FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how efecctive woudl the 5.7 be agianst hostile animals, mainly bears? I want to carry the FN 57 when I am out here in the bush of Alaska and I woudl like to know how effective it would be.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
It might be fine for small animals, but I guarantee you - it isn't powerful enough to take out a bear. MAYBE if you emptied the entire mag into him :D

But don't aim at his head. Bears have super thick skulls. U need a 44 mag at a minimum. The 5.7 round doesn't compare to that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
if you decide to shoot at a bear with your fiveseven, remember to save one bullet for yourself when it's eating you.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thermallator said:
Glock M20 loaded with 180gr. 15 round mags. Nuf said.

-TH
I agree the 10mm is a good round........

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was hoping to reduce the weight, I roll with a Glock 21 at the moment. I have seen the .454 alaskan revover but I really am not a fan of it or revolvers in general. I was trying to justify a reason to by the 57. Time to come up with somthing els. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was reading about 2 people from California who got mauled by a Kodiak a few years back...iirc, the ranger had to fire 11 .45 rounds into it to take it down...and he had 2 people w/ shotguns on standby, just to be safe.

I'd say carry a S&W 500, .44, or at least a .45

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A big gun is great for up here but if your walking down the road trail looking like rambo people are going to look at you funny. I get some strange looks when I have on my glock.

If I was fishing on the shore then yes it is quite acceptable to be pakcing a howitzer. Pull out a 40 pound King salmon and a bear will get interested.

·
Registered
131 Posts
CMANavy said:
A big gun is great for up here but if your walking down the road trail looking like rambo people are going to look at you funny. I get some strange looks when I have on my glock.

If I was fishing on the shore then yes it is quite acceptable to be pakcing a howitzer. Pull out a 40 pound King salmon and a bear will get interested.
You can thank the news media and their demonic representation of fire arms for that !

·
Registered
83 Posts
why on earth would a cop shoot a bear with a .45 when shotguns were available?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Orbital said:
why on earth would a cop shoot a bear with a .45 when shotguns were available?
I was wondering about that myself. The only thing I could think of is they were saving the shotguns for an emergency and just tried using a pistol first. ..or maybe they wanted to find out if a bear could be stopped w/ a .45?

Here's a link to another article discussing the same attack I read about.

Kodiak attack

·
Registered
12 Posts
5.7 against a bear, you joking right? If not, sorry. It just seems to be a common sense kind of question/answer. I would get a Marlin .44 carbine or a Puma .454 Casull Carbine. Lightwieght, yet very powerfull. As for what others think when your walking along, who cares. Im sure Alaskans are used to seeing people with guns.

You can get the Puma 92 Carbine in .454, 16 inch barrel, High Viz Sights..................

http://www.legacysports.com/products/puma/puma_carbines.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shotguns won't do Jack to a bear. Trust me. My gun instructor was involved in an incident where a bear had escaped inside of a zoo and the police shot the bear in the head with slugs and it just made him angrier. So they called Bill in and he shot it with his fully auto HK G3 and it put an end to the situation. The autopsy revealed the slugs flattened out against its scull. I would personally recommend the Smith & Wesson .460 revolver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree somewhat....The 5.7 has enough penetration to penetrate the skull and rupture the brain. It can also rupture the lungs or heart, however with that said, the 5.7 may not have enough stopping power to keep the bear from charging you. In other words, you could shoot it in the heart with the 5.7, but it may take it 30 minutes to an hour to die from the wound. The only way to ensure an immediate drop would be a shot to the brain. If it can penetrate body armor, it can penetrate animal skin....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts