FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
that would be sweet, with a dropin coversion to 7.62-39 then you would have the only weapon you would ever need.

·
Registered
630 Posts
the 6.8 caliber really interests me, it has almost the knock down power of the 7.62*51 with the ablitiy to carry more ammo because of its lighter wieght and gives us a much better round then either the 5.56 or the 7.62*39
I just wish I could find enough of it at a cheaper price

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
How about the 6.5 Grendel. Better out past 400 yards, though I don't know how well it would load on full auto (although most of us will never fire a SCAR on full auto anyway)

·
Registered
94 Posts
djv38 said:
How about the 6.5 Grendel. Better out past 400 yards, though I don't know how well it would load on full auto (although most of us will never fire a SCAR on full auto anyway)
Yup, I'd like to see a 6.5 conversion as well. :? :? :?

The more caliber conversion options the better IMO. I'd even like to see a .50 Baeowulf. Imagine that in a SCAR! :twisted:

·
Registered
265 Posts
It won't happen for a long while. They've built some for testing, but there's about zero interest in it in military circles.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yep, I bet NATO standard is all you will see for years to come. 5.56 and 7.62 are just fine, so long as you have both, which all squads do these days.

·
Registered
265 Posts
itstock said:
It sounds like you all need to be looking in to the Robinson Armament XCR.
I've been seeing a big push on the XCR on mulitple boards lately, what's up?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Does the Robinson XCR have any chance of being involved in Military Contract Bids or is it's main market limited to civilian/LE? I've heard many people tout it as the solution. Seems like those Robinson rifles have been around for awhile.

-- Update Edit: I did some research and it looks like Robinson sent some rifles to the Army for evaluation, but forgot to include BFA's (blank firing attachment) in their shipment, the BFA's were sent next day but they still got rejected. Interesting. Truth be told, I doubt a small company like that could keep up with the production demands of a large military contract like FN can. Nice to see a local (SLC) company putting out a high quality product though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinson_Arms_XCR

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can't see what's wrong with the XCR, if I wanted a quick-change caliber conversion rifle that is really one of the only ones out there right now.

I would like to know where these rumors started. Not even the FN military page mentions anything except 7.62x51 and 5.56 for the two models, with 7.62x39 "possibly" being available for the "H" model. If that's the case, then it would stand to reason that the "H" model could also be converted to fire the 5.56, wouldn't it? A shim in the magazine well would be the only thing required, unless there is a substantial difference in the operation between the two models (such as clearances), but that could be overcome with some clever engineering of the bolt.

Finding "just the facts" seems to be difficult. I would guess they probably don't want to let the cat out of the bag if they are in fact planning a 6.8.

·
Registered
630 Posts
it got my info from some socom guys that love the 6.8 everyone that shoots it loves it

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'll take the two we know about and plead for the exotics later.

:eek: Tic toc tic toc

·
Registered
630 Posts
the 6.8 is not an exotic with millions of rounds being sold each month and being it is a much better round then the 5.56 don;t be surprised if you see other armies switching to it soon

·
Registered
114 Posts
I looked at the balistic comparation in this aricle:

http://www.65grendel.com/faq.htm

The 6.5 Grendel has some solid advantages over the 6.8. I'd love to see it introduced. It has the best chance to replace a wide variety of weapons in both 5.56 and 7.62. Good energy retention, armor penetration, soft recoil and flat trajectory. It looks like the best trade off.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts