FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any experience with using civilian ammo in a PS-90 on IPSC type steel popper targets? My questions are:

• Did it reliably knock down the Popper type targets when hit?
• Did it damage the steel more than other calibers?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, it's WAY under power factor. The SS195LF is a 28gr bullet going 2K fps or so out of the 5.7. That is only a power factor of 56. Minimum to compete in minor and what the poppers are calibrated for is 125. The heavier SS197 still only looks like a PF of 72.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
NetJunkie said:
Well, it's WAY under power factor. The SS195LF is a 28gr bullet going 2K fps or so out of the 5.7. That is only a power factor of 56. Minimum to compete in minor and what the poppers are calibrated for is 125. The heavier SS197 still only looks like a PF of 72.
Interesting info!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Junkie,
Thanks for your reply. I am not familiar with the “Power Factor” unit of measurement. Could I ask you for a brief explanation as compared to, say a 9mm, 40 S&W or 45 ACP?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Power Factor

IPSC competitors are separated into two groups for scoring: Major and Minor power factor. The power factor is determined from the product of your bullet weight and the velocity of your ammunition. Competitors shooting Major power factor ammo receive additional points for peripheral hits on paper targets. In general, all pistols .40 caliber and up can make Major, and others (such as .38 super, 9x21/23/25) only make Major with handloads. The power factor of your ammunition can be determined using a weight scale and a chronograph.

POWER FACTOR is calculated from bullet weight and velocity:

bullet weight (grains) x velocity (feet per second)

--------------------------------------------------- = Power Factor

MAJOR is from 175 up.

200 gr. .45 bullet at 900 feet/second = 180 power factor.

MINOR is from 125 to 174.999.

125 gr. 9mm bullet at 1000 feet/second = 125 power factor.

OH and by the way, most poppers are adjustable in power factor, some can be set up for as little as 25 for 22. rimfire etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very Interesting! I’m learning here :?

Is there a formal protocol for adjusting the IPSC targets? Most I’ve seen are a simple hinge with a bolt adjusted to keep the target upright.

Also, what about damage to Mild (A-36) steel plate? Is this cartridge any more or less damaging to steel than normal pistol calibers?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dad took his PS90 to Front Site about a year ago for the tactical rifle course. Long story short, he actually took 1st place and that is shooting out to 200 yards with his little PS90 and eotech... that's over people with acogs on their AR's and FAL's. Anyway, about the power, that was the funniest part of the whole weekend. The little PS90 took almost 8 repeated shots to knock down the steel pepper poppers (or whatever you call them). So for accuracy it was top in the class, but for knock down power it was like a little girl.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts