FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
That's some good perspective. I always carry my FNP-9 while out grouse hunting and usually have FMJ's in it. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with grizzlies. I have never seen a black bear out in the woods while hunting, but I have seen some pretty big tracks that were fresh.

I might have to find some FMJ-FN bullets and load them up for this fall.

Reactions: Ironminer

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I don't ever care to either, but I know there are a lot of them in the areas I hunt and they keep coming further and further south (a neighbor a mile away, that I walk by often, took a picture of one raiding their bird feeder).

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
This is why I carry the 308 battle rifle. Now 308 certainly isn't considered a bear cartridge, but it's better than .556. I fear the people in the middle of nowhere as much as bears. I figure a 308 battle rifle is a good choice to cover both bases. Most everyone into the forums is all about combat weapons. I'm more into back country protection. I've never run into a bear, mountain lion is the biggest predator I've seen. I also consider wild boar a threat. Bear, I personally believe you can almost count on encounters if you spend enough time in back woods. Let me tell you, alone, at night, deep in the woods, the only one that can help you is yourself. I liked the bear post, good read !

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
If your hunting birds use your shoty... Very, very unlikely to have a bear bother you in the fall; however, one never knows. Close range even with bird shot a shotgun is impressive. I have killed more bears than most folks will see in a life time... Close range/defensive shooting on a bear attacking me; if I'm toting a 12 ga. my handgun will never be pulled... If he ain't that close it isn't a charge. If all you have is your FNP-9 FMJ's will suffice; but as the article says if it is not a brain shot he will have 15 to 30 seconds to ruin your world a bear can cause a lot of damage in that amount of time. Anchor him in the head.

That's some good perspective. I always carry my FNP-9 while out grouse hunting and usually have FMJ's in it. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with grizzlies. I have never seen a black bear out in the woods while hunting, but I have seen some pretty big tracks that were fresh.

I might have to find some FMJ-FN bullets and load them up for this fall.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
This is why I carry the 308 battle rifle. Now 308 certainly isn't considered a bear cartridge, but it's better than .556. I fear the people in the middle of nowhere as much as bears. I figure a 308 battle rifle is a good choice to cover both bases. Most everyone into the forums is all about combat weapons. I'm more into back country protection. I've never run into a bear, mountain lion is the biggest predator I've seen. I also consider wild boar a threat. Bear, I personally believe you can almost count on encounters if you spend enough time in back woods. Let me tell you, alone, at night, deep in the woods, the only one that can help you is yourself. I liked the bear post, good read !
My oldest son (at 14) shot a nice bear with a .308 win. One shot; 150 gn spbt in the boiler room. He ran off 50 yrds or so and dropped. Tracked it up; tagged it and then came cross country apx. 2 miles to da shack to get me to help gather him up. I was proud. .308 win. is good Black Bear medicine...Shot placement is always key.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
The shotgun would be the first shots (#8's) and if the bear didn't turn, then the pistol would come out. So far, only used it to eliminate some porcupines. I've only seen bear tracks out hunting, no bear, but I'm honestly more worried about cougar's more than bear (a few sightings of them where I hunt)

Reactions: Ironminer

·
Registered
505 Posts
When I was up in Alaska/Canada (2012) leading two different expeditions I ran across two big Grizzleys. Both were BIG as it was just about time for them to hibernate. I had been telling the Scientists with me that they needed to push for us to carry firearms. This experience and a few videos I sent them quickly changed the NO GUN policy. Stupid people quickly change there minds when they realize they are no longer on top of the food chain and are exposed to being eaten alive. Of course the Powers that be in DC who have never even seen a Bear still pushed the NO GUN POLICY. Stupid people. Im not sure where they are today on the No Gun Policy but I no longer work with them. Political Correctness has no place in real life or death matters.

Reactions: djv38 and Big Muddy
1 - 9 of 9 Posts