FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is SS190 legal to own/use?

I know that it's sale is restricted by FN to LE/mil but I cannot find a single bit of information that clearly states (or even indicates) that there is a BATF reg/rule limiting it's use. I ask because I keep running across posts claiming that it is illegal to own as it has been ruled AP/non-sporting by BATF, yet the wording of that reg indicates it is not illegal. The SS190 has a two part core of steel & aluminum and the reg seems to only address single metal cores as being AP/non-sporting.

Given that 90% of what I read of 5.7x28 appears to be bull squat I'm sure I know the answer already, and my highly funded, sophisticated and high tech research (google :wink: ) seems to support this. BUT I would like to know if I'm missing something.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
BATFE states that calibers over .22 are AP along with several other things.
SS190 does not fit that definition of AP.
The reason you can not find a BATFE rule/reg because there is none.
Some states can outlaw it with their own gun laws but the BATFE does not.
Check your local laws to see if you can have/use it.
With that said, no federal law prohitits it.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
What tqtran said is the real deal. There is not a federal law that prohits it, some states do have additional restriction. However, FN won't sell it to law abiding americans. Which sucks, because there is no reason for it. As I've said before, they make pistols that fire 5.56 ammo and you can buy SS109 5.56mm ammo all day (like lake city ammo and others).

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think they don't sell it to civilians to mitigate the potential frivolous lawsuit after some retard shoots a cop with one of the AP-ish stuff. The Brady campaign would eat that up, and would make one hell of a case that the whole weapons system needs to be banned. There'd go your PS90's and your fiVeseVens.

Zhur

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay this is where I'm confused, Title 18, 921, section 17 states:

(A) The term “ammunition” means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellent powder designed for use in any firearm.

(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

(C) The term “armor piercing ammunition” does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Attorney General finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Attorney General finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't SS190 contains a steel core and thus fall under the above section in orange?
I have an opportunity to pick up a case of SS190 for the cost of SS197 and would jump on it if I could find something that confirms I can legally own it.

·
Administrator
11,395 Posts
Farmer Ted said:
Okay this is where I'm confused, Title 18, 921, section 17 states:

(A) The term “ammunition” means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellent powder designed for use in any firearm.

(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

(C) The term “armor piercing ammunition” does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Attorney General finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Attorney General finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't SS190 contains a steel core and thus fall under the above section in orange?
I have an opportunity to pick up a case of SS190 for the cost of SS197 and would jump on it if I could find something that confirms I can legally own it.
If you put it into the FiveseveN, then it is AP ammo because of it being loaded into a handgun.

Federal guidelines limit its use in HANDGUNS only.

Much like the Barnes Spitzer that is made entirely of an ALLOY, it is also considered AP by the Feds if it is in the HANDGUN, however you may posess and have it loaded into the PS90 or PS90SBR.

If you have a PS90 and you State law allows the posession of this type of ammo, you are OK.

You biggest problem is the reading of the State statutes.

Zhur is right. FNH limits sales to civilians to avoid the VPC and other anti gunners.

·
Registered
22 Posts
HK SD9 Tactical said:
Much like the Barnes Spitzer that is made entirely of an ALLOY, it is also considered AP by the Feds if it is in the HANDGUN, however you may posess and have it loaded into the PS90 or PS90SBR.

If you have a PS90 and you State law allows the posession of this type of ammo, you are OK.
Sorry it is perfectly legal to have the Barnes solid in anything. The ATF has ruled it is not AP in nature, has not violated the spirit of the law (68 GCA)and has not limited it in any way. Elite Ammunition sells a load using this bullet.

They of their own choice limit it's sales to LEO and properly accredited citizens. This is not done with the ATF in mind but to reduce the likely hood that it falls into the hands of BG's.

SS109 projectiles loaded into a pistol DO fall under that ATF ruling though.

·
Administrator
11,395 Posts
pinkpistolpacker said:
HK SD9 Tactical said:

Sorry it is perfectly legal to have the Barnes solid in anything. The ATF has ruled it is not AP in nature, has not violated the spirit of the law (68 GCA)and has not limited it in any way. Elite Ammunition sells a load using this bullet.

They of their own choice limit it's sales to LEO and properly accredited citizens. This is not done with the ATF in mind but to reduce the likely hood that it falls into the hands of BG's.

SS109 projectiles loaded into a pistol DO fall under that ATF ruling though.
Per a conversation with a Special Agent in the Tampa Florida ATF office that specialized in this field, the 45g Barnes Solid is considered AP if loaded into the FiveseveN handgun, but not the PS90 or PS90SBR.

I'll take the ATF word over Elite any day of the week.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
good times good times lol :?

·
Registered
22 Posts
As per the ATF department in OK, Regulatory Enforcement Operations division the one who decides this. They have ruled it is NOT AP in nature.

Elite provided a copy of the ruling for my dept. head.

This call is not made from a field agent, it comes from the lab boys and the legal department.

You opinion of EA was good enough to rip off some thier load data and claim it as your one, so I don't know why you are discounting them currently.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
pinkpistolpacker said:
You opinion of EA was good enough to rip off some thier load data and claim it as your one, so I don't know why you are discounting them currently.
I don't want to have that discussion on this board.

·
Administrator
11,395 Posts
pinkpistolpacker said:
As per the ATF department in OK, Regulatory Enforcement Operations division the one who decides this. They have ruled it is NOT AP in nature.

Elite provided a copy of the ruling for my dept. head.

This call is not made from a field agent, it comes from the lab boys and the legal department.

Great to know. Can you put a copy of it on the forum???

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Zhurdan said:
I think they don't sell it to civilians to mitigate the potential frivolous lawsuit after some retard shoots a cop with one of the AP-ish stuff. The Brady campaign would eat that up, and would make one hell of a case that the whole weapons system needs to be banned. There'd go your PS90's and your fiVeseVens.

Zhur
exactly +1 well stated you get a karma point :?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts