FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Probably willing to bet it's too "deadly" for us to have either.. I have not had good luck with frangible rounds depending on construction. Also notice the SB193 is 60gr now..

It says the posted date of those is over 2yrs old for the one.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did some thinking and digging. Contact number on back/last page shows foreign number so might be a military related brochure.

Ammunition

Lists everything but FR 199 as to ammunition. Makes me wonder if SS198 might be on chop block because SS192 being shown again.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Probably willing to bet it's too "deadly" for us to have either.. I have not had good luck with frangible rounds depending on construction. Also notice the SB193 is 60gr now..

It says the posted date of those is over 2yrs old for the one.
I have used frangible at the range for target shooting; against something hard like plate steel, it disintegrates harmlessly into dust.
This is lightweight .45 ACP. I cannot remember, but I think I was using 150gr.

On soft target, the frangible is deadly, as the projectile fragments and breaks apart, the entire projectile's energy is transferred to the target with very little overpenetration except a few specks that can make it out the other side of 12in ballistics gel block.

For the FR199, I assume it will transfer a similar amount of energy; I'm not sure of it's in-flight ballistics, but since the 5.7x28 of all loadings (maybe except the SB193) is faster than the typical .45ACP, I assume the FR199 would carry as much or similar energy as the FR199.

As for FR199 penetrating armor, level3A in this case, I presume it will not. But others have demonstrated that even frangible 5.56 will penetrate 3A and disperse all its energy to the soft target as the frangible projectile breaks apart

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Makes me wonder who makes the projectile. At first I thought it was a barnes varmint grenade, but apparently sinister fire makes lower grain frangibles, but sold only to manufacturers.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Makes me wonder who makes the projectile. At first I thought it was a barnes varmint grenade, but apparently sinister fire makes lower grain frangibles, but sold only to manufacturers.
I gave away Sinterfire frangibles that were 5.7x28mm pills to be loaded, about 5 years ago. They used to sell to Civ. Not sure if they still do. Tips were vulnerable to breaking; brittle. I don't reload.

Would be cool to find FR199 for my collection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts