FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Available soon, the new AR-57 Upper Receiver. This highly anticipated upper is a direct replacement for your standard AR upper that will allow you to shoot the FNH 5.7 round. This upper requires no FFL to purchase or receive, and we can ship directly to your home!

The AR-57 platform empowers the operator with 50 rounds of firepower while keeping the magazine out of the way, increasing maneuverability and speed in close quarters conflicts. In addition to it's compact, snag-free design, the spent shells are directed straight towards the floor by exiting the standard AR magwell.

This new offering defines "High speed, low drag".

I originally posted this on Glock Talk and was asked by ShipWreck to post the picture and description I had for it. Anyway, this is all I have on it. I don't know much about the 5.7 round except it's a superior armor penetrator and it's expensive. And that this upper would be a pretty bitchin alternative to a P90 for an AR owner.

I didn't peruse this forum at all prior to posting this, so if it's a repost, sorry.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Thanks for coming to post that - We have pics of the uppers mounted on a lower from the Shot show - but I hadn't seen that pic before - that's why I asked you to come repost that.

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Cool.
Looks interesting!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Now, don't get me wrong. I love my PS90.

BUT..let me get this straight.

I can have an AR-15 sized weapon that fires a less powerful round, albeit with 50 rds on tap, but much less powerful round....all for $700? When I could buy another complete AR-15 for similar price....:-?

I don't see many of these selling IMO. I could be wrong, but other than the cache of it, I don't see much application.

Interesting though....

For me one of the biggest draws of the PS90 was how small a package it is...Otherwise I would have opted for another AR.

Cheers,

PS. I HOPE this takes off like hot cakes so there is increased demand for the 5.7 round!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Man I hope they sell a ton of them. Maybe then we can get some lower price ammo and more intesest in the 5.7 round.

Would I buy a 5.7 AR-15? NO.

But I wouldn't buy a Barrett M82A2 chambered in 5.7 either.

Now that pistol that uses the 50 round P90/PS90 mag that looks alot like the calico is interesting and a bolt action 5.7 is desirable, but I fail to see the point of a $700 AR upper.

·
Registered
857 Posts
It makes no sense to me at all.
If I want an AR type weapon - I'll buy an AR
If I want 50 rounds 5.7 I'll buy a PS90
(I actually have both)

I can find a reason to combine the two for $700
I just don't see the advantage of this

·
Registered
873 Posts
Their price point is too close to a PS 90.

If it were under $500, and I mean substantially under, they would have a chance.

I am very interested in the 5.7 round, but I'm not interested enough to spend $800+ on a pistol or $1200+ for a plastic carbine. A sub $500 upper for the AR that I already own might be an option for me. ($350 would seal the deal).

A CZ 527 (Mini Mauser) Carbine in 5.7 would be a total no brainer purchase.

I have a 527 in 223 and I have embarrassed folks with far more expensive rifles with it. A 5.7 version would rock.

·
Registered
320 Posts
With the price of .223/5.56 ammo on the rise, it's only a matter of time before 5.7 is that much CHEAPER than the rest.

It sure would be nice if 5.7 ammo dropped down to .22lr ammo pricing, than you get an effective round for cheap. :shock:

WHEN that happens (which it probably won't), I'd definitely pick up a 5.7 upper. 8)

·
Registered
980 Posts
If you had an M-16 and this upper you'd be the only person with a civi-legal Full Auto 5.7x28mm.

Just thought I'd mention that in case you've got $16000 that you don't know how to spend. :D

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Promoted Pawn said:
If you had an M-16 and this upper you'd be the only person with a civi-legal Full Auto 5.7x28mm.

Just thought I'd mention that in case you've got $16000 that you don't know how to spend. :D
Kewl idea :?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now, don't get me wrong. I love my PS90.

BUT..let me get this straight.

I can have an AR-15 sized weapon that fires a less powerful round, albeit with 50 rds on tap, but much less powerful round....all for $700? When I could buy another complete AR-15 for similar price....:-?

I don't see many of these selling IMO. I could be wrong, but other than the cache of it, I don't see much application.

Interesting though....

For me one of the biggest draws of the PS90 was how small a package it is...Otherwise I would have opted for another AR.

Cheers,

PS. I HOPE this takes off like hot cakes so there is increased demand for the 5.7 round!
+1

·
Registered
98 Posts
The big question would be, will a M16 and the 5.7 upper even function on full auto. No auto sear trip?

2nd question or 1st opinion( how ever you want to look at it) isnt it time to let the AR platform die? I speak from experince. The AR15/M16 has been one of the most heavly modified systems ever produced just to get it to the point its at today and now anyone who has to use it in a hostile envinorment would rather have a heavy rock to smack the bad guy in the head with. After 6 years in the US Army Rangers and 6 more as a Police Officer I have learned to fear the AR15/M16 more than count on it. Heck ya the FN series are way over priced. Not much cost goes into injected plastic and (very respectfully to the FN brain trust) a 4 year old may have come up with some of there designs (there just that simple), but I have yet to have a Fail to feed/fire, dead hit, stove pipe, broken part, or malfunction from any of my weapons made by FN. Let also not forget more accurate. My opinion they are responcible for the "AK" of the 2000s. Oh yea my AKs are the Romanian scrap metal kits that look like a monkey with 5 thumbs beat them out of a chunk of steel and slapped a few crappy peices of wood on them, BUT they work way better than any AR15/M16 I have ever had the displeasure to trust my life with.

I would'nt poke one of the AR-5.7 uppers with a stick.

nuff said!

·
Registered
164 Posts
You know, as long as someone is going to do this they need one more piece of gear. A plastic box, with the dimensions of a mag, that you can slide in and keep stuff like extra batteries and such.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts