FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This has been the hot topic over the last few months. Izhmash was supposed to start importation of a 9mm AK in 2015. The sanctions put an end to that, but Atlantic Firearms already had something in the works, and it is close to completion. This is a post put up by Atlantic on the subject regarding their 9mm AK on AK forums.

"We are currently in the torture testing phase of the AK 9 MM Pistol and Rifle project, the guns should be in the final approval phase in the next 12 -14 days and then go into production . "

I have been wanting a pistol caliber carbine for quite some time, and have been torn between the less expensive 9mm uzi clone, or the .45 acp Thompson. There are others, such as the ones from Baretta, Hi Point, and the various AR 9mm brands, and maybe a few others, but none have excited me very much. This one may be just what the doctor ordered!

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Interesting. But I'll stick with 9mm platforms that has better track record and magazine and part availability.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
magazines should be either MP5 mags, or another... i forgot what was said. availability should not be a problem. AR 9mm mags i think was the other.
MP5 mags aren't exactly readily available lol. Nice if it does take Colt mags, but what advantages does the platform have over AR 9mm?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
but what advantages does the platform have over AR 9mm?
Well... to me, the fact that it is an AK IS the advantage over an AR 9mm :icon_razz: but mostly it means the same thing it means for those that pick the AR 9mm... cheaper to shoot with the same manual of arms.

Plus with the 9mm i can shoot the steel targets at close range without tearing them up with high velocity 30 cal rounds.

Plenty of MP5 mags on GB. Some are .22lr version but still lots to choose from. I think availability could be a little better if they chose the Uzi mags, but they are still available.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
but what advantages does the platform have over AR 9mm?
Precision Russian Machining and attention to the details. :-D
j/k
I'm interested in seeing these but mags reliability/availability are one thing I want to see before I get too interested.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Well... to me, the fact that it is an AK IS the advantage over an AR 9mm :icon_razz: but mostly it means the same thing it means for those that pick the AR 9mm... cheaper to shoot with the same manual of arms.

Plus with the 9mm i can shoot the steel targets at close range without tearing them up with high velocity 30 cal rounds.
How so? The whole AK vs AR debate basically boils down to long stroke piston vs di which isn't relevant here if both are blowback. Also 7.62 or 5.45 are almost cheap as 9mm.

Just seems like the only real benefit is the fact that it's an AK in 9mm and people generally associate any AK with durability and reliability. But I think Saiga 12s already proven that reliability isn't inherent to all AK designs.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
How so? The whole AK vs AR debate basically boils down to long stroke piston vs di which isn't relevant here if both are blowback. Also 7.62 or 5.45 are almost cheap as 9mm.
I can't shoot steel targets with the cheap bi-metal jackets unless i want to replace expensive targets regularly. so i have to use the expensive stuff. I can load 9mm much cheaper and easier than 7.62 anything. I like the AK over the AR. That is just me. I could start listing reasons why , but it is irrelevent. I don't have an AR so a 9mm AK is a natural choice for me.

Also it will be a lot easier to teach my kids to use the AK on a 9mm chambered gun than a 7.62 one because of recoil and such.

I have been eyeing a 20" FN 15 though..:smile:

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Meh... Don't need one.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Need? Who said anything about "need" ? LOL. :icon_razz:

The Tavor is nice and i like it, but it is not really on my list at this time. maybe some day. I think though if i were going to spend that kind of money, i would spend a little more and get a FS2000.
Why? I mean get that it's an FN but as mentioned Tavor has a 9mm conversation option and it's arguably the more tested rifle.

Also you don't like the CX storm because it's too plasticky but isn't Tavor and FS2k mostly polymer as well (so are most modern combat rifles and pistols for that matter)?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Why? I mean get that it's an FN but as mentioned Tavor has a 9mm conversation option and it's arguably the more tested rifle.

Also you don't like the CX storm because it's too plasticky but isn't Tavor and FS2k mostly polymer as well (so are most modern combat rifles and pistols for that matter)?
I did not say i was going too, I said "IF" i were to spend that much money. Actually what i should have said is.. If i were to spend that much money on one gun it would probably be a WW II something. If i already had most of the other stuff i want then Something like the Tavor or FS2000 may be on my list. but if i were to get a bullpup rifle, it would probably be a FS2000. I have just liked them for a number of years now. I just like the space age look, and i really like the way it ejects the casings. I could see that as being a big plus for gathering brass to reload. Of course just about anything is better than the low Earth orbit the AK ejects brass into.

I should add, that i would rather have a dedicated pistol caliber carbine, rather than swaping something back and forth.

I also hope to add a Thompson someday. (semi-auto) If that ever happens, I may just have to go down the SBR stamp road as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.