FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past I've seen where people ask about the 5.7x28 civilian ammo as a defensive round and how the compares to a 9mm pistol. I was headed to the range a few days ago and thought to myself, why not fire a few rounds of both and record it with my camera. Well the results are interesting if you keep in mind that this was not done in a tightly structured, scientific manner but was an impromptu, 'spur of the moment' thing.
Also, I must apologize beforehand, as I was working alone and my camera work leaves a lot to be desired. I didn't always remember to point the thing where I was looking.

Here's what I had.

FN PS90 5.7x28mm _ FN ss195 , _ FN ss197
Ruger P89 9mm _ UMC 115gr FMJ _ Corbon 115gr +p JHP

Test medium:
1 Liter or 1 Gal Bottles of water.

Distance 10 yds

Barriers:
Brick
Cinder block
2-2x6's
3-2x6's

The vids are uploaded, enjoy.

0572a_9mm vs.5.7x28.
FN ss197
Corbon 115gr +p JHP
Bare 1gal containers
(Pics below)

0573_9mm vs.5.7x28.
close-up of results of 0572a_9mm vs.5.7x28.

0574_9mm vs.5.7x28.
Noteworthy result of 0572a_9mm vs.5.7x28.

0575_9mm vs.5.7x28.
FN ss197
Corbon 115gr +p JHP
Barrier: 2-2x6's
2nd 2x6 stopped the 9mm round, ss197 went thru.

0576a-1_9mm vs.5.7x28.
FN ss195
UMC 115gr FMJ
Barrier: 2-2x6's
Both went thru.

0577a_9mm vs.5.7x28.
FN ss197
Corbon 115gr +p JHP
Barrier: Cinderblock
Both broke and penetrated the barrier.

0579_9mm vs.5.7x28.
FN ss195
UMC 115gr FMJ
Barrier: Cinderblock
Both broke and penetrated the barrier.

0581_9mm vs.5.7x28.
FN ss195
UMC 115gr FMJ
Barrier: Brick
Both broke and shattered the barrier.

0582b_9mm vs.5.7x28.
FN ss195
UMC 115gr FMJ
Barrier: 3-2x6's
ss195 penetrated the barrier, 9mm stopped on 3rd 2x6.

05842nd_9mm vs.5.7x28.
2nd try.
FN ss195
UMC 115gr FMJ
Barrier: 3-2x6's
Again ss195 penetrated the barrier, 9mm stopped on 3rd 2x6.

Here's a couple of fotos.

Left ss197 _____________________________Right Corbon 115gr +p JHP

9mm JHP fragment captured by container.

It was not my intention to "prove" anything with this one way or the other, but only to conduct a little experiment
on a topic that I thought others would find interesting and worthy of discussion.

Ship, thanks for the sticky.

Mero :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
Very nice job. I'd have hoped the SS197 would have not penetrated both 2x6's as I have it loaded for HD. :-D

I love it though that people still consider the 5.7x28 a .22magnum. :?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I looked at your pics and read your text - but I finally had the time to actually watch your vids. VERY nice of you to take the time to do this - I made your post a sticky!

Also - the results were interesting... I think it is interesting enough to show that the 5.7 rounds are not the equal of a 22 mag like the 5.7 naysayers love say.

Thanks for taking the time to do that!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happy to share.

Thanks and you're welcome guys. I'm glad others find this useful.

I found the results of the penetration tests a little surprising. I did not expect the 9mm to be stopped so easily by the wood.

As for HD with the 5.7x28, though we still have to be concerned with missed shoots harming family and neighbors I like that it's not likely to over penetrate the perps, yet it has the ability if needed, to pass through some common building materials.

Mero

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Possibly - U did get a lot of deflection. If spaced out, I wander how many layers if would penetrate (multiple rooms)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great posts, now of course I want to see them with a Five-Seven Pistol!

FM

·
Banned
328 Posts
Also - the results were interesting... I think it is interesting enough to show that the 5.7 rounds are not the equal of a 22 mag like the 5.7 naysayers love say.

The "naysayers" are making the incorrect assumption that the .22 mag is a weak round. Probably the same people who believe that large bore handgun bullets pick bad guys up and hurl them across the room.

5.7x28 is fairly close to the .22mag - just a little hotter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Awsome post

I'm way to late but that was a great post. Good job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not to be the critic here but the results might be different had you used the 5.7 handgun verses the 9mm handgun instead of the 5.7 PS90 rifle verses the 9mm handgun. Also keep in mind that you used 9mm hollow points, so the fragments of the jacket are going to come off, however, the SS197 A-max will not leave jacket fragments. Still some good experimentation though. A buddy of mine said he shot a hog 3 times with the Five-Seven and it just started running off so he got his 9mm and killed it. He noticed that the 5.7 rounds had about 1 inch of HSS(Hydrostatic-shock) before they decreased in speed and passed through the other side. The 5.7x28 round is unique in the fact that even in the handgun, it has HSS. HSS is the ripple effect of the shockwave which radiates from the bullet as it penetrates through tissue, that is 70% water, which tears tissue apart. No other handgun caliber has HSS because the projectile needs to be traveling above 2000 fps. The only thing most handgun calibers have is PCC(Permanently Crushed Cavity). In which case the handgun projectile diameter is not much of a factor, however in a rifle or in the 5.7, the bigger the bullet, the more HSS is yielded. In theory, the 5.7x28 round would make up for its relatively light weight and diameter by inducing HSS....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Captiva said:
Captiva,

For those whom enjoy shooting 5.7 mm systems, more power to them.

However, within the LE\Mil world, its been known to be non-performing for our needs and its real world application. While various tests will illustrate the cartridge's ability to perform within the testing medium, there is no real world data supporting awesome ability as a man-slaying cartridge. There is information available, from those directly involved, regarding its performance in a different respect.

Periodically, it will pop up, and now and then a department will evaluate it for use; there are even some departments whom use or authorize their use. They are few and far between, for good reason.

The caliber is likely fun as hell to fire, or so I've heard; however, for the LE\Mil lifestyle, there is little\no room for such hopeful idealism that it will live up to its hype. Hence, we stick with the proven products.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
You guys might want to change the subject. That topic has been closed a couple of times now and you're trying for number three and a sticky thread to boot. :-x

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Who's going to win the super bowl?

Thread hijack...

:eek:

·
Administrator
11,175 Posts
Lets leave the Fort Hood diatribe alone for now and let their families grieve in peace.

Your point however was not misplaced.

A standard 5.7 round will pierce some levels of body armor. A standard 9mm will not.

Be that as it may, I still prefer to carry a 9mm rather than my FiveseveN. The FiveseveN is a firearm that I will keep handy when TSHTF but, for daily use the 9mm does just fine. I do not expect to need up to 60 rounds if I get in a firefight right now, the 46 will do just fine. Actually, that is probably 40 too many.

As a previous poster indicated, some jurisdictions allow their LEO's to carry the FiveseveN and some do not. Some jurisdictions allow officers to carry a wheel gun, others do not. And the list goes on and on and on and on.....like a merry go round. And much like the merry go round, their is no beginning or end to this subject.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts