FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a 'gunsmith' at one of my local shops torque a 5/8x24 aac blackout mount on my rifle today. As you can see it looks like he bent the back end of the mount probably not using the correct tools. He knew he bent it but said it would be fine. My thoughts are this. I don't have a lot of time to remove, replace, re install. Will shooting this mount with my SDN6 be of any issue to the actual lockup of the can, or is the bend severe enough that it would tweak the rest of the mount. Any possible damage to barrel?Thanks ahead
20140315_150011.jpg
other side
20140315_150042.jpg

·
Registered
431 Posts
would you buy a brand new car at asking price from a dealership and find a dent in the finder and the service people just stated i wouldn't bother it will be fine. would it be fine if you didn't pay him?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trust me I told him what a **** poor install they did. But they said they wont replace and reinstall. I dont really know who to talk to since the owner didnt give a **** either

·
Registered
412 Posts
You sound like a nice guy. Really. But I'm kinda hoping your just slowly working your self up to berzerker mode.... Oh hell no! In a 16 yr old teenage girl voice!

·
Registered
180 Posts
that's unfortunate that he won't own up to his mistake - i have a few of the black/brake outs on my 5.56 too, maybe call AAC to see?

my other concern is if he used shims or a crush washer on it, or have it sit on the crown.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It looks like that because there is a specific installation tool for the Blackouts/Brakeouts. AAC makes it and it goes inside the flash hider tines. I don't think AAC recommends those models be installed with a wrench for that reason.. I hope you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Please tell me didn't pay for this. I would go back and have him get me a new one, take it to a "GUNSMITH" and have him reinstall it and give the junk one back to the hack that did it. Who am I kidding, I'd be retaining a attorney cuz I kicked his a$$ ! :-x I really feel bad for you, hope you get restitution.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I would draft a letter of intent, have it notarized, and mail it certified return receipt requested to the owner of the gun shop that notifies him of the potential safety hazard of the faulty installation, and that failure to replace the damaged flash hider creates gross negligence and clear liability in the event of injury or death upon its recommend use . I would request a full refund for the price of the flash hider and installation fees. Your only other course of legal action is to file a complaint in small claims court. I would also file a complaint with the BBB.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
As lousy as that install is, it won't have any effect on the lock up of your can to mount. The reality is that the thin wall of the shrouded area of the AAC mounts with the wrench flats is a design flaw; they are not designed for high torque with a wrench. As cartel41 mentioned, AAC makes an install tool that applies torque to the front of the Flash Hider/Brakeout mounts for just that reason. As long as the mount was torqued enough and the included Rocksett was used at the time of install, you won't have any problems. I'd still be pissed though ... you shouldn't be paying someone to screw up your parts!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the suggestions. At this point my time is worth way more than a 100$ mount. I screwed up by calling the shop which had worked on a prev hipower for me at great success and they said to bring in the mount and they would install it for me for free. I believe in karma and I will put in a bad note for them around the town as word of mouth. with that said do you think the mount is safe to use while I am getting a replacement ?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would draft a letter of intent, have it notarized, and mail it certified return receipt requested to the owner of the gun shop that notifies him of the potential safety hazard of the faulty installation, and that failure to replace the damaged flash hider creates gross negligence and clear liability in the event of injury or death upon its recommend use . I would request a full refund for the price of the flash hider and installation fees. Your only other course of legal action is to file a complaint in small claims court. I would also file a complaint with the BBB.
Yeah! What he said! (Wish I had more then a high school ed. Gotta stop reading zombie novels, and bust out some classics. Lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
with that said do you think the mount is safe to use while I am getting a replacement ?

Hard to say. Did he use washers? If so no. Did he torque it right? Probably not. Did they use rockset? Did he do a professional job? Hell no.

I would send them a letter disputing the bill and asking him to respond to the fact that while they were in care and control of your property they damaged it. You should be compensated for your damaged property. Period. You paid a professional to do a decent job, not mangle you rifle. The only way that could have been damaged that way was by using the wrong tool. Pliers? Looks like it was crushed. Unacceptable.

Customer service obviously sucks. If they had any class they wouldn't ask you to pay for it. Take your dollars elsewhere. You might want to stop by his shop when it looks really busy and have a public conversation about this issue as polite and businesslike as possible, don't back down an inch though.

I had a similar thing happen to me, guys mounting my scope beat the crap out of the mount. they blew it off. I never went back. Like cars you need to find the right guy to work on them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, it's perfectly safe to shoot based on the damage to the wrench flats alone. So unless there's something else screwed up with the mount, other than cosmetic issues, it's good to go. It will lock up the can, and work exactly as design intended.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts