FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the forums, and owner of an FN 509 Compact MRD.

The suppressor height sights are black/black, and are at time difficult to get aligned well for me. I notice that there seems to be dots machined/cast onto both the rear app, and front blade. I was thinking I could possibly paint these dots this creating a 3 dot picture; however I’m not sure if they would align properly or not to provide the correct sight picture and poa/poi.
Has anyone else noticed these faint dots machined on to their no dot sights? If so have you made an attempt at the same hack I’m thinking to do myself?

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
I would not paint dots on your sights, in time it will fade or wear off. I would suggest you do as I did with my MRD Midsize and order night sights.

Another option would be taking your 509 to a Gunsmith having them machine dimples in your sights. Afterwards heat tolerant colored epoxy can be used to fill the dimples. This should work and be durable and be properly aligned.

BTW, welcome to the forum...

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome! I would do what SeaMac suggested. In most cases, it's not too difficult to change sights; there are special tools that'll help, but I've also sight changes with a brass punch as well. Having digital calipers helps on that as I can make sure they're aligned properly. Night sights are hard to beat. I wish Heine made some for the FNXs that I have but oh well.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Night sights are hard to beat. I wish Heine made some for the FNXs that I have but oh well.
Yeah, the FN night sights standard height that I had on my FNS9c (sold) and the suppressor height ones on my FNX45T both had the dimmest tritium vials I've experienced. My Kimber night sights actually provide enough light to read (a word at a time) by :D SIG lite 3s almost as good.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
Yeah, the FN night sights standard height that I had on my FNS9c (sold) and the suppressor height ones on my FNX45T both had the dimmest tritium vials I've experienced. My Kimber night sights actually provide enough light to read (a word at a time) by :D SIG lite 3s almost as good.
FN's tritium vials are Trijicon, if they appear dim contact Triji they are very good at honoring warranties. They also make some of the brightest night sights out there. Meprolight are bright as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the welcome and thoughts on sight options. I did make an attempt at painting the sights; however after doing so decided I didn’t like it. Good news...a few sprays of Hornady One Shot quickly put everything back to stock with little effort.

Made a call to FN tech (opt 3/3), and spoke about sights and options. FN confirmed as I’ve seen here in other posts, stock sights are combat hold (covers POA), and that the SIG #8 sights are a direct fit and have the same dovetail, as do the FN supp height night sites of course. If opting for Trijicon, Tru-Glo etc, site picture may or may not change.

I just wasn’t sure I wanted to carry this with an MRD affixed or not so I thought to at least get some dots for faster acquisition. Night sights seem the best option for this.

Thanks again,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts