FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for my next rifle. I already own a Remington 700 in .30-06 for long range work. But now I'm looking for a good carbine size 7.62 rifle that still gives decent accuracy out to 200 yds.

I was looking into the S/A M1A Scout Squad, but I've heard of some horror stories of the newest springfields having receiver/bolt problems.

I was also considering the AR-10 and PTR-91 SC.

I'd love a standard SCAR-H (If it ever becomes available.)

Any suggestions (besides to wait for the SCAR)? All opinions welcome.

·
Vendor
5,887 Posts
I have an M1A and I love it!!! It is not the carbine version so I use it for the 200 yard plus shooting. Easy to clean and assemble. I'd suggest going with this type of rifle.
I have an HK91 clone and it works great also but I don't like the way the hand guards get hot when you shoot 40 round relatively fast. and it is a pain to clean.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
DSA FAL?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:

Yup, DSA 18" or 16" FAL SA-58 Carbine, standard gas system.

The StG-58 Carbines are excellent buys as well.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I've heard great things about the DPMS AP4 carbine. Unless you have an issue with DI AR platforms.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The DPMS doesn't look bad. I was also looking at the Rock River LAR-8 A4. It's a couple hundred more, but I don't know much about the quality of the DPMS. I have a Rock River National Match LAR-15 and it is exceptional quality.

·
Registered
114 Posts
FAL is one legendary rifle.

Every time you saw on TV wars from Africa and third world against commies, there was the FAL fighting the mean commie AK-47. :MM: :shock:

You already have a good long range rifle, so for 200m shooting, I'd get something in between 5.56 and the full size 7.62 NATO. Something like 6.8 Rem SPC or the 6.5 Grendel. At 200m the 6.8mm is probably the best choice.

·
Registered
475 Posts
looking for a 7.62 carbine then i would go with a FAL, if you want new go with DSA

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree about the FAL.

Adjustable gas system, the 16.25" carbine version with the folding stock is still pretty short, 20-30rnd mags available and cheap, recoil is very manageable and accuracy if you can shoot well is easily sub 2" with a good optic.
My Sa58 with the 16.25" barrel can get me 4-5" groups off-hand at 100yards which is good for a battle rifle.

It's a hard toss-up between the FAL and my AR15 setup for day/night use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts