FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone like A-Zoom make snap caps (with decent fireing pin impact absorbers) for dry fire practice?

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
No, not for the 5.7 round. There has been talk about the "dummy round" FN has shown in their catalog - but no one seems to be able to get their hands on them

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're right, I have used fired cartridge cases for dry firing.

Unfortunately, in one case I did enough dry fires to punch a hole in the spent primer, which in turn let the firing pin over travel too much. The result was a crystalized and snapped firing pin. If was an old surplus pistol but it can happen on newer guns too if done in excess.

Hey, what can I say. When I dry fire I don't mess around. It's way cheaper than dropping the hammer and having the gun go bang. :)

I kind of doubt that the dummy round FNH is showing in the catalog will handle dry firing. It looks more like the kind of round used to verify that guns will feed from the magazine and eject. MOst of the time the primer material is the same stuff a live primer would be made of minus the priming compound of course. :)

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Isher2000 said:
Unfortunately, in one case I did enough dry fires to punch a hole in the spent primer, which in turn let the firing pin over travel too much. The result was a crystalized and snapped firing pin. If was an old surplus pistol but it can happen on newer guns too if done in excess.
:evil: Thats A LOT of dry firing...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the case of the firing pin I snapped, I was playing with an old Astra 600, God knows how much use it had seen before I met it. Some guns like Glocks for instance are supposed to be immune to this problem. Others like a lot of Eastern Block stuff are very susceptible to firing pin breakage since they usually just float the firing pin in a channel without even using a firing pin spring to control the firing pin movement. Some designs these days even use pre-broken firing pins that bump the rear piece into the front piece to avoid the stresses found in a long thin piece of steel. Bottom line is that I never assume that I can't hurt the gun with substantial dry firing unless the manufacturer explicitly says that it can not be a problem.

Mea culpa though, I do dry fire a lot. I guess some of us take longer to get grooved in on a gun's trigger control than others. Plus I figure the more I dry fire it the more I'm smoothing out the action (assuming that I protect the firing pin from abuse).

My wife on the other hand insists that:

1) OCD is a terrible thing to waste.

2) I wouldn't have to spend so much refresher trigger time on different pistols if I didn't have so many different types to keep up on.

I can't argue 1) but I think it's probably obvious to anyone on this site that too many guns is just an oxymoron. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts