FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5.7 Banshee 100 8" bbl w/Binary Trigger & Burris Prism 3x Red Dot, DBX57 w/Burris Prism 3x Red Dot D
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has become my favorite round to reload. I set up a dedicated turret press for this caliber. I load bullets (cast and factory) from 37gr hps to 55 gr. I use numerous powders that many don't even realize can be used. The coating is a big farce and can be defeated using a dry tumbler with car wax. I now anneal all my brass with just a candle. Both small pistol and small rifle primers can be used equally well. This round can be a GREAT defensive and varmint round when using the right components together. 5.7 x 28mm VS 9mm for defensive purposes? For me, it's not even close! Yeah, I know all about the muzzle energy of both, but when you send a cast 37gr 8-10 bhn hollow point over 2000fps into a soft target, the results are definitely terminal and devistating. Lot's of under-rated propaganda flying around out there on the Interwebs. Don't believe any of it. BTW, Thanks For The Ad!:giggle::giggle::giggle:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome!

I reload shotshell but have never brass. I've collected a fair amount of 5.7 brass with intent on reloading, but have never looked into it much.

What primers do you use? What powder and projectile? Do you source them locally or on the internet? Do you test the speed of your custom loads? What barrel length are those speeds? Do you trim the casings?

·
Registered
5.7 Banshee 100 8" bbl w/Binary Trigger & Burris Prism 3x Red Dot, DBX57 w/Burris Prism 3x Red Dot D
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!

I reload shotshell but have never brass. I've collected a fair amount of 5.7 brass with intent on reloading, but have never looked into it much.

What primers do you use? What powder and projectile? Do you source them locally or on the internet? Do you test the speed of your custom loads? What barrel length are those speeds? Do you trim the casings?
Lots of questions: Any small primer (rifle or pistol) From a 5" bbl, I have gotten speeds 2200+ from lighter bullets 30-40gr. I do trim the cases if they need it. What is important is the following: Anneal, Lube cases very well for sizing, GO SLOW when resizing cases. You WILL get cases stuck in the sizing die from time to time no matter how careful. The shoulders MUST be pushed all the way back to original specs. As for starting charge weights with the following powders I have tried are ALL 4.5 -5 grs to be on the safe side and get a feel of what that particular powder will do. My favorite is Blue Dot. For 55gr bullets, I'm at around 5grs for 15-1700 fps. For my "special" 37gr soft cast hollow points, I'm at 6.2 grs. These cast bullets are really made for the hornet. The ogive is too thick for the 5.7. Thus it must be seated deep to the 2nd grease groove. These will ONLY run in my Ruger 57. They are too short to feed reliably in either of my AR-Type pistols. I use factory bullets with thinner ogives for my ARs. Powders I have used so far are: BE-86, 2400, Longshot, Blue Dot, Herco, Power Pistol, and a few others I can't recall right around this burn rate. Faster powders of medium burn rate can also be used at lower charges around 3-4grs. They are much less efficient with slower velocities however. I use gas checks on my cast bullets, though I have used them without gas checks as well with slower velocities under 1800fps. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great to see another person on planet Earth who is really into loading for the 5.7! I started out a long time ago when all you found on the "innernet" was: "You can't reload 5.7, it's too sensitive!" And, "Reloads will blow up your gun!" And, "Factory loads will blow up your gun!" That last one was stroked all over the gun forums for years with the same photo of a blown Five-Seven that when it finally made it's way back to FN, they determined it was a double overcharge! Of course the truth is nothing at all like that. The 5.7x28 is like every other cartridge and can be loaded by following the same safe and sane process used for every other cartridge. The one caveat I add to this is the need for precision powder weight measurement, and as the OP states, getting the neck properly set back which isn't something all factory dies are capable of! I had to hone down my Lee dies so I had complete authority over where the shoulder would be after sizing. Primer pockets must be either swaged or reamed - I find reaming a lot faster than swaging. I always run a trim sequence as well. Case "refurbishing" is the number one key to successful, reliable reloads in 5.7x28.
As for powders...again, like the OP I've tried many, and I do like Blue Dot. It delivers excellent velocity for the charge weight, but it's also an enormous flake powder that plays H-E-double toothpicks with even the best volumetric powder measure. Speaking of which, I started out weighing EVERY charge on an electronic scale. Then I realized electronic scales are too imprecise and too risky for 5.7 so I went old school and use a beam scale for powder weights. Even weighing every charge I can do it faster on the beam scale than on the e-scale and I know the balance scale is right. But with the right powder, a decent volumetric scale should be capable of delivering precision charges and that happens to be the Redding Competition 10X! It's MADE to deliver precise charges in pistol calibers and it does an amazing job of using old school tech to deliver precise charges of modern powders such as AA-7 which, after much experimentation, I find to be THE ideal powder for the 5.7x28! I used to read a lot about True Blue which is basically identical to AA-5, but I prefer the added bulk of -7 because you cannot overcharge a case with it and not see it!
I do NOT load the 5.7 on a progressive press, though I do use an RCBS turret press to speed up each stage, but each state is completed in turn before moving to the next stage.
ALL cases are light checked after being powdered.
Once I decide on a weight of AA-7, or any of the AA powders because they're made for metered measures, I set my 10X and it throws the charges dead on every time, all the time, without fail. Starting out I literally sat there weighing EVERY charge thrown from the 10X for 50, 100 times before determining it's really as good as the hype....because it's not hype. The measure was made for precision and you get your money's worth for sure.
I too have work with all sorts of bullets and weights and decided anything over 45 grains is going WAY to far in the wrong direction I don't care how cheap surplus 55 grain bullets used to be. I worked up Barnes 45 grain TSX all copper bullets to 1,900 fps and saw my stripping lever get smashed to pieces and realized I had indeed crossed an upper limit! I have clocked 40 grain Vmax at 2,060 fps which is stout, and the list goes on, but suffice it to say I realized the 5.7x28 doesn't NEED to be so hot. I developed my own "power factor" scale using the SS198LF as a baseline and started loading as close to that for all bullet weights as possible which results in 40 grain weight being around 1,750 fps, and 1,850 fps isn't going to hurt anything, but it does hammer the polymer stripping lever!
My reasoning is that the Ft. Hood shooter did what he did using "crappy" (by popular standards) SS197SR ammo, and any drill down into the specifics of that tells you even the ubiquitous factory ammo is absolutely bad news.
Just before Covid hit I was fortunate enough to buy a huge quantity of blue-tip Vmax from Midway and loaded up a thousand rounds at 1,750 fps. I also have a smattering of Speer 33 grain, but the nose is a bit too wide for reliable feeding. The Speer 40 grain SP is a great choice but too short and can cause chambering problems. An ideal choice is the Barnes 36 grain because it has a long nose and can easily go right under 2,000 fps without straining the gun. I also like Barnes 30 grain HP. I think the Barnes 45 grain TSX could be a TL3A vest killer but I've never tested it.
So as I said, it's nice to discover there is as least one other human who has put a lot of thought and time into developing loads for the 5.7x28!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your insight. I agree 100% with all the negative propaganda that is still floating around out there today. My favorite load to date is my cast 37 gr 8-10 bhn hollow point for defense and varmints. It really is a devastating round for it's size with 6.2 grs of Blue Dot. I find my inexpensive Lyman powder throw to work very well with consistent throws even with Blue Dot flakes. I'm using the powders I have on hand at the moment and True Blue seems to be the #1 choice from others I have talked with and when I need more powder it will be a priority. I love loading for this cartridge and it is really no different than any other rifle cartridge except that it's a bit more fragile in the sizing dies. I have both the Lee and RCBS die sets. And I have also ground off a few thousandths from both for a wider adjustment. I found that Sinfire 45gr frangible bullets to feed well in both my Banshee and DBX57 as well as my Ruger 57. I have a round a thousand I purchased from Midway for around 17 pennies a piece. The ogive is ok at the proper seating depth at the cannelure. Refreshing to find another 5.7 enthusiast! ...Welcome!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been sitting way high up on the fence about the Banshee. Here in CA I'd have to build up using a CMMG upper, and I think 8" is better than 5" for the ballistic advantage. But having said all that, I'm torn by the fact that I can also stick with a garden variety 7.5" barrel 5.56x45 and load 40 grain bullets for it which will EASILY surpass 2,300 fps and then some! I like CMMG's approach to the radial delayed blowback, and if 5.7 brass were cheap and readily available I might consider it. Actually, I do have several thousand 5.7 cases on hand, ordered before Covid, but my focus has been on loading for the Five-Seven.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been sitting way high up on the fence about the Banshee. Here in CA I'd have to build up using a CMMG upper, and I think 8" is better than 5" for the ballistic advantage. But having said all that, I'm torn by the fact that I can also stick with a garden variety 7.5" barrel 5.56x45 and load 40 grain bullets for it which will EASILY surpass 2,300 fps and then some! I like CMMG's approach to the radial delayed blowback, and if 5.7 brass were cheap and readily available I might consider it. Actually, I do have several thousand 5.7 cases on hand, ordered before Covid, but my focus has been on loading for the Five-Seven.
Between the Diamond Back DBX57 and the Banshee w / Binary trigger, I prefer the Diamond Back. It's MUCH lighter at 3Lbs.until I added a Burris Prism 3x Red Dot to both. It adds close to another lb. It's so much easier to handle the DBX with folding pistol brace and with the red dot scope, it's a tack driver. It will take a binary trigger as well as it's milspec in that department.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts