FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Mark I for just over a month and half now and have put about 500 rounds through it so far.

I've fired several types of ammunition through my SLP, below are my experiences with each in order from lowest quality to highest (in my opinion and experience).

Federal Ultra-Shok Heavy High Velocity Steel: 12 gauge, 3" magnum shell, 1 1/4 oz shot, 4 shot, 1450fps (Item #: PW142 4)

This is the worst quality ammunition I've ever experienced. I swapped in the heavy piston for this firing session during which I fired just over 30 of these shells. I experienced 3 cycling failures and 1 jam in which the fired shell was stuck in the chamber, hot, and would not eject. It then left a coating of burnt plastic on my chamber which was a pain in the butt to clean off. I'll never fire this again. This also had the greatest recoil and did hurt like hell. Shell color: pale dark red; texture: fluted; primer ring: burred and rough

Federal Multi-Purpose Load (Field & Target): 12 gauge, 2.75" shell, 3 DRAM EQ, 1 1/8 oz shot, 7 1/2 shot, 1200FPS (Item #: MP12 7.5)

The Federal Multi-Purpose Load shells from W-Mart came in a 100-round "value" box for just over $20 and are very low quality shells that I won't be firing again. I put all 100 shells through my SLP in about an hour with 5 cycling failures and a lot of fouling left in the chamber. Ejection was soft and the smell was foul. Shell color: dark red/maroon; texture: fluted; primer ring: burred and rough

Remington ShurShot Heavy Dove: 12 gauge, 2.75" shell, 1 1/8 oz shot, 7 /2 shot, 1255 fps (Item #: R12HD75)

These Remington shells were better than the Federal cheap stuff above, I fired 25 rounds in rapid succession with no cycling failures or jams reported, however, I noticed that ejection was soft, recoil seemed greater and powder seemed to be of lesser quality than Winchester AAs, mainly due to increased fouling displacement in chamber. Shell color: Green; texture: fluted; primer ring: copper

Remington Game Loads: 12 gauge, 2.75" shell, 1 oz shot, 6 shot, 1290 fps (Item #: GL126)

These Remington Game Loads have a smooth copper lining around the primer which is a much higher quality than the ShurShot or any of the Federal ammo above. I fired only 25 rounds of this stuff, but ejection was strong, it cycled every time and left less fouling in my chamber than anything above. Shell color: black; texture: fluted; primer ring: shiny copper

Remington Premier Nitro Sporting Clays: 12 gauge, 2.75" shell, 1 1/8 oz shot, 7 1/2 shot, 1300fps (Item #: STS12NSC7)

These Remington Nitros have a smooth shell which are really slick and work more reliably in the semi-auto action of the SLP. I was able to empty the 9 rounds very quickly with hard ejection, no cycling issues, and well-burnt powder which didn't smell quite as foul as the cheap Federal stuff above. I fired only 25 rounds but it was a positive enough experience to justify trying it again in the future. I found that the primer had a rather burred edge to it which surprised me given that this was supposed to be a slighty higher quality choice from Remington. Shell color: gold; texture; smooth; primer ring: rough, burred brass

Winchester AA Suport Sport Sporting Clays: 12 gauge, 2.75" shell, 1 1/8 oz shot, 7.5 and 8 shot, 1300fps (Item #: AASC128)

This is the highest quality ammunition that I've fired in the SLP and is now my primary ammunition. I have fired just under 300 rounds of this with zero problems. Every round has gone bang, every time with very positive, hard/powerful ejection, clean burning powder leaving little residue/fouling in the chamber, ultra-consistent and reliable. Absolutely no cycling issues with this to report. It went bang every time. This ammunition is noticably higher quality than any of the Remington or Federal ammunition reviewed above. In examining each round, the primer itself is copper and the surrounding bushing is very smooth. Also, where the brass meets the plastic hull is very smooth with no burring, it is one smooth shell, the way it is supposed to be. Finally the outside is very shiny and slick, which feeds perfectly into the semi-auto action of the SLP. I can empty 9 rounds out of the SLP with this ammunition as fast as I can pull the trigger with absolutely no problems at all. During one session I fired about 200 rounds after which there was noticably less fouling than with just 30 of the cheap Federal 3" magnum rounds. I've found the Winchester AA Super Sport Sporting Clays to provide the consistency, reliability, and performance that I want from my SLP. It makes a great choice from everything from sporting clays to a good defensive load primarily due to its reliability and proper feeding in the SLP. I HIGHLY recommend it!

*My gun was cleaned thoroughly after each shooting session with Hoppes #9 in the barrel, action and trigger, and SLIP2000 and Break Free CLP in the gas piston. I used Hoppes Elite Gun Oil in the gun for 3 sessions and Slip2000 Extreme Weapons Lubricant (EWL) for the other 2 sessions. EWL is now my primary gun lube for both my SLP and my AR.

Hope this was informative, let me know what you think. I LOVE THIS GUN!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I used the light piston on everything except for the 3" Federal high velocity shells, I switched to the heavy for that and experienced 1 jam and 3 cycling failures...blah

I've since put 300 more rounds of the Winchester AA Super Sport Sporting clays through the shotgun without a single incident.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just came back from the range trying to break in my FN SLP (18"). Had horrible luck w/ the Winchester Super X Heavy Game Loads (3 1/4 dr. eq., 1 1/8 oz, 6 shot) (XU12H6) At least one in 6 shots resulted in a stove pipe or other type of ejection failure. Light piston installed.

Luckily, I had several boxes of Federal Tactical Buckshot LE127-00. Ran about 15 shots through and not one problem.

I'm going to reassess my break-in ammo choice. I think I've figured out that brass (vs. nickel-coated) shells may be better for my FN. Alternatively, the Federals are 3mm longer than the Winchesters.

I just found a box of Remington Heavy Dove (same specs as the Winchester) (R12HD-6). It has the brass coated shell, and the length is between the Winchester and Federal. I'll take this box to the range next time to see how the FN likes it.

Anyone else notice that their gun prefers brass vs. nickel coated shells?

Thanks.

Robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts