FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, this is a last ditch effort to locate an unlocking block pin for a 509t… Im installing an Apex trigger and would like to follow FN recomendation of changing it after removing the old one. After calling FN to say I am disgusted with the customer support is an understatement…I was told I shouldnt have taken it out and that the ONLY place they sell parts to is midwestgunworks…Midwest is currently out of stock and has no idea when more may be coming in from FN. So if I cant buy a replacement pin..which they recomend..for a 900.00 pistol…CANT BUY…they literally offered no help…what kind of company is this??? I love the pistol and was considering buying the new compact version but not if I cant buy small parts for it if need be….If someone on here has a pin I would be very happy to purchase it..thank you and sorry for the rant but I really can not believe I cant buy this part from FN….so disappointed

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi guys, this is a last ditch effort to locate an unlocking block pin for a 509t… Im installing an Apex trigger and would like to follow FN recomendation of changing it after removing the old one. After calling FN to say I am disgusted with the customer support is an understatement…I was told I shouldnt have taken it out and that the ONLY place they sell parts to is midwestgunworks…Midwest is currently out of stock and has no idea when more may be coming in from FN. So if I cant buy a replacement pin..which they recomend..for a 900.00 pistol…CANT BUY…they literally offered no help…what kind of company is this??? I love the pistol and was considering buying the new compact version but not if I cant buy small parts for it if need be….If someone on here has a pin I would be very happy to purchase it..thank you and sorry for the rant but I really can not believe I cant buy this part from FN….so disappointed
Welcome to ownership of FN pistols!

Try to buy parts for an FN509C-- Midwest Gun Works (FN's only parts distributor) doesn't even have a parts diagram for it. Email FN for an inquiry on when they'll offer spare parts for it (ie- recoil spring)... =no response! Poor customer service. I really like FN pistols, I've owned MANY!! But, their service and support is lacking. At least they have the part listed that you're interested in (even though it's out of stock). The 509C recoil spring, for example, is not listed or commercially available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really dont understand it at all…this is 2021…people have a reasonable expectation to be able to buy parts for their firearms…springs, pins etc… I would absolutely understand if there was a supply chain shortage but they are producing thousands of these guns which tells me we should be able to buy the small parts for them. Insult to injury is to charge 900.00 for a gun and not sell a 5.00 part to a customer to help them get their gun operational again. Everyone knows the weak link is the trigger, the factory one is horrible. If they would just embrace the aftermarket support it would benefit them greatly in the sales of their guns. You can buy any part for almist any model Glock from about 100 websites right now..Im steamed I cant even buy this pin from the factory when they reccomend replacing it…..

·
Registered
14 Posts
You'll like the trigger upgrade. But yeah trying to find a $5 pin sucks. MGW is the best source.

I just rolled with the Apex suggestion that using your factory pin will be fine. Mine hasn't walked out. Just remember to drive it out right to left and back in left to right🙂

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well folks I was able to get ahold of the right person at FN who understood my situation and I am happy to report they sent me a pin which I promptly installed today. I am very happy they were able to help me and hope that small parts availibility only continues to get better! Merry Christmas everyone and God bless!

·
Vendor
1,897 Posts
What does the pin look like? Would it be worth creating a secondary market production? Post a picture.

For anyone else considering an upgrade, I specifically designed my replacement striker to maximize the upgrade benefits without having to tear apart the lower. So if you start with my striker, it is simply a disassembly/reassembly of the slide with no tear down of the lower.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What does the pin look like? Would it be worth creating a secondary market production? Post a picture.

For anyone else considering an upgrade, I specifically designed my replacement striker to maximize the upgrade benefits without having to tear apart the lower. So if you start with my striker, it is simply a disassembly/reassembly of the slide with no tear down of the lower.
I think hes talking about the Trigger pin. The one that isn't suppose to come out.

Number 106.

·
Vendor
1,897 Posts
How very strange. It looks to be a straight pin with a groove for a detent spring to lay in. I cannot imagine why removing it would damage the pin such that it can not be re-used. Maybe the detent spring could be damaged, but damage to the pin strikes me as strange.

If the groove had 45 degree walls, pushing the pin out would lift the spring. If the walls of the groove are 90 degrees, and are more than 1 radius deep for the spring wire, you have perpendicular forces that will make something want to break, but on a gut feel, the spring would fail before the pin. Very strange. Unfortunately it now means I need to take apart my 509 to better understand. Damn.

As a first step, I'd get a good magnifier and look to see if the shoulders on the pin look rounded or otherwise damaged by the removal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How very strange. It looks to be a straight pin with a groove for a detent spring to lay in. I cannot imagine why removing it would damage the pin such that it can not be re-used. Maybe the detent spring could be damaged, but damage to the pin strikes me as strange.

If the groove had 45 degree walls, pushing the pin out would lift the spring. If the walls of the groove are 90 degrees, and are more than 1 radius deep for the spring wire, you have perpendicular forces that will make something want to break, but on a gut feel, the spring would fail before the pin. Very strange. Unfortunately it now means I need to take apart my 509 to better understand. Damn.

As a first step, I'd get a good magnifier and look to see if the shoulders on the pin look rounded or otherwise damaged by the removal.
After watching the apex trigger video again I actually think its the pin next to it that FN say should not be removed, its actually no listed in the link I posted. I guess its the frame pin? Talks about removing wrong could break your frame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
FOLKS Go do some homework…
About all these comments are wrong and misleading….

It is the Locking Block pin. I just removed and replaced a few for Apex Triggers. Awesome!
It is the pin from H*%$. It is plain..NO groove, Not to be reused. Does not have LOCTITE…
Midwest Gun Works sells them.
You need to be really skilled and/or research this thing to death before attempting;
AND RUN don’t walk to get the APEX Jig to get it out.
AND its just as hard to get back in! The geometry must just be off just a little Between the pin and locking block to cause all that friction…!!!!
Put in MCarbo 509 kit, APEX Striker, APEX Trigger and SEAR and attached trigger bar.
Watch all the videos till your eyes glaze over…LOL!
Oh YEA!
2.5 to 3LB pulls No grit, awesome reset…
Forget that original split FN plastic trigger…
The APEX Trigger is Metal…

This is the gun now it should be…..

I am completing 3 509 T‘s 1 Full size, 2 Compacts all FDE
No way I could just do one…!

Even if you hire the work…You will not regret it. For what these pistols cost, very worthy upgrade.

·
Registered
21 Posts
FOLKS Go do some homework…
About all these comments are wrong and misleading….

It is the Locking Block pin. I just removed and replaced a few for Apex Triggers. Awesome!
It is the pin from H*%$. It is plain..NO groove, Not to be reused. Does not have LOCTITE…
Midwest Gun Works sells them.
You need to be really skilled and/or research this thing to death before attempting;
AND RUN don’t walk to get the APEX Jig to get it out.
AND its just as hard to get back in! The geometry must just be off just a little Between the pin and locking block to cause all that friction…!!!!
Put in MCarbo 509 kit, APEX Striker, APEX Trigger and SEAR and attached trigger bar.
Watch all the videos till your eyes glaze over…LOL!
Oh YEA!
2.5 to 3LB pulls No grit, awesome reset…
Forget that original split FN plastic trigger…
The APEX Trigger is Metal…

This is the gun now it should be…..

I am completing 3 509 T‘s 1 Full size, 2 Compacts all FDE
No way I could just do one…!

Even if you hire the work…You will not regret it. For what these pistols cost, very worthy upgrade.
Sorry for asking questions and trying to help all is inferior to sheepdogmike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for asking questions and trying to help all is inferior to sheepdogmike.
ELY….
I hope some of that may help others..I was probably trying to take care of multiple issues here, watch GunStories on Outdoor TV and try to get some info out that I have learned about all this FN stuff. Sorry to be too quick on the draw with that post.
We all do better, have more fun when we have each other to ask those questions and build on it.
As soon as I sent that post, I wish that I could have toned it down some…
I am amazed at the knowledge and help that is available here.
Tku for your reply…

·
Registered
29 Posts
To answer your question with part of the original post -
to follow FN recomendation of changing it after removing the old one
Doing this is a teutonic thing. Apparently the Belgians follow the German way of replacing pins, bolts, and nuts when working on mechanical things.They recommend using a new one once the original/old one is removed.

My experience is you don't have to unless you broke or damaged the original. I installed the Apex trigger and sear on my FN 509 and used the original pin. There is no problem as a result.

·
Vendor
1,897 Posts
This is the best answer so far, however I used to live in Belgium, and have difficulty imagining Teutonic and Belgian together as a concept. I'd rather think that there is somewhere a Flemish guide that says you can re-use the pin easily, and as a result the Wallons insist it has to be replaced every time.

·
Premium Member
9,931 Posts
I've done three of the trigger upgrades on the 509T's. I did replace the first pin, but that was only because I f'd up the re-install and mushroomed the end. That was all on me. On he other two, I took my time did it right and re-used the original pin. They aren't going anywhere. The pin is slightly larger in diameter in the center portion (see pic). Probably why it is such a beast to remove/replace. Can't imagine why you shouldn't reuse the pin, unless of course, you go all super-hulk on it, like I did on the first install.

Handwriting Wood Rectangle Font Beige

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Premium Member
9,208 Posts
I'm with @akitainu, as much a b!tch as it is to remove that effin' pin I see no reason not to reuse it. If someone has access to an electron microscope confirming too much a nano amount of material was removed while POUNDING it out then back in I'll buy a new one, until then it remains.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts