FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Remington 700 SPS Tactical rifle earlier this year, finally got to shoot it at 300 yards today. Sent 12 rounds downrange and got them all within the 5 inch shoot-n-see target covering the bullseye. Still getting used to the trigger, but overall pretty happy with the results so far!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm thinking about picking up one in .223/5.56 soon as it is a sweet looking rifle and has a great trigger by what I felt.

I have to sell my Marlin 917vss 17hmr Bolt action first though.

What kind of groups do you get at 100yards with it? What scope are you using, and ammo? BTW what caliber is yours.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Nice rifle, I've been eyeballing them for awhile. Is that a hogue shock? Also what's your thoughts on the action, is it smooth?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been looking at them too. I have a .308 AR but would like a bolt action for suppressed shooting and accuracy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will try to answer all ?'s :)
Mine's a .308.
The X-Mark trigger that comes on this model is nice, just a little bit heavier pull than I like(~6lbs).
100 yard groups are touching within ~ .5 inch (i might have a pic somewhere).
Scope is a Falcon Menace 4.5-18X ESLR (they're out of the UK, best bang for the buck IMO, you can see them reviewed on snipercentral). The eye relief is kinda tricky and I need to get a cheek rest to raise up a bit.
Ammo is Hornady AMAX 168grain with 40grains of Reloader15 (this was my first set of reloads).
It is a Hogue stock, which is really nice.
The action seems smooth to me, but I'm new to shooting 308 and this is my first bolt-action rifle (others are all semi-auto) so I don't know if my opinion is any good :)

At the range, I shot 5 rounds at 200 yards, 3 of them were touching so I was ready to shoot at 300 yards. I did my MOA adjustment (starting [email protected]) which was, according to my non-chronographed estimates of velocity, 14 more clicks for 300. The shot that is in the dead center of the target touching the 10 was the first shot I took. My buddy told me afterwards that I should have told the guy I was shooting with "well, I hit what I was aiming for...guess I can wait around for you to hit yours" :lol:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MrNuke7571 said:
I'm thinking about picking up one in .223/5.56 soon as it is a sweet looking rifle and has a great trigger by what I felt.

I have to sell my Marlin 917vss 17hmr Bolt action first though.

What kind of groups do you get at 100yards with it? What scope are you using, and ammo? BTW what caliber is yours.
shot some hand loads at 100 yards yesterday.
168gr Hornady A-MAX with 40 grains of Reloader 15. Still getting used to the trigger (see that outlier on the bottom target) but pretty happy with it so far!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts