FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D
So I was able to get out today for some more range time with my FNAR. Today I grabbed the correct ammo (my last post I grabbed some plinking reloads by mistake).

These are reloads I make for my remmington LTR. They are winchester brass with a Hornady 168 grain A-max bullet. On the left is a powder charge of 40 grains of IMR 4064 powder and on the right is a 39 grain charge of h4895 powder. All the other stats reloaders may be interested are written on the cards. I did not want to get into how many thousands of an inch I could of seated the bullet away from the barrels rifling or measure the headspace, etc etc, I just want my FNAR for plinking fun. I wanted to know what my FNAR it is accurate to with what ammo I had laying around the house, but I will primarily be shooting surplus plinking ammo.

Groups with the 4064 powder:

Groups with h4895 powder:

As you can see both powders grouped at 5/8 inch or .625MOA and the best news is that I did this using only a bipod on the front, no vice or shooting sled. There was a 8 mph wind blowing from 11 o clock to 5 o clock direction. I am sure this FNAR and my reloads can shoot HALF MOA!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great report megawatt...thanks for sharing. It is good to hear the claimed accuracy substantiated (and then some). :shock:

How would these groups compare to the remington LTR and M1a with the same loads?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
slow007 said:
Great report megawatt...thanks for sharing. It is good to hear the claimed accuracy substantiated (and then some). :shock:

How would these groups compare to the remington LTR and M1a with the same loads?
Great question, the LTR has produced .5 MOA under same conditions with the same ammo and that rifle also has a harris bipod. But then again it is a bolt gun. The FNAR can shoot five times as many rounds as almost as accurate in the same amount of time.

As far as my loaded standard M1A accuracy, I really don't know because I refuse to put a scope on it and I can't see a one inch target at 100 yards away :lol:
The accuracy I would have to say in the FNAR vs M1A goes to the FNAR, and so far the dependability and ruggedness goes to the M1A.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Nice shooting :shock:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
moreair said:
Megawatt.

Have you had any failure to feed, eject or fire with your FNAR while shooting?
Nope, not at all. Absolutely flawless performance so far.

And I have never taken the FNAR completely apart like I usually do with a brand new weapon (kind of an initial inspection and to clean off the assembly lube). I just took it out of the gun case swabbed the bore with a couple of patches, did a general wipe down and have been shooting ever since. I have only put about 250 rounds thru it so far and not one hiccup yet.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have read a couple of articals on the FNAR and held one at a local store yesterday. I am thinking about purchasing one with tax return. So far the only down side is the lack of magazines, complicated break down and some people don't like the stock (I don't mind it, howeever a telescopic stock would be nice to go with the compact theme). Starting to get a reputation for a tac driver and reliable. :?

Local store had it for $1,500.00. I think I could get it cheaper what do you think?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is about what I paid for my FNAR. The ugly part is that I picked it up two weeks before the $125 rebate offer was made avaliable last year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I guess 3 shots is better then nothing, but I really wish guys would quite "accuracy testing" using 3 shot groups. I have fired literally thousands of groups in the last 35 years and I can't tell you how many times the first 3 went into a tiny little group, only to have shots #4 and/or #5 blow out of the group.

Tony

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you thought about dropping to a 150 or 155 grain bullet? These barrels have a 1 in 12 twist. You would need a 1 in 10 (in theory) to stabilize 168 gr. Just my .02

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
crashalwine said:
Have you thought about dropping to a 150 or 155 grain bullet? These barrels have a 1 in 12 twist. You would need a 1 in 10 (in theory) to stabilize 168 gr. Just my .02
Excellent idea that I will have to check into. These were loads I had laying around the house that I made a year ago for another rifle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
crashalwine said:
I am getting excellent groups with Federal Gold 168 SMKs in a 16" 1:11.25 twist barrel on another rifle. I will find out tomorrow if my FNAR likes that load or not, as that is the only decent round I have on hand to try in it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts