FN Herstal Firearms banner

7.62x51 vs .308 in SCAR17 chamber

21K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  SONYtec 
#1 ·
I apologize if this is a rehashed question. I can't find a solid answer to this question.

I will be purchasing a SCAR17 in the coming months and am planning on buying ammo ahead of time. I keep seeing/reading both sides of the coin regarding .308/7.62. One side says they're the same, the other disagrees. The research I've done indicates the danger in using .308 in a 7.62 chambered rifle is in the head space difference.

Have any of you that already own a 17s used .308 in your SCARs? If not what are you using at indoor rangers (for sighting purposes) since M80 tends to be bi metal? And if you are using .308 what brand?

#2 ·
I don't mean to be a dick but use the search function here on FNF for all things FN. This question has been beaten to dust. The scar can handle both no problem.

#5 ·
.308 is fine for use in the SACR17.

Most of the 7.62 ammo is constructed today with .308 Win headspace specs. There are those odd balls though and with any ammo, you have to consider the source.

I agree that there is very conflicting data on this and ultimately the end user us responsible for utilizing the proper ammo.

Page 17/18 of the SCAR ammo indicates that "The SCAR 17S is designed to operate with NATO spec 7.62X51mm ammunition (.308 Win.)." This tells me that either is fine with this firearm.

Fulton Armory: What's the Difference between .308 Winchester & 7.62x51mm NATO?

#11 ·
My bad. That's why I opened with that statement. :(. Welcome to FNF don't mind the grouchy guy (me). Got too much sand in my pants out here :-D

#12 ·
I've rocked 7.62x51 surplus from 1965(LC) forward through 1968 (MEN and MF), danced through the 70's with Hirt, Port, Chilean surplus rocked and rolled right around 1980 with HXP, South African, more Port, and finally grunged my way through the 90's with Radway Green and the like.

Notwithstanding some Aussie Ball from 1984 that had case defects that would split right above the head (known issue with MF-80's from time to time) I've never had any issues. Nor any, ever, not any the slightest jam with the SCAR. Ever.

#15 ·
Let me summarize:

1. The difference between .308 and 7.62 x 51 is minimal.

2. The SCAR will shoot both just fine, as would most battle rifle types.

3. Manufacturers of arms and ammo would use the two designations interchangeably. Sometimes they would stamp or label both on the rifle receiver or on the ammo box.

#17 ·
Thank you to the people who answers this person's question without tell him to search for it.

I have ran both calibers in my gun with little to no difference. I usually just buy whatever the cheapest is but would prefer the nato round just in the same way that I would pick 223 over 556. Usually the nato round is a little hotter but really I don't find much of a difference in the applications I am using the gun for, punching holes in paper.

#20 ·
There isn't much difference to worry about.

Unlike the .223 cal. v. 5.56mm issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.