in the slide cover hole. I've tried everything suggested that has been mentioned so far.

Does anyone have access to a shop manual for the MkII?

By the way, I'm really impressed with everyone response!

·
Registered
259 Posts
FN sent me a USG slide cover when I asked for a MKII.
How recent was this? Because i called them a couple months ago and ask them if they have any USG Slide cover without the serrations on the front of the cover and they said NO we do not make those anymore. We only make and sell the MKII slide cover with the serrations on the front of the slide cover now.

I ordered some USG slide covers last year - the browning part number was #F864070310 - slide cover for adjustable sight FsN if this helps?
What date last year did you order ? Was it earlier in the year like say Jan/Feb or was is late like Nov/Dec ?
Also what do you mean by browning part number ? If i want to order the USG slide cover with the smooth front half, would i call FN and give them the number you posted above ?
Also did you order enough that you are able to sell a few at cost ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! Every little bit helps...

I've been giving this some thought. If I don't come to a conclusion before I receive the new slide. I'm going to make sure that the new one is a match then cut the old one in half lenghtwise with a dermel tool to see where the hang-ups are.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
yes, I ordered on 8.13.13 and received 8.15.15 they always ship 2 day to me for some reason? But, hey I will not complain. See the attached for date confirmation and the part # and phone # you are asking about. Unfortunately, I put the slides to good use so I am fresh out, sorry about that.

View attachment 27700 View attachment 27701

What date last year did you order ? Was it earlier in the year like say Jan/Feb or was is late like Nov/Dec ?
Also what do you mean by browning part number ? If i want to order the USG slide cover with the smooth front half, would i call FN and give them the number you posted above ?
Also did you order enough that you are able to sell a few at cost ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The following is the response that I received concerning my request for assistence from FNH/Brownell's concerning my issue with installing a new slide cover.

"None of us have any experience with the FNpistols. Your best chance is to search Youtube.com for videos related to this model."

Scott McCollough
Tech II
Brownells, Inc.

Niesje Licht
Tech Department Secretary
Brownells, Inc.
200 S. Front Street, Montezuma, IA 50171
email: [email protected]
phone: 641-623-5401
direct line: 641-623-5401 x5027
fax: 641-623-3986

I'm sure that this is not the type of service or advice that FNH/Brownell's want to portray to their customers. Is there anyone that can direct me to a source that can assist me with my problem?

Thank-you!

Psmith

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
The following is the response that I received concerning my request for assistence from FNH/Brownell's concerning my issue with installing a new slide cover.

"None of us have any experience with the FNpistols. Your best chance is to search Youtube.com for videos related to this model."

Scott McCollough
Tech II
Brownells, Inc.

Niesje Licht
Tech Department Secretary
Brownells, Inc.
200 S. Front Street, Montezuma, IA 50171
email: [email protected]
phone: 641-623-5401
direct line: 641-623-5401 x5027
fax: 641-623-3986

I'm sure that this is not the type of service or advice that FNH/Brownell's want to portray to their customers. Is there anyone that can direct me to a source that can assist me with my problem?

Thank-you!

Psmith

I think maybe you should contact FN.

Reactions: akitainu
1 - 17 of 17 Posts