FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone provide any possible explanation of why F.N. or Ring Sight refused to address the sight issues.

It seem impossible to me that they are not aware of the issues. Whenever a poll is used on any forum, poor sight quality is at the top of the list for quality issues.

ANYONE who can improve this situation would likely be rewarded with wealth.

In closing my rant. Ring Sight designs and makes them, you would thing that a redesign or modification is within their powers.

It seems to me that it can not be significantly less expensive to build a less satisfactory reticule than a proper one. Consider that the replacement USSS sight as a replacement is a whopping $700.00.

$700.00 for the replacement of a substandard reticule PLEEEEESE, lets get real.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
We all know what he means. They never should have released the white ring sight - instead, they should have used the black one.

·
Vendor
5,649 Posts
banger, use the search button for reticle our reticule enhancement or illuminator and you will see people working on this problem. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
M1P90

I am aware of the efforts of others.

Someone, anyone, Please bring it to market, I will buy!!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is my major complaint with the system. For what I paid, I should have gotten a quality optic. FN should man up and issue either a recall or at the very least a discount on the new optic. It really sucks that the initial run of PS90 were in high demand and they sold them with inferior optics.

I certainly understand they are in business to make a profit, but they need to do the right thing. A new black outline sight sells for 4-500 dollars. For that kind of money I can mount an EO-Tech or Aimpoint. It's not that much more of a stretch to get an ACOG.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I dont know guys. Its an expensive rifle sure. But IMO its cooler than most everything else on the market. Still the FS2000 is hundreds more with NO optic. Expecting an optic included on a high end rifle is a little silly. It should be an option if anything and it currently is. Get the tri rail version and spend the remaining cash on an optic. This platform isnt a cheap one and anyone that gets into it should know that. IMO you need to budget another 500 to make it a SBR anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
bonebreak2000 said:
I dont know guys. Its an expensive rifle sure. But IMO its cooler than most everything else on the market. Still the FS2000 is hundreds more with NO optic. Expecting an optic included on a high end rifle is a little silly. It should be an option if anything and it currently is. Get the tri rail version and spend the remaining cash on an optic. This platform isnt a cheap one and anyone that gets into it should know that. IMO you need to budget another 500 to make it a SBR anyway.
Agreed, all said and done, PS90, SBR, compact ACOG, Gemtech G5, extra mags, Stormcase - it cost as much as my Ruger AC556K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1st post, and I don't want to make any enemies, BUT, did anyone NOT check out the rifle before purchase and ask questions. It took me 1 1/2 months to make up my mind, and after shooting the store owners gun 4-5 times, I finally bought it. He explained it 100% and I'm 1000% pleased with it, and just bought me a 5/7 last friday and man is it fun to shoot. Ran 60 rounds off the back deck on Sunday after the grandkids went home. And from Dora Al. we say HOWDY, hows ya'll. I purchased the tri-rail model ps90.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
No, I actually shot 2 different ones before I bought mine. But, I had read the complaints about the sight before I shot the first 1 - and, I agreed it wasn't that great when I shot the 1st PS90 on a dark day. The 2nd one was on a sunny day, so it wasn't as bad. But, I already knew I would be replacing the sight with an eotech.

But, it would have been nice to NOT have to spend about $100 on an optic rail and then $300 on an Eotech.

·
Registered
3 Posts
But purchasing "goodies" for the toys is part of the fun of it. So I started with a cheap red dot, just to see. I had never used one, but once sighted in, it's pretty cool. So now it's time to plop down some serious cash and get the real thing along with the high powered green laser.

Hey Nutfinn, if you ever get over to the FOP range in Pleasant Grove, I'm usually there on Friday afternoons, early Saturday morning and after church on Sundays, just look for a 05 black dodge dually with company logo on back windows, always down on the members rifle range playing with the toys. Headed there after lunch today with the ps90 and 5/7.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
1 caveat on the HI POWER green laser.

I bought one - way too high power. It is useless indoors. It is TOO bright. The one I had hurt my eyes just to look at the green dot on the wall unless it was at least 25 feet out. They also light up a completely dark room like a flashlight - and, U can see the actual beam at night. So, it can be traced back to you by an attacker. And, U won't surprise anyone at night if the entire room lights up.

I suspect that mine was more powerful than advertised. After messing with it a while - and reading on the net - I did not think it was safe for what I wanted it for.

Now, it was cool - in the bright sunlight - it was good to at least 100 yards. And at night, I tried it at approx 800 yards and saw it fine. Supposedly, they are good past 1000 yards at night.

Anyway - IF you only want it for outdoor range use - go ahead. A 100 yard laser would be awesome at the range. But then put a red one on the other side for close stuff and for indoor use. I wanted a light on the other side, so I sold my green laser and just got a red one. I basically just wanted a laser to supplement my eotech - for household distances. The green laser isn't suited for that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
MrPink said:
bonebreak2000 said:
Agreed, all said and done, PS90, SBR, compact ACOG, Gemtech G5, extra mags, Stormcase - it cost as much as my Ruger AC556K.
You know its fecked up when your accessories cost more than the damn gun
:-D

·
Registered
27 Posts
termite said:
...did anyone NOT check out the rifle before purchase and ask questions.
Yes indeed, but I could not shoot it, and the factory sights looked pretty good in the store. Until you shoot it, you can't tell that it is very sensitive to various situations and lighting, and it is rather difficult to quickly pick up the sight picture.

But I still wasn't terribly unhappy with the Ring Sight until I got a FS2000 with an EOTech. That was my first real optical sight, and it demonstrated how poor the Ring Sight was.

Now, I am putting an EOTech on the PS90, but don't feel too bad because it is not the first gun I have chosen to change the sights on. Even if I had known about the TR model and EOTech option when I bought the PS90, I'm not sure I would have sprung for the extra $$$. It's one those things that until you know, you just don't know.

My guess is that FNH will soon discontinue the Ring Sight model and only offer the TR--they can make few more bucks on each gun and eliminate a negative.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
121 Posts
AverageJoe said:
Even if I had known about the TR model and EOTech option when I bought the PS90, I'm not sure I would have sprung for the extra $$$. It's one those things that until you know, you just don't know.
I have to agree with you here. I often learn the hard way as well. Sometimes you have to jump into something to realize you wanted something else.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wouldn't be to quick to plop down any money for the new black ring sight as I have been told(don't know if it is true or not) that the new sight has no tridium in it and therefore it has no night sights. Six hundred dollars for a non sighting in the dark fix? Screw it, I'll stick with my OEtech.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It does have tritium and collectors just as the ring sight does. THe only thing different about the 2 sights is one has standard black reticles and the other is a light white one in the day time. Other than that they are the same sight.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
bonebreak2000 said:
It does have tritium and collectors just as the ring sight does. THe only thing different about the 2 sights is one has standard black reticles and the other is a light white one in the day time. Other than that they are the same sight.
Actually they are more different than just the reticles.
The Black reticle version has a metal housing(oppose to the plastic housing of the White), lower profile, and improved light collectors. The tritium bars light up 2-3X brighter than the standard White reticle sight in darkness.

White Reticle on LEFT and Black reticle on RIGHT.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts