FN Herstal Firearms banner

5.7x28 . Is it a pistol or rifle round?

13K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  RiverRat 
#1 ·
I believe its marketed as a pistol round.If i'm correct is their any documentation to substantiate it.At my club we can only shoot in the ipsc pits with pistol amunition and members of the board and range officers dont have a clue about this bullet.

#2 ·
Actually, the 5.7 ammo was designed for the P90 submachine gun first. After the P90 was design and in service, the Five-Seven handgun was created. The ammo obviously works in both.

Here in the US, the pistol was available first prior to a civilian friendly version of the P90 being made available (as the PS90).

So, technically, I guess U could say it is rifle ammo. Since the rifle was designed first. Also, U don't typically see bottle neck cartridges in a handgun. Although - U do now see 223 AR pistols and such now.

Documentation - well, I've have picked up bits and pieces at different places. But, this is from wikipedia:

The P90:
The P90 entered service in 1994. It is a selective fire, straight blowback-operated firearm with semi-automatic and fully automatic firing modes. It is fully ambidextrous, with an ambidextrous fire selector and charging handle, and downward ejection of spent cases. The P90 is built in a unique bullpup configuration that places the 50-round translucent magazine above the firearm, parallel to the barrel (with the rounds perpendicular to the barrel)
The Five-Seven:

Production history: Designed 2000
Is it pistol or rifle ammo for the purposes U are stating? Don't know what to say. The rifle came first - but it can be used in either a rifle or pistol. U also have 9mm/40cal/45ACP carbines now. And, those are pistol cartridges.

#3 ·
I guess it dependes on what you are shooting it out of ?

22mag shot out of a pistol is a pistol round.
22mag shot out of a rifle is a rifle round.

I.E. the cailber has noting do do with the lengh of the barrel does it?

what came first the chicken or the egg :lol:

#17 ·
ShipWreck said:
Actually, the 5.7 ammo was designed for the P90 submachine gun first. After the P90 was design and in service, the Five-Seven handgun was created. The ammo obviously works in both.

I think your statement above answers the question. It was developed to be fired in a sub-gun. What's the main difference between a sub-gun and a rifle? The sub-gun is made to fire pistol cal ammo. The majority of the time the pistol comes first then a sub-gun is developed to fire the same round. In the case of the P90 FN just got the cart before the horse. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.