FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep in mind this is regards to suppressors and not MG or SBR's etc.

It seems that if you permanently move you need to file the 5320.20 and wait for it to come back approved before you can actually move. However, you don't need approval to take your suppressor to another state (although many recommend it). I don't get it.

Why wouldn't filing the 5320.20 with the ATF be enough to move? Now, if these forms were coming back timely it would be a non issue. I have been hearing of people not getting their 5320.20 back approved for months and it is screwing up their plans. Some people are being forced to put their move on hold or come up with contingency plans. When they initiated e-file they should have concentrated on forms like these because this stuff can be genuinely urgent! Just the fact you can go out of state with out forms but not allowed to move until forms are approved is insane and backwards to me.

Please tell me if I have this wrong because I would love to be wrong here.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
From the ATF Website:

Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate? | ATF

Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate?

Yes, unless the owner is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20 to the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all State and local laws.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (4), 27 CFR 478.28]

From the instructions on the form itself:

A written request and prior authorization from ATF to transport interstate or in foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-
barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun is required under the provisions
of Section 922 (a)(4), Title 18, U.S.C., and Section 478.28, Title 27,
CFR, a letter of request, in duplicate, containing all information required
on this form, may be submitted in lieu of the form.

No mention of suppressors....

·
Administrator
11,185 Posts
Call them and get the answer. I suspect that you are required to notify the ATF if you are moving a suppressor permanently out of state.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Call them and get the answer. I suspect that you are required to notify the ATF if you are moving a suppressor permanently out of state.
I agree that you would have to notify them but waiting for a piece of paper to come back before you move? I don't know?

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary on pretty much anything but suppressors and AOW's. If the move is going to be permanent you should let them know on all NFA items.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary on pretty much anything but suppressors and AOW's. If the move is going to be permanent you should let them know on all NFA items.
I have no issue with letting them know about a move in regards to anything. I just don't want to be hand cuffed waiting for a suppressor move approval form if I don't need to be. Would it be adequate to file the form with your suppressors, move and just get it back at your forwarded address?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Do NOT strap a sign to your car saying class 3 **** inside and I think you will be just fine, but yes get your paper work filed ahead of time

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
To notify the ATF of a permanent move, send a letter stating that the firearm (in this case a suppressor) (include make, model, caliber, s/n, and type- same info on your Form whatever) is being moved to a new address due to a household move.

Send the letter to:

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
National Firearms Act Branch
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, West Virginia 25405 USA

You could also notify them using a Form 5320.20 instead of a letter. The 5320 is not a change of address form, it's an application for interstate travel. You imply the change of address by indicating on the form that the nature of the interstate move is permanent. THE 5320.20 also implies a response is required, thus the duplicate submission. For suppressors, and in the scenario presented in the OP, your intent is simply to notify of a change of address, not to request permission to travel with the suppressor(s) intERstate.

If you want them to notify you of receipt, request so in the letter. That and/or send the letter certified, return receipt requested. If you do a 5320.20, you must send it in duplicate (as with all other forms) and they'll send one back to your original (old) address.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts