FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A Year Ago Today: 'Don't Tase Me, Bro'
UF Student Uttered Those Words After Being Hit With Taser

It was a year ago today that the words “Don’t Tase me, bro” became the fodder for jokes, T-shirts and even debates about the use of force and free speech.

It started during an appearance by former president candidate John Kerry at the University of Florida in Gainesville. A student, later identified as Andrew Meyer, disrupted the speech. As university police removed him from the hall, he was hit with a Taser stun gun.

The whole thing – including his cry of “Don’t Tase me, bro” – was captured on video and became a YouTube hit that was shown repeatedly on newscasts.

Meyer, a UF student at the time, was arrested but avoided prosecution through an agreement with prosecutors that involves probation and community service.

According to The Chalkboard blog on Gainesville.com, Meyer declined to discuss the anniversary. Meyer’s attorney, however, is quoted as saying Meyer graduated from UF and is looking for work.

The incident led the University of Florida to revise its police policy on using Tasers against someone who is passively resisting arrest. A UF committee also has used the incident during its discussions about free speech on campus.

http://www.wesh.com/news/17495324/detail.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts