FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend & shooting bud put this up, he's the one who got me hooked on the 5.7 and said he will put up more when he can.
Interesting what it shows.....

22 Magnum vs 5.7x28 :cool:

Two different groups of 195 and 197, pretty interesting

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
My wife i on skype right now, as I type - so I can't watch it (or she would hear it in her call). Can you give me a rundown on the results until I have time to check it out?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Good video, thanks for posting!

Ship- from the info on the youtube page:

FN 5.7x28mm SS195 and SS197 along with Remington Golden Saber 9mm fired into a stack of wet phone books (soaked 48hrs) to show a comparison of penetration, expansion, and "wound profile" in a like media.

5.7 fired from the FN Fiveseven and the 9mm fired from a browning Hi-Power, all from 7 yards.

Both 5.7 loads showed far greater disruption and damage (by 3-4x) than the 9mm and at a greater depth than the max damage of the 9mm.

9mm and SS195 both penetrated to the same depth, the core of the SS197 penetrated about 10% further.
9mm and SS195 penetrated to a depth of about 7", SS197 to about 7.5" if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Great vids and testing. I am surprised that the SS197 went deeper than the ss195 did.

Also how the 9mm only went a little over 6" (Although GoldenSabers are not exactly premium choice self defense ammo) . Either way good tests. :-D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MrNuke7571 said:
Great vids and testing. I am surprised that the SS197 went deeper than the ss195 did.

Also how the 9mm only went a little over 6" (Although GoldenSabers are not exactly premium choice self defense ammo) . Either way good tests.
He also tested 9mm hydra-shock in the phone books for one of the videos and it was about the same as the GSs for depth and expansion, the tomato juice shot was also with the HS.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yeah that's surprising.

I'm thinking the wet phonbooks create a higher resistance/pressure on the larger caliber HP bullets, slowing them down more than the sleek 5.7 rounds.

With the new bullet test tube formula that's the exact same thing I am getting vs 10% ballistics gellatin. The bullets penetrate almost 1/2 they do in ballistics gel and the old BTT formula, and the petals/expansion is far more pronounced and pushed / peeled back more than before.

I am a firm believer that for a bullet to be effective, it has to be large and heavy and let mass take it along the way, even if it travels slowly (that's why 45cal bullets are so effective), or small and extremely fast, and let the energy traveling with and behind the bullet do most of the damage (as in the case of 5.7/5.56/22hornet, etc..). Yes there are deviations but to me it boils down to that.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
MrNuke7571 said:
Yeah that's surprising.

I'm thinking the wet phonbooks create a higher resistance/pressure on the larger caliber HP bullets, slowing them down more than the sleek 5.7 rounds.

With the new bullet test tube formula that's the exact same thing I am getting vs 10% ballistics gellatin. The bullets penetrate almost 1/2 they do in ballistics gel and the old BTT formula, and the petals/expansion is far more pronounced and pushed / peeled back more than before.

I am a firm believer that for a bullet to be effective, it has to be large and heavy and let mass take it along the way, even if it travels slowly (that's why 45cal bullets are so effective), or small and extremely fast, and let the energy traveling with and behind the bullet do most of the damage (as in the case of 5.7/5.56/22hornet, etc..). Yes there are deviations but to me it boils down to that.
:? :? :?

·
Vendor
5,841 Posts
+1 for you farmer Ted! :?

It's nice to see the 195 travelled most of the way going sideways (no frgmentation)

The 197 went further and fragmented. hmmm

Both did more damage then the 9mm. :cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wonder what reloads with 62grn ss109's and 55grn FMJBT would do in comparison with 195 and 197s.... I may have to check into it doing a test. HK SD9 Tactical has much more reload experience and data, maybe he can put something together?

·
Administrator
12,074 Posts
GeneSplicer said:
I wonder what reloads with 62grn ss109's and 55grn FMJBT would do in comparison with 195 and 197s.... I may have to check into it doing a test. HK SD9 Tactical has much more reload experience and data, maybe he can put something together?
The SS195LF and SS197SR rounds are very enemic. This is what we get as a result of FNH actions to appease the BCPGV and like agencies.

The SS109 62g projectile is not on my schedule for testing in my 5.7x28 platform - although at one time I did consider it. To heavy and too slow. These firearms were designed to send a light weight projectile at high speeds not a heavy weight projectile at slow speeds. I figure (just a guess) that the best I could get with a 62g projectile would be around 1400 to 1500 fps (on the high end) which results in 240 foot pounds of energy. By comparision, a 36g will travel at speeds in excess of 2400fps which results in 466 foot pounds of energy.

I have more work to do with the 55g projectiles now that I have found the subsonic speeds that I was looking for. So far I have pushed these to 1800fps but I have not found the top end as this was not the direction I was going - yet.

Unfortunately, my web hosting is changing and I have to migrate my files to the new server. I also am redesigning my website and I am not web 'smart' so its taking me some time to do it, which takes away from my testing additional loads.:cry:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: 5.7mm vs 9mm on YouTube

Farmer Ted said:
A friend & shooting bud put this up, he's the one who got me hooked on the 5.7 and said he will put up more when he can.
Interesting what it shows.....
Great post. :shock:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Just a question: Are the FN 5.7x28MM rounds being fired out of the 16" PS90 and the 9MM being fired out of a Pistol?

Because if you are evaulating the Ammo(5.7mm vs 9MM), then the launching devices should be as close to the exact same thing as possable or the comparison is worthless.

·
Vendor
5,841 Posts
devildoc said:
Just a question: Are the FN 5.7x28MM rounds being fired out of the 16" PS90 and the 9MM being fired out of a Pistol?

Because if you are evaulating the Ammo(5.7mm vs 9MM), then the launching devices should be as close to the exact same thing as possable or the comparison is worthless.
It's being fired from the Fiveseven pistol. :cool:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts