CDS Custom Dial System
CDS Custom Dial System

Attachments

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
A comparison between Leupold’s Mark 6 and VX-6 line of optics

The Mark 6 line adjustment turrets utilize the Milliradian System of angular measurement. The mechanical functionality of the turret interface provides distinctly positive and audibly perceptible adjustment increments. The turret cylinders allow for a resettable zero, and have the numerical values etched into the side of the cylinders for easy observation. In addition, the (M5C2/M6C1) elevation turrets automatically lock on zero for both the Mark 6 (1-6x) and (3-18x) models. The M6C1 windage turret on the (1-6x) model also incorporates the zero lock function, while the (3-18x) model windage turret is instead capped to prevent unintentional movement.

The VX-6 line adjustment turrets are available in either Milliradian or Minute of Angle (MOA) systems of measurement. In contrast to the Mark 6 line of turrets, the VX-6 turret interfaces fall short; the distinction and audible perceptibility between adjustment increments are moderate in comparison to the Mark 6 line, but still function well. The VX-6 turrets also allow for a resettable zero, but the numerical values are instead etched into the top of the windage cylinders, making observation effortful. However, the VX-6 (3-18x) ZL-line of elevation turrets have the numeric values etched onto the cylinder side for efficient observation; contrarily, the VX-6 (1-6x) model elevation turret is top etched. Furthermore, the VX-6 model turrets are capped to prevent unintentional movement except for the elevation turret of the (3-18x) ZL model which employs a zero lock. The one redeeming feature of the VX-6 line of turrets is the ability to replace the cylinders with custom CDS dials made-to-order with the specific empirical data of a singular ammunition loading. These custom CDS dial have the numerical values etched into the cylinder sides like the Mark 6 line for easy observation. Leupold includes one free coupon for a custom CDS dial with the purchase of a new VX-6; extra dials run $55 each.

The Mark 6 line of optics utilize First Focal Plane reticles, incorporating advanced ranging increments, as well as, precise holdovers points that function at any magnification setting.

The VX-6 line of optics utilizes Second Focal Plane reticles geared toward particular categories of game and terrain. Ranging and holdovers options are specialized and only function at the highest magnification setting. The VX-6 lines of reticles are less versatile than the Mark 6 line.

The Mark 6 illumination system is daylight bright at the higher intensity settings, drawing the eye to the center of the reticle at the lower magnification settings; as well as, providing necessary contrast at reduced intensity settings during lowlight operation. Oddly, the Mark 6 (1-6x) models illumination system flickers with head movement, while the Mark 6 (3-18x) models do not. The intensity dial incorporates off settings in-between brightness levels and is more effectively operated then the VX-6 push button Firedot system, but lacks the VX-6’s motion sensor technology and extended battery life features.

The VX-6 illumination system is also daylight bright at the higher intensity settings, drawing they eye to the center dot, and facilitating the tracking of moving game while providing a visible point of aim in low light conditions. The Firedot system incorporates motion sensor technology, entering a stand-by mode after 5 minutes of inactivity. This shuts off the illumination until reactivated by movement. Unlike the efficient Mark 6 illumination dial control, the push bottom Firedot switch requires the user to repeatedly depress the illumination bottom to scroll through intensity levels. When the VX-6 reaches the maximum or minimum brightness setting, it will flash 5 times and reverse the direction of operation. The direction of intensity may also be alternated with a short held depression of the button, but if held to long, the illumination shuts off completely and must be reactivated with another long depression. The Firedot illumination system will always retain its last intensity setting when switched on or when exiting stand-by mode.

In conclusion, I am extremely satisfied with both the Mark 6 and VX-6 line of optics. The Mark 6 line may be twice the price, but the VX-6 line is definitely not half the product. The optical quality and glass clarity between both the Mark 6’s and VX-6’s lines are astonishing and indistinguishable to my eyes. My attempt to photograph these images with meager photography skills and an outdated digital camera does not reflect the actual image quality when viewing through these scopes with the naked eye. Leupold’s Lifetime Warranty, and 100 + years of American Exceptionalism are reflected in their products.

Distance to power pole is 280 yards

Attachments

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm making one more attempt to take some clearer photos through the reticles. Here's a few pics of the FireDot SPR and TMR-D set to 1x & 6x power. If I have time this weekend, I'll try my luck again with the 3-18x optics.

Distance to chimney is 100 yards

Attachments

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
If they had the TMR reticle in the VX-6, I'd like it a lot more. Just not a huge fan of the reticles on your two VX-6 samples.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I highlighted the point I wish to explain in red. The reason you see a, as you call it, a "flicker" in the 1-6 and not the 3-18 is because the 3-18 has a side focus that eliminates parallax to the reticle and image allowing for a much more accurate shot. Since the 1-6 does not have a side focus to eliminate parallax at different distances other than 150yrd setting, the engineers made it so you can tell when you are in the center of the image thus eliminating parallax by when you see the illumination at full intensity and not half illuminated or flickering out. This all helps in making a much more accurate shot. So you see, the "flickering" is not a design boo boo, it's a help to the shooter for accurate shot placement. (It really shows how you truly are moving your head on the comb of the stock even when you think you aren't.

As always - shoot safe and stay blessed!

A comparison between Leupold’s Mark 6 and VX-6 line of optics

"..........The Mark 6 illumination system is daylight bright at the higher intensity settings, drawing the eye to the center of the reticle at the lower magnification settings; as well as, providing necessary contrast at reduced intensity settings during lowlight operation. Oddly, the Mark 6 (1-6x) models illumination system flickers with head movement, while the Mark 6 (3-18x) models do not. The intensity dial incorporates off settings in-between brightness levels and is more effectively operated then the VX-6 push button Firedot system, but lacks the VX-6’s motion sensor technology and extended battery life features. .........."

Distance to power pole is 280 yards
[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Impressive tutelage ! I did not know these facts and have yet to get my head around all of it.
I'm very PRO Luepold here.... and their customer service is perhaps one of the best in the world !

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Lefty thanks for this, I believe you've mentioned this a couple of times to folks that complain about the MK6 1-6. I took note of this some time ago when you mentioned that and found it to be true. Thanks for that head's up, seems like this is a common misconception.

00 Thanks for gathering the information and posting in one place! :welldoneif4:

I highlighted the point I wish to explain in red. The reason you see a, as you call it, a "flicker" in the 1-6 and not the 3-18 is because the 3-18 has a side focus that eliminates parallax to the reticle and image allowing for a much more accurate shot. Since the 1-6 does not have a side focus to eliminate parallax at different distances other than 150yrd setting, the engineers made it so you can tell when you are in the center of the image thus eliminating parallax by when you see the illumination at full intensity and not half illuminated or flickering out. This all helps in making a much more accurate shot. So you see, the "flickering" is not a design boo boo, it's a help to the shooter for accurate shot placement. (It really shows how you truly are moving your head on the comb of the stock even when you think you aren't.

As always - shoot safe and stay blessed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts