Judge dismisses St. Clair County lawsuit against Caseyville Gun Club
BY MIKE FITZGERALD - News-Democrat
BELLEVILLE -- A St. Clair County judge has dismissed a county lawsuit seeking to shutdown the Caseyville Rifle and Pistol Club because it allegedly endangers aircraft flying in and out of neighboring Scott Air Force Base.
Associate Judge Andrew Gleeson dismissed both counts of the lawsuit after a hearing Tuesday. Gleeson's decision turns the latest page on the county's nearly four-year battle to shut down the gun club and seize the 32-acre site.
County Board Chairman Mark Kern said the judge gave the county 14 days to amend and resubmit pleadings under the lawsuit's first count "reflecting the resolution we passed at the County Board" last year.
That two-pronged measure passed by the County Board called for it to shut down and seize the shooting range.
Harry Sterling, the gun club attorney, declined to comment on the judge's decision or county plans to pursue its closure of the gun club.
"That's certainly up to the county," Sterling said. "It's been going on for a long, long time."
Randy Seper, the gun club president, called Gleeson's ruling the right decision, adding, "We just really wish the county would take this as a sign and not bother to file again."
Seper pointed out the shooting range has operated without a mishap since February 2007, when it opened up after moving from its old site in Caseyville to make way for a $400 million housing development.
"There has not been one complaint lodged against this club, not one, at all," Seper said.
Contact reporter Mike Fitzgerald at [email protected] or 239-2533.
:shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :?
BY MIKE FITZGERALD - News-Democrat
BELLEVILLE -- A St. Clair County judge has dismissed a county lawsuit seeking to shutdown the Caseyville Rifle and Pistol Club because it allegedly endangers aircraft flying in and out of neighboring Scott Air Force Base.
Associate Judge Andrew Gleeson dismissed both counts of the lawsuit after a hearing Tuesday. Gleeson's decision turns the latest page on the county's nearly four-year battle to shut down the gun club and seize the 32-acre site.
County Board Chairman Mark Kern said the judge gave the county 14 days to amend and resubmit pleadings under the lawsuit's first count "reflecting the resolution we passed at the County Board" last year.
That two-pronged measure passed by the County Board called for it to shut down and seize the shooting range.
Harry Sterling, the gun club attorney, declined to comment on the judge's decision or county plans to pursue its closure of the gun club.
"That's certainly up to the county," Sterling said. "It's been going on for a long, long time."
Randy Seper, the gun club president, called Gleeson's ruling the right decision, adding, "We just really wish the county would take this as a sign and not bother to file again."
Seper pointed out the shooting range has operated without a mishap since February 2007, when it opened up after moving from its old site in Caseyville to make way for a $400 million housing development.
"There has not been one complaint lodged against this club, not one, at all," Seper said.
Contact reporter Mike Fitzgerald at [email protected] or 239-2533.
:shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :?