FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been kicking around a 20s and initially thought that I wanted a 6.5 vs. the .308.

But then I got to thinking about a few things - throat erosion, ammo cost, gun cost, and places to shoot.

On the throat erosion front, it’s concerning that there are LOTS of people talking about the impact of shooting 6.5. Not just with the 20s, but with any type of 6.5 gun. It won’t take you long to read up on this issue - search on “thread erosion“ and “6.5 creedmore”. It’ll give you pause for thought if you’re anything like me. Whether it‘s 1500 or 3000 rounds, that’s a pretty significant difference from what you can expect from a .308 setup. Basically 1/3 to 1/4 the life of a .308. Yep, I get why the 6.5 is “better” - pushing smaller bullet faster for a longer distance, better bullet coefficient, less impact from wind deflection/drift, etc.

Ammo cost? Let’s just say that 6.5 is 2x .308 at present when buying premium ammo. I get that you can roll your own and reduce the costs. Maybe the ammo price changes, maybe it doesn’t.

The gun cost? We all know that you’ll be into a properly outfitted 20s to the tune of $7000-8000. That’s a lot. It’s probably easier to describe myself as a medium distance shooter than a long distance shooter, lol. I routinely shoot out to 300 yards and don’t have to think about it too much to consistently hit man sized targets. Every now and again I’ll shoot out to 500 and am pretty decent with it. All of this with a decent AR10 and a 5.5x scope. I suspect (I think) that the most simple fix to make my groups better is to use a better quality scope. Hence the extra $3000-4000 for a quality LD scope.

Coupled with the fact that it’d be a chore for me to find a 500+ yd range? Well, I’m falling back on the .308 version. Honest, I could probably save $4000 and just outfit my Colt 901 with a Nightforce scope and be mostly where I want to be - I’m never gonna be the guy that shoots 1” groups at 1000 yds. Having said that, what kind of grouping are you guys getting with the 20s on a properly outfitted gun at 500+ yds? And which scopes are you using?

I’m not really trying to talk myself into or out of a 20s - I’m mostly sold on it as I’m an FN junkie and it would be an interesting exercise to expand my ability to shoot at longer distances.

Thoughts/comments welcome. :)

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
Buy a 17s and be done with. It doesn't sound like you're likely to utilize the range and precision offered by the 20s. For the cost savings you can buy a really nice optic a better trigger and still have money left over for ammo. I see zero benefit in owning a long range precision rifle unless you shoot long range precision.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am going to sound like a broken record about this topic...lol.

Trade your 6.5CR for a .308 barrel (I've been seeing people doing this trade quite a bit actually...6.5CR isn't all that whoopty unless all you do is LR shooting)...then chop the .308 barrel to 16"...problem solved...you get to keep your SCAR...be better suited for 700m and in...and be fairly light with a great chassis and barrel...

Sell your SSR stock for $800-1000...get a regular UGG boot...put the extra stock towards ammo or optic...easy peasy...

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
i tend to agree that unless you need something for 1000+ yards, the 6.5cm offers little besides being easier to shoot because of the reduced recoil, and of course easier wind calls. i may get a 6.5cm barrel at some point, but right now i am glad i can shoot cheaper ammo.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I am going to sound like a broken record about this topic...lol.

Trade your 6.5CR for a .308 barrel (I've been seeing people doing this trade quite a bit actually...6.5CR isn't all that whoopty unless all you do is LR shooting)...then chop the .308 barrel to 16"...problem solved...you get to keep your SCAR...be better suited for 700m and in...and be fairly light with a great chassis and barrel...

Sell your SSR stock for $800-1000...get a regular UGG boot...put the extra stock towards ammo or optic...easy peasy...
He hasn't bought one yet, he's just weighing the argument of 6.5 vs. 308. After reading the 6.5 20S popping primers thread I'd lean even further into the 308 camp (I'm already firmly into that camp/cartridge anyway).

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
He hasn't bought one yet, he's just weighing the argument of 6.5 vs. 308. After reading the 6.5 20S popping primers thread I'd lean even further into the 308 camp (I'm already firmly into that camp/cartridge anyway).
yeah, it seems he already has an AR-10 for medium duty. makes sense to stick to a caliber he has already.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Indeed. There’s a lot about the 20s that appeals to me - the trigger, the heavy barrel, the 20” barrel, the stock, the adjustable comb, and more. Do I need a 20s? Well, no. But I don’t need a lotta things. I’m pretty good at thumping 19” steel targets at 1000’ or so with what I’ve got. And while I can’t think of too many scenarios where I’d absolutely, 100% need to have a 2” group at distances beyond 1000’, it sure is fun to practice and get better.

And then there’s this… its Hard to say that’s not pretty cool looking. Shamelessly stolen from the innerweb…

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
With the history, knowledge base and versatility of the .308 Winchester cartridge I see this as a no brainer. Not knocking the 6.5CM but the .308 it ain't.

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
Indeed. There’s a lot about the 20s that appeals to me - the trigger, the heavy barrel, the 20” barrel, the stock, the adjustable comb, and more. Do I need a 20s? Well, no. But I don’t need a lotta things. I’m pretty good at thumping 19” steel targets at 1000’ or so with what I’ve got. And while I can’t think of too many scenarios where I’d absolutely, 100% need to have a 2” group at distances beyond 1000’, it sure is fun to practice and get better.

And then there’s this… its Hard to say that’s not pretty cool looking. Shamelessly stolen from the innerweb…

View attachment 146949
Well then if you've got the money buy a .308 AND a 6.5 SCAR 20s.

·
Registered
635 Posts
6.5CM is the new rage but I personally do not like it. It reminds me very similar to 40SW…

6.5CM is pretty hard on barrels too…barrel life is practically cut in half…if that matters. Especially around the throat…

Recoil wise. I can’t tell a difference between 6.5 to .308…

As many said…I see an advantage of switching to 6.5 if and only if I would consistently fire passed 800m…otherwise. I’ll just stick to 7.62x51…

·
Registered
635 Posts

View attachment 146949
Unless you are running something above 1.5" scope mount...the SSR stock doesn't offer any real advantage over a factory UGG...I was not impressed by the stock...that is me personally...sure does look freaking cool though...

·
Registered
1,682 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
lol, it took too long to load. i got nothing against 6.5cm...
but i don't shoot free throws with a girls basketball so i can make more shots.
if i ever intend to shoot something i cannot reliably hit with factory 7.62x51mm ammo, i will get a caliber more suited for it.
Sadly I don't own an Scar but I do own a M1A in .308. I could got one in 6.5cm but didn't, I can shoot .308 or 7.62 through it with no problems

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Dan,

Kilgore here, I don't know if you've landed on a caliber yet but here's my thoughts. Competent long range shooting is a carefully developed skill (as well as a perishable skill), requiring the investment of lots of time and resources. In order to effectively utilize the admitted advantages of 6.5 over 7.62 in that realm, you're probably talking a commitment that I'm certainly not willing to make at this point in my life. I'm thinking that in terms of the increased number of rounds involved, effectively mastering the skill would actually get you into the advantage of 7.62 over 6.5 in barrel life!

The bottom line for me is that almost ALL of these platforms and all of these calibers have a higher accuracy potential than I'm personally able to utilize and I shoot a good bit (2-3 times a week). I'm real clear that a better use of my resources in most cases would be to invest more in time and ammo than in a more capable platform.

Let us know where you land on this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey doc, thanks for the comments. I actually brought home a 20s today. I pretty much knew at the beginning of this thread that I was gonna buy one, and was seriously considering the 6.5. I ended up with a .308 and am going to take some time to buy the right scope and some other accessories.

I thoroughly agree with you on time spent and my eventual goal. I’m already a pretty decent mid-range shooter (I know few people in my immediate circle who can consistently make 1000’ shots), and while I do want to up my game, I’m not gonna be the guy that shoots 10k rounds a year. I’d be real happy with MOA at 1500’, and ecstatic with 1/2 MOA.

I just like the look of the 20s, and the trigger and stock were pluses for me. I get that I didn’t necessarily need to buy a new gun to achieve what I’m talking about here (a new scope, sure), but whoever said, “I don’t need to buy a new gun???” That’s crazy talk.

As an aside, I had a 17 and wasn’t crazy about it. I too thought about SBRing it, but I wasn’t real happy with the stock. The 20s stock just fits me better. I sold the 17 a few years ago, which is pretty rare for me as I haven’t generally sold guns.

On a completely unrelated note, I SBRd an AR45 last year and bought a DI 8” upper from Macon Armory a few months ago. Just got a shipping notice this week and it’s supposed to show up today or tomorrow. Bowers hooked me up with a ton of grease gun mags, so I’ll probably be posting pics/experiences over on the bus.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey doc, thanks for the comments. I actually brought home a 20s today. I pretty much knew at the beginning of this thread that I was gonna buy one, and was seriously considering the 6.5. I ended up with a .308 and am going to take some time to buy the right scope and some other accessories.

I thoroughly agree with you on time spent and my eventual goal. I’m already a pretty decent mid-range shooter (I know few people in my immediate circle who can consistently make 1000’ shots), and while I do want to up my game, I’m not gonna be the guy that shoots 10k rounds a year. I’d be real happy with MOA at 1500’, and ecstatic with 1/2 MOA.

I just like the look of the 20s, and the trigger and stock were pluses for me. I get that I didn’t necessarily need to buy a new gun to achieve what I’m talking about here (a new scope, sure), but whoever said, “I don’t need to buy a new gun???” That’s crazy talk.

As an aside, I had a 17 and wasn’t crazy about it. I too thought about SBRing it, but I wasn’t real happy with the stock. The 20s stock just fits me better. I sold the 17 a few years ago, which is pretty rare for me as I haven’t generally sold guns.

On a completely unrelated note, I SBRd an AR45 last year and bought a DI 8” upper from Macon Armory a few months ago. Just got a shipping notice this week and it’s supposed to show up today or tomorrow. Bowers hooked me up with a ton of grease gun mags, so I’ll probably be posting pics/experiences over on the bus.
Lololol.......I have a TON of grease gun mags I got from the hippie back in the day! I'm feeding a mac with them. I'm sure you saw my final report on my 17s on the boarf. I've finally gotten it into a functional and enjoyable state. I had to change the stock on mine and the ACR one is much better for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts