FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You read it right. A friend of a friend of a friend has several 55 gallon drums of once fired 5.7x28 brass. What would be a price point on that? I am estimating each holds 70-90k brass. Any input appreciated on this oddball question. Thanks.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The going rate for smaller amounts seems to be about $.10-.12 each. In that quantity I would want a better price, and a way to get a better approximation on the number in the drum. Yellow brass is selling for about $2.00-2.15 a pound at the moment, and if you could get that price, it would be a good deal.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
WHOA that's a lot of once fired brass! Once, you find out how many pieces are in the total lot I would be interested to hear. Thanks.

·
Registered
641 Posts
How bout the person who guesses the closest to the correct amount of cases in there gets to keep it. $1 per try.

·
Registered
912 Posts
How bout the person who guesses the closest to the correct amount of cases in there gets to keep it. $1 per try.
Who would be the unlucky one that would have to count it all?

If it helps, I could weigh a counted 1000 lot of brass that has been cleaned and deprimed to help with the math to get a better idea of the number in the drum. It would work best if someone had 1000 uncleaned and primed as even 1000 primers would add some weight.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I will keep whoever is interested updated via this thread if I pick these up. I am working out the deal now and will offer them to the forum for cheap before i dump them with a wholesaler.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I have been saving my brass just to sell back to forum members at 10 cents a round . Mine are all pristine, with original protective coating. If you dump these on the forum ??? I guess I'm out of luck. ( Oh well ! )

I want to add that you may want to be careful... something tells me to be cautious when making a deal of that nature ( friend of friend, all once fired, ect... ) I bought some " range brass " one time from an alleged stand up member here.... they arrived in terrible condition been reloaded many many times, I cut my losses and had a complaint logged against him).
had to sell cheap & for warn the buyer.... he was OK with them but I was not . Sometimes things aren't what they appear, and with a deal of that magnatude ???? Just be cautious is all I'm saying. Don't mean to be disrespectful to your source or this thread.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am interested in this as well. Ammunition availablility has kept me away from the Five-Seven, but I have been handloading for 20+ years. So a potential deal like this has piqued my interest. Please keep us up to date. I of course would not be interested in 90,000 pieces of brass, but I would be very willing to buy a few thousand off of whomever is willing to sell some once-fired brass in good shape.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Several 55 gallon drums of brass... who and for how long have they been collecting all that???

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
I'd say don't bother with weighing deprimed brass, as I would guess that the drums have the primers still in them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts