FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Sirs and Madams.
I recently joined this forum, after having ordered a 509 LS Edge and a 509 Tactical. After reading a about broken striker, I got cold feet. I have read a handful of tests and articles and viewed a few Youtube videos, but haven’t learned about this problem. The only drawbacks in reviews have been the same as on almost all other striker fired pistols, which I don’t have any problems with.
Living in Norway, where there is no official FN dealer, there is quite a wait to get these guns. The importers guess is about three months. What I wonder then, is if these pistols still have problems with the strikers, so I should order strikers for them now or if the problem has been resolved by FN. I hope some of you have knowledge of this and can give me good advise.
Yours sincerely

K. A. Midtsian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dear Sirs and Madams.
I recently joined this forum, after having ordered a 509 LS Edge and a 509 Tactical. After reading a about broken striker, I got cold feet. I have read a handful of tests and articles and viewed a few Youtube videos, but haven’t learned about this problem. The only drawbacks in reviews have been the same as on almost all other striker fired pistols, which I don’t have any problems with.
Living in Norway, where there is no official FN dealer, there is quite a wait to get these guns. The importers guess is about three months. What I wonder then, is if these pistols still have problems with the strikers, so I should order strikers for them now or if the problem has been resolved by FN. I hope some of you have knowledge of this and can give me good advise.
Yours sincerely

K. A. Midtsian
I wouldn't worry about it at all. I have a 509 (full size) and a 509 (compact tactical). No striker issues what so ever. However in the unusual instance that you have a striker failure you can always go with a replacement unit from Apex tactical Heavy Duty Striker for FN 509 . I installed 2 of their triggers with excellent results. In your case the striker, if you had to replace it, is quite easy to install.

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
The common denominator is dry firing leads to broken strikers in 509's. Purchase and use snap caps or purchase and install Apex strikers which hopefully can be obtained in Norway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The common denominator is dry firing leads to broken strikers in 509's. Purchase and use snap caps or purchase and install Apex strikers which hopefully can be obtained in Norway.
I like the striker caps over the snap caps A-ZOOM StrikerCaps as the rubber O ring keeps the dummy round seated and you don't have to chase the plastic rounds all over the floor

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great choice, I have the 509c Tactical and the FNX45 Tactical and love them both, I heard about the striker issues with the 509 ordered an Apex and put thousands of rounds and dry fired it many times and no issues and still have my Apex sticker in its package, haven’t needed it. I’m sold and think the rare crappy ones FN fixed or I’m lucky. Either way welcome to the FN family and community, btw, I love your shows over there I’m hooked on Ragnarok and Lilyhammer on Netflix!

·
Registered
24 Posts

I broke my 1st 509 Tactical striker by dry firing without snap caps and my 2nd striker broke while strictly using snap caps, so I don't think using snap caps is a foolproof way of making sure your striker remains intact. I DID end up buying the Apex striker and haven't had issues since, so that seems like the answer for anyone experiencing issues. I have dry fired Glock triggers what seems like millions of times without snap caps, so not sure why FN choose the material and manufacturing process to make these strikers, cause it's definitely not a good look for them at all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great choice, I have the 509c Tactical and the FNX45 Tactical and love them both, I heard about the striker issues with the 509 ordered an Apex and put thousands of rounds and dry fired it many times and no issues and still have my Apex sticker in its package, haven’t needed it. I’m sold and think the rare crappy ones FN fixed or I’m lucky. Either way welcome to the FN family and community, btw, I love your shows over there I’m hooked on Ragnarok and Lilyhammer on Netflix!
The FNX45 Tactical looks awesome & will be my next choice, I believe. The reason it doesn’t break is that you already have a spare. Murphy doesn’t visit the prepared😄 Thank you for the welcome and I am happy to learn that not only us norwegians like those series👍🏻
Yours truly

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I broke my 1st 509 Tactical striker by dry firing without snap caps and my 2nd striker broke while strictly using snap caps, so I don't think using snap caps is a foolproof way of making sure your striker remains intact. I DID end up buying the Apex striker and haven't had issues since, so that seems like the answer for anyone experiencing issues. I have dry fired Glock triggers what seems like millions of times without snap caps, so not sure why FN choose the material and manufacturing process to make these strikers, cause it's definitely not a good look for them at all.
I agree,it is actually a bit strange that this problem has not been properly resolved. I also, as you, have dry fired my Glocks countless times and they are still flawless, so this should not be unfixable. I can’t see that the principles behind those guns are that different.
Yours truly

·
Registered
15 Posts
The FNX45 Tactical looks awesome & will be my next choice, I believe. The reason it doesn’t break is that you already have a spare. Murphy doesn’t visit the prepared😄 Thank you for the welcome and I am happy to learn that not only us norwegians like those series👍🏻
Yours truly
and after the FNX45 Tactical comes (wait for it.....) the Five-seveN

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and after the FNX45 Tactical comes (wait for it.....) the Five-seveN
Oh, how I wish for that caliber to be legal in Norway. That, and 12.7x99Nato/.50BMG. Sadly, they both are prohibited. The 5.7x28 because of its original purpose of penetrating body armor and the .50 because it’s a designated anti-material caliber. Happily, this year we finally got the .50AE and the 500S&W, after a several year ban, so maybe there’s hope😊👍🏻👍🏻

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh, how I wish for that caliber to be legal in Norway. That, and 12.7x99Nato/.50BMG. Sadly, they both are prohibited. The 5.7x28 because of its original purpose of penetrating body armor and the .50 because it’s a designated anti-material caliber. Happily, this year we finally got the .50AE and the 500S&W, after a several year ban, so maybe there’s hope😊👍🏻👍🏻
Oh you poor poor oppressed soul 😁 On a side note my wife has watched Gunpowder Milkshake (Gunpowder Milkshake (2021) - IMDb) 4 times and this is her range bag now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh you poor poor oppressed soul 😁 On a side note my wife has watched Gunpowder Milkshake (Gunpowder Milkshake (2021) - IMDb) 4 times and this is her range bag now.

View attachment 147913
Yes, we are really oppressed here in Norway😄 First world problems🐒
That rangebag is excellent, Sir, I commend your wife on her choice👍🏻👍🏻 That is definitely not a magnet on unwanted elements, as a typical rangebag can be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, we are really oppressed here in Norway😄 First world problems🐒
That rangebag is excellent, Sir, I commend your wife on her choice👍🏻👍🏻 That is definitely not a magnet on unwanted elements, as a typical rangebag can be.
Watch the movie (it's on Netflix) I'll bet that you will like it.

·
Vendor
1,839 Posts
ShootingSight also just introduced a 509 striker. Machined, not MIM. And I have redesigned it for improved performance, including polished sear surfaces with NiB coating to reduce friction, improved sear geometry to give a sharper break with less creep, an added teflon bearing surface to make the pull smoother. I just put them up on the website, and will finish photography to get a picture added to the web page this weekend, but I put a lot of effort into doing pull testing, so I could document the benefits with data, and I wanted to share the results here.

Rectangle Slope Font Plot Triangle

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
ShootingSight also just introduced a 509 striker. Machined, not MIM. And I have redesigned it for improved performance, including polished sear surfaces with NiB coating to reduce friction, improved sear geometry to give a sharper break with less creep, an added teflon bearing surface to make the pull smoother. I just put them up on the website, and will finish photography to get a picture added to the web page this weekend, but I put a lot of effort into doing pull testing, so I could document the benefits with data, and I wanted to share the results here.

View attachment 149630
Outstanding Art!

In your opinion how does your striker compare with the Edge's conical striker and do you know if the Edge striker is also MIM? Being an owner of your excellent SCAR triggers I can only imagine this is a great striker.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts