FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys! It's been a few months since I stopped in to see how you are all doing. Some interesting long guns have made their way into the family since then:

/image.com/view/

/image.com/view/

I just joined a gun club, so I hope to be able to shoot some of my long guns more. Shooting handguns indoors is getting booooooooring.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I shot it for the first time yesterday. It had some problems. First off, I forgot my ammo at home, and all they had at the range was Fiocchi and Magtech in .45. The manual lists Magtech as "incompatible ammunition," so I went with Fiocchi. I guess Fiocchi should be on that list as well, since, out of 50 rounds, I had four failures due to light strikes, and two failures to feed. Not very impressive.

TDI (the manufacturer) has a list of incompatible ammo and a list of compatible ammo. Fortunately, the "compatible" list has the basics, such as Winchester White Box, American Eagle, and Olin-branded MilSpec, as well as a few others. I'm going to try some of those possibly tomorrow and see how they work.

I should mention that all failures were in the first 25 rounds, and that the second set of 25 fired perfectly. Maybe it had to fire a few times to break-in? I don't know, but it wasn't a very scientific test, so it's a moot point until I run several boxes of the "compatible" ammo through it.

I really like the way it feels. If anyone is interested, I'll post some pics of the internals and a description of how it works, but suffice it to say that the "slider" (the part that recoils downward) has a buffer on the bottom of it that impacts part of the receiver, and this gives the rifle a "buffered" sort of feeling that I liked. It takes a lot of the harshness of a short-stroke weapon away. Anyone ever fired, say, a Ruger PC4? Great rifle, but the short stroke combined with hot load makes the recoil snappy (not heavy, just sharp). A lot of .380s feel that way to me, too, again because their stroke is so short. I was expecting something similar here, but the buffer solves that issue.

Then you have the slider itself (as well as the bolt, which turns down into the receiver and follows the slider down), which really does seem to reduce muzzle climb. I haven't decided how well it works yet because I don't have enough rounds through it, and, I have to convince myself that I'm not engaging in "wishful thinking." It seems to work, but I will reserve final judgment on that.

Accessories fit really well (I got the light kit), the trigger is okay (nothing fancy), and the stock is adjustable for length-of-pull. It's kind of heavy, super ugly, and I suspect not very "handy" to move around with in, say, a house or something. Then again, the full-auto version has the proper-length barrel, so that wouldn't be such an issue for people who do that sort of thing for a living.

Again, I only shot 50 rounds, but at 25 yards shooting offhand, rapid fire, it put everything into the circles that are on the target I was using, which I'd estimate is four inches in diameter. I didn't have the EoTech sighted-in, so I just looked through it and used the iron sights for that.

I'll come back and say some more about it after I shoot it again if people seem interested.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Those are some purty guns you got there! NICE :?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts