FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone out there who might humor me on this? I'm curious how many boxes of 5.7mm ammo will fit in a standard .50 cal. military ammo can?

If anyone's got one, I'd be interested in knowing the same info for a .30 cal. ammo can.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
workingman1976 said:
well i got 1200 rounds of 9mm ball in a 50 cal can (just dumped in), and i still got room for more. So i`m guessing maybe 1400
Boxed, or loose? I want to keep the ammo in its boxes inside the can.

·
Registered
569 Posts
24 boxes (1200 rds) will perfectly fill the small ammo can.
Tomac

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tomac said:
Tomac
The .30 cal. one?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Tomac
The .30 cal. one?
Yep (sorry, forgot to specify). That's just the right size, IMHO, as larger cans get pretty heavy (I do have a large .30 can loaded as well, IIRC it holds 2,400rds but that's a bit much to lug around easily).
Tomac

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tomac said:
Yep (sorry, forgot to specify). That's just the right size, IMHO, as larger cans get pretty heavy (I do have a large .30 can loaded as well, IIRC it holds 2,400rds but that's a bit much to lug around easily).
Tomac
Thanks! Looks like I need to find some .30 cal. boxes instead of the .50 cal. ones.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i just checked, a .50 cal USGI ammo can will hold 65 boxes of 5.7x28 or 3,250 rounds. I left a box out of each row that way you can pull the boxes out easier. If you pack the can full you could have 5 rows of 14 boxes each or 3,500 rounds total.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
horse9640 said:
i just checked, a .50 cal USGI ammo can will hold 65 boxes of 5.7x28 or 3,250 rounds. I left a box out of each row that way you can pull the boxes out easier. If you pack the can full you could have 5 rows of 14 boxes each or 3,500 rounds total.
Well huh. See, this might actually be a better option for me since I could have just one can as my actual cache, and then another for the ammo I use/reload. I like the ability to pick up one can and have 3,500 rounds! Haha. :D :? Thanks!

·
Registered
569 Posts
FSCJedi said:
horse9640 said:
Well huh. See, this might actually be a better option for me since I could have just one can as my actual cache, and then another for the ammo I use/reload. I like the ability to pick up one can and have 3,500 rounds! Haha. :D :? Thanks!
How much does that one can holding 3.5K rds weigh?...
Tomac

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
I know two cases of SS197 is HEAVY.
So I would assume 3500 rounds would be just about as heavy as 4000 rounds.
I've tried to carry two cases before and ended up taking it one case at a time.

·
Registered
475 Posts
when i loaded my .50 cal can i only had 2.8k rounds on hand to put in it, so i'm not able to post a true weight filled to capacity. With 2.8k rounds it weighs approximately 47lbs, but thats only 56 boxes it can hold 70 boxes.

personaly i would stick to the .30 cal cans they hold 1.2k rounds (24 boxes) and weigh 22lbs

with the above figures a full .50 cal could weigh 60lbs +/-

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hm. Good point(s). Anyone know where I can get a couple new (or like new) .30 cal. cans that won't break the bank? I've found new (or like new) .50 cal. cans for about $6 online, but they only get them in periodically.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hm. Good point(s). Anyone know where I can get a couple new (or like new) .30 cal. cans that won't break the bank? I've found new (or like new) .50 cal. cans for about $6 online, but they only get them in periodically.
Due to the high cost of shipping I usually check my local surplus stores & gunshows.
Tomac

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
horse9640 said:
How did you stack the boxes? I can only get 2200, 42 boxes, in a standard 50 cal can. You using a "FAT" 50 cal. can?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Resurrecting this old thread since I FINALLY got a chance to get some ammo cans. I bought four 30 cal. ammo cans and brought them home to fill. And fill them I did! All 4 are full with the aforementioned 24 boxes of ammo - 3 with just SS197 and one with 14 boxes of SS197 and 10 of Wil Baca's SS91. I actually left out a box of 50 assorted specialty rounds and what was left of a box of SS197 (10 rounds, the other 40 are in magazines). I was really surprised at just how perfectly the boxes fit in these cans. Seriously people, 30 cal. ammo cans might as well have been made to store 5.7mm ammo! I'm gonna repaint the sides with stencils to reflect the new contents. :? :?

·
Registered
7 Posts
SONYtec said:
horse9640 said:
How did you stack the boxes? I can only get 2200, 42 boxes, in a standard 50 cal can. You using a "FAT" 50 cal. can?
42 50rd boxes is 2100 rounds (check your math :p), and that is exactly what I was able to fit into a .50 can without crushing anything.

I think the other poster was using a different ammo can, possible the SAW can. The .50 can definitely will NOT hold more than 42 boxes.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
USG said:
SONYtec said:
horse9640 said:
42 50rd boxes is 2100 rounds (check your math :p), and that is exactly what I was able to fit into a .50 can without crushing anything.

I think the other poster was using a different ammo can, possible the SAW can. The .50 can definitely will NOT hold more than 42 boxes.
Took me all day to count that out on my fingers, :roll:

Thanks for the correction! :?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts