FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished a sub zero test on my optics! 8 hr in negative temps. It was my yearly battery swap so I thought what the hell. So I turned both my DR & my T-1 to max and set them out in the snow & ice. After 8hrs both the Elcan and the Aimpoint were still working. The Elcan was dim but still visible, the 1-4 worked fine. The T-1 was still blazing away with no noticeable change. Both QD (arms bobro) still worked fine. The intensity selectors where both noticeably tighter. All in all I think both did well! :?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I don't have the guts to put my optics out in this weather. Thanks for doing so!
Why? - I have firearms/optics so I can use them. I definitely take care of them, but in the end I'm not afraid to get them dirty, cold, wet, etc if that's whats required. I see them for what they are, tools that get used for putting meat on the table, defending home and family, etc. I'd rather have the piece of mind that they will work when I need them as the weather wont always be sunny and clear, with no wind when you need them the most. To each his own I suppose.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is really good to know on the Elcan.
To be fair I had left the elcan on for at least a day or two (same bat) on one of the lower settings by accident before. It did much better than I thought it would. The T-1 eh that's what I expected of it based on other APs Ive had. I have now used both in 100° temps and subzero temps so I feel pretty confident in both optics. I also check to see if the cold shifted the POA (switch arm and QD mounts) both seemed to hold the cowitness zero.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Just finished a sub zero test on my optics! 8 hr in negative temps. It was my yearly battery swap so I thought what the hell. So I turned both my DR & my T-1 to max and set them out in the snow & ice. After 8hrs both the Elcan and the Aimpoint were still working. The Elcan was dim but still visible, the 1-4 worked fine. The T-1 was still blazing away with no noticeable change. Both QD (arms bobro) still worked fine. The intensity selectors where both noticeably tighter. All in all I think both did well! :?
Thanks to Mother Nature that you were able to test your optics in extremely cold environs. Great post!

·
Registered
602 Posts
What temperatures were you in? Great to know, I'll add what I did over the cold weather week..

My testing = -33 degrees

Threw my 17s with my ACOG slapped on it in my car and left it there for about 12 hours. I preceded to hit the range (also with my new arsenal sam7sf, Springfield xdm 9mm) and everything worked flawlessly. Other than turning into moisture sticks when brought back into a 70 degree house, all was well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts