FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I had to go shoot my semi annual armed guard qualification, so I went to one of the local indoor ranges here with my FNS-9.

The qualification table is:

6 shots from 15 yards, reload, fire 6 more (within 30 seconds).
6 shots from 10 yards, reload, fire 6 more (within 30 seconds).
6 shots from 5 yards, reload, fire 6 more (within 30 seconds).

36 shots worth 10 points each. 360 points total. (270 is required to pass).
The whole qualification thing isn't rocket science, but you'd be amazed at the number of guys that have to re-shoot due to a below-minimum score.

The instructor had me prep two magazines and load the first mag when I was ready.
I got into my bladed stance and he said "you're not going to square up to the target?"
I said "No, I shoot Weaver".
He said "Hmph...ok, it's up to you".

I fired my 6, reloaded, and fired 6 more.
He said "You'd probably do a little better if you shot thumbs forward, I can only see a few holes from here".
He brought the target in and there were 4 three hole clusters in the 10 ring.
He didn't say anything and moved the target to the 10 yard line.
I fired 12 more shots and dropped everything into the 10 ring.
He still didn't say anything and moved the target to the 5 yard line.
I fired 11 shots and he said STOP!!!
I looked at him and he said "hold on a second" and brought the target all the way in.
He drew a 1" circle off the target, but still on the paper and moved the target back out to the 5 yard line.
Then he said "never, ever shoot a perfect score because if it ever came to a deadly force incident and you go to court, the prosecutor will use your perfect score against you as in "if you're good enough to shoot a perfect score, you're good enough to shoot-to-wound".
Okay.
He then says "take your last shot at the circle", so I did and nailed it just off center.
As he brought the target in, he asked where I learned to shoot and I told him I was an instructor.

He said "Very nice...don't listen to me or anyone else about thumbs forward. Anyone that tries to change you is a dumbass".

In the end, I ended up with 350/360.

The State is in the process of changing the COF for the qualification.
One change will be having to come out of the holster.
THAT alone will be enough to make some guys fail.
Another change will require shooting one-handed from both the firing hand and support side.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Excellent marksmanship skills! :?

Remind me NOT to create a shooting incident when your "on-guard"..... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love my FNS-9 and I know it makes me a better shooter than I am.
As a defensive handgun instructor, we teach modified Weaver, so I practice what we preach.
I understand the concept behind "crush grip, thumbs forward" and I've tried it on multiple occasions, but it just doesn't feel right to me.
You've got to use what works for you.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sounds like some excellent shooting. I too was doing some drilling with my FNS-9 and P30 yesterday. For the quick shooting I love my FNS more than anything.

Reactions: Blackhorse2010
1 - 6 of 6 Posts