FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of questions I was hoping to get answers on:

1) Is there a suppressor I can use both on the PS90 and the FiveSeven?
2) I keep reading the Gemtech was designed for the 5.7 but it's also made of old technology. Anyone has the Gemtech AND another brand (sparrow/spectre/etc.) and can give a first hand opinion of the difference?
3) can I use a 5.56 can on the PS90? How about the FiveSeven? Will it be effective?

thanks everybody!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Look at the SWR Specter II - take down so you can clean (even use the 'dip' to clean the baffles) and can run everything from 5.7 - 22Mag - 17HMR- 22Lr
Least amount of FRP
GOTO 2:57 on the vid with SS197

·
Registered
841 Posts
1) any 5.7 rated can will work on both. You will need the appropriate adapter(s) / attachments depending on the can.

2) can't help you here. I have a Sparrow in NFA Jail and no experience with the Gemtech. I'm a big fan of SilencerCo though and prefer their company in general.

3) Yeah you can technically sub-caliber a 5.56 suppressor on the PS90. You can technically subcaliber any smaller caliber in a larger caliber as long as there's no overpressure situation, e.g. you shouldn't use a .45 can with 5.56 even though it's obviously "smaller" unless said .45 can is specifically related for that velocity / pressure.

A 5.56 can will almost certainly be too heavy to cycle the Five-seveN. For both applications, the 5.56 can will be so large that it will probably not be very good for actual use. I don't have any actual test data on the 5.7 round using a larger caliber suppressor. Maybe someone else does?

·
Registered
841 Posts
IMO if you're going to spend the money for a 22 can I would get the Sparrow instead of the Spectre. The Sparrow is only ~17% ($75) more expensive since you're paying $200 on top of either. And less % difference if you're paying additional transfer fees on top of the $200.

Biggest difference being the Sparrow the threads are separate from the serialized body, so damage to the thread area on a Spectre requires a new stamp (+$200).

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
The 5.56 can may be a better fit on the PS90, but you can't cross it over to the FSN because of the weight. I'd look at any serviceable .22 can that's rated for 5.7. Most of them are, but some may not be. I was going to buy the sparrow, but I decided on a lesser known manufacturer to give them a try; Huntertown Arms Kestrel 22

1 - 7 of 7 Posts