FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know what you guys have tested your 5.7x28mm ammo against and what the outcome was?
What kind of ammo against what type of targets? Penatration tests? Vest tests? Gel tests? Factory ammo, handloaded ammo? Lets see what you have done.

I decided to do a little test to see how the FiveSeven pistol shooting ss192 does with different types of metal so I can see for myself what it actually does.
These two were shot at about 20 yards away(I was afraid of ricochet) and 30 degrees temp.
The first one was 1 inch of aluminum

As you an see it makes a mark but does not go through

The second one was .5 inche of steel

Once again it makes a mark but not as deep as aluminum.

I plan to do some more testing this summer and will post some updates when I do.

·
Registered
636 Posts
cant wait I plan on some testing of my own also I will post info also...

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
ON Glocktalk, there has been some interesting tests done with phone books.

I wish my range would let me set something like that up - but I doubt it :cry:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Besides paper, I've shot two other mediums with the blue tips.

The first is 1/2" mild steel, 5" diameter disks that are cast-offs (read: bound for the recycle bin) from our lasers at work. The impact at 25 yards was pretty good, concidering. It left a little blue ring about 1/2" in diameter in a small depression, with the center of the depression having melted the metal on impact through the scale and about 1/16" deep.

The second medium was 3/4" plywood. I had three pieces stacked together, all of them still frozen from being wet and then stored outside. The rounds penetrated all the way through the frozen wood, leaving a 1 1/2" exit hole. The first penetration was, of course, 1/4" in diameter, and the exit of the first piece of plywood was only a little larger, say 3/8". The next hole was the same size as the exit hole on the previous, but the exit hole was now 3/4". The exit hole for the third piece of plywood was 1 1/2" in diameter, rather irregular, leaving bits of blue and copper laying on the cardboard behind the target. Many of the bits sailed through the cardboard, but I would only hope so.

I would love to test this round on coyotes, but PA regulations forbid a semi-auto, even if it is a varment. I need to get a bolt action rifle in this caliber!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, there is supposedly a bolt action 5.7 rifle in the works from FN.

I've also seen some people claiming to have converted existing bolt actions to work w/ the 5-7. I have no idea how they do it, however.

·
Registered
25 Posts
T/C makes barrels for their pistols, but I never did like the Contender pistol platform. I do respect what the platform is capable of, but I never liked the looks of it. I don't own a Rem 700, I wish I did. I think you still need to get a barrel in 5.7 to make the conversion kit whole. I'd rather buy another PS-90, you'll spend the same amount in the end.

·
Registered
127 Posts
wildeye111 said:
Here is a new photo taken of the same steel plate with two new impacts from the projectile of the FN SS190

Wildeye111,

Great photo!

Looks like the plate penetration by the SS190 and SS91 were basically the same.

Thanks,

Hoover

1 - 11 of 11 Posts