FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to make a decision on a couple of .30 cans and I'm missing information on the thread title suppressors.

I've looked all over youtube and have found comparison videos of the Saker vs SDN-6, but I haven't found any comparisons between the SR-7 and SDN-6 or Saker and SR7.

This will be my first long gun can purchase, and I'm thinking of getting 2. Applications will be on a SCAR 17 and 16 inch ARs in 5.56 and 6.8SPC. My desires in order of priority:

1. Quick detach
2. Reliable function (DI 5.56, piston 6.8 and SCAR17s)
3. Repeatable POI shift
4. Good sound reduction (ear safe)
and the lowest but still important priorities off the SCAR skinny barrel
5. Light weight and compact size
6. Muzzle devices that work without the can attached (compensator for SCAR, flashhider for AR)

Saker seems to have an advantage with their multiple mounting systems and in quietness with a 5.56 endcap on the AR. AAC's DTM sale is attractive, but this is a "lifetime" purchase so it isn't compelling. The Surefire fans talk of minimum and repeatable POI, but I can't find any definitive proof that it's better than anybody else's. Also, my impression of youtube reviews shows their cans to be somewhat louder while more expensive. I don't know of a place where I can go listen to a silencer shootoff of these cans to hear for myself the differences (we do have one here Saturday, but I'm out of town:neutral:)

Anything I'm missing in my search, and any suggestions from the hive on what to get?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From your choices I would go with the Saker... The SDN6 is a good can BUT the Saker IMHO has better features.

Another choice that is not in your list and relates to POI shift is Templar Tactical. The POI shift is guaranteed (I believe) to be 1 MOA or less. And that is exactly what I noticed when putting it on my 17.

.30 - 7.62mm Caliber
I haven' heard anything about these. Which one do you have, the Ark or Nemesis, and what length?

TIA

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
I cannot speak to the SR7, however I have an SDN-6 and it really socks having to buy extra 51T mounts to find one that it is tight on and does not click back.

Now, before anyone says it doesn't hurt accuracy or alignment, I don't give a cap a can that moves around like my SDN-6 is on my 300 BO 51T mount is NOT COOL!!

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
We did a video comparing the SDN-6, M4-2000, and the SR7 on 5.56
We also have some videos up with the Saker on our YouTube page. As far as your questions.

The SR7 and the Saker win on POI shift and repeatably. As far as everything else you mentioned they are all very close. The videos tell a little more of the story. The other thing I will say is that if you go with the AAC get a Brakeout 2.0 and if you get the Saker use the Trifecta flash hider on your Scar.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Nick, nothing hostile, what is AAC CS doing for people with 51T mounts that the cans teeth click back a tooth and become loose??
That is why they created the 90t it locks up much better than the 51t. It locks up so tight in fact that it will come off with the silencer if it is not rockset to the barrel.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
For a do it all suppressor choose one in a .30 caliber - but here is where IMO things get interesting - there are new suppressors coming out I.e Dead Air that can handle up to 300WM (so for me that easy as you can run between 5.56 - 7.62 - 300WM - ALL Stellite baffles that hold up better over Inconel even with heavy firing schedules
1. Quick detach - 51t is ok - 90t better - SF /SWR / SilencerCo Best for little to no POI **** (repeatable) and design mitigates carbon fouling/seizing on mount..i.e you cant remove your suppressor

2. Reliable function (DI 5.56, piston 6.8 and SCAR17s)AAC M4 best here on a DI 5.56 - anything piston driven will be louder than a DI gun - you want a double duty suppressor / SilencerCO and Dead Air have interchangeable end caps - exit aperture for 5.56 and one for .30 caliber - AAC not at this time

3. Repeatable POI shift- know your DOPE! This is where a thread on suppressor you do better than ANY QD mount

4. Good sound reduction (ear safe) on 5.56/6.8/even SBR in .30 cal - word to the wise you wont get it hearing safe - wear ear pro

and the lowest but still important priorities off the SCAR skinny barrel

5. Light weight and compact size - look at the Mini size in any of the above (AAC/SF/SilencerCO/Dead Air) but you will trade db reduction / OAL / or weight - so for this you really can only get 2 out of 3

6. Muzzle devices that work without the can attached (compensator for SCAR, flashhider for AR) - Are you gonna be in combat - are Goons going to be in your wire that you need to manage the signature of you muzzle flash and sound? I doubt it and this is moot - what you should look for here is do I need a hider or a brake? - SBR your gonna need a brake - to mitigate baffle erosion - and it does not matter what super metal is in the suppressor - short barrel = serious abuse to ANY blast baffle...get a brake for ANY SBR and in all seriousness - doubt you will ever 'shot' a suppressor out

Sound reduction - look the human ear can onlt tell the difference between a change of at least 3db - so by todays suppressor offerings its gonna be what sounds good to YOUR ear and don't make a decision on a suppressor because of a video - look at what they meter (about 6 years ago when this was a rage in 5.56 suppressors ... AAC M42k - hands down on a DI gun) today.. well SilencerCO and Dead Air will give it a dam GOOD run for the money (db wise) ... and think you can get a .30 cal suppressor / change the end cap viola one suppressor - one tax stamp - and you can run it on multiple hosts between .22 - .30 cal and in some cases up to 300WM

Look at costs of mounts - if this is your 1st purchase - if you already had say AAC I would stick w/AAC (more guns = more mounts = more $) the only down side is AAC 51t there is gonna be wobble that was by AAC design so the suppressor will not weld it self w/carbon to the mount - so if your OCD kicks in and you cant take it, don't go that route. Good news if you already had the AAC 51t mounts there are suppressors that allow them to be backward compatible and lock up TIGHT. Also - there has been design revisions to mounts and mounting lock up for repeatable POI and how the back end of the suppressor seals up against a shoulder to keep carbon and whatever else from slipping past and mitigates carbon lockup on the mount.

k...I know I am forgetting ALOT but this should be enough to muddy the water on your decision ;)

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Nick is solid as is AAC - besides he is a industry professional.... If anything in his next huddle w/management he can bring this up as to what the consumer wants in a suppressor and what is trending.

I own AAC products - and enjoy them all.

At the same time so we don't tip toe around anything as I am a 'up front' kind of guy - AAC needs to step up their game - this is America and we all want the best....but that costs money

And folks that want to get into suppressors/NFA items you need some money - you need some common sense - able to wait long periods of time when you cant immediately own your toys - and last but not least not hesitant.

And I like to agree with my NFA/Suppressor owners across the pond - they are sound moderators....they do what they are designed to do pretty darn well - but you cant have one do everything perfect without sacrificing repeatable POI / weight / QD mounting system /OAL etc - and suppressors are dam near like a PC .... there is going to be something a suppressor can do better in 2 or 3 areas over the suppressor that you just bought and toil in anguish while awaiting approval before you get (what you thought was BEST) at that time.

So to that my friends - and I say this every time I get on one of these threads - you want mouse fart quiet / solid repeatable accuracy / light / short OAL / and a grin on your face when you played w/you 1st barrel of monkeys... get a .22 suppressor 1st. You can thank me later ;)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Is the new AAC 90T going to replace the 51T? If heaven forbid, I have to send in my 762SDN6 in for anything, will they fix it and set it up for 90T? What would I do for my rifles now that are set up for 51T, will they do the correct customer service thing and replace those as well?

Waiting to see what AAC does for everyone before I pick up another AAC.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And folks that want to get into suppressors/NFA items you need some money - you need some common sense - able to wait long periods of time when you cant immediately own your toys - and last but not least not hesitant.

And I like to agree with my NFA/Suppressor owners across the pond - they are sound moderators....they do what they are designed to do pretty darn well - but you cant have one do everything perfect without sacrificing repeatable POI / weight / QD mounting system /OAL etc - and suppressors are dam near like a PC .... there is going to be something a suppressor can do better in 2 or 3 areas over the suppressor that you just bought and toil in anguish while awaiting approval before you get (what you thought was BEST) at that time.

So to that my friends - and I say this every time I get on one of these threads - you want mouse fart quiet / solid repeatable accuracy / light / short OAL / and a grin on your face when you played w/you 1st barrel of monkeys... get a .22 suppressor 1st. You can thank me later ;)

I took your advice. Got the Trust underway, bought a Saker 7.62 and a Sparrow. Now time for several months of patience!:smile:

Gotta love black Friday sales. Another Saker, a Ti-Rant45 and another 22 can (probably an Element or Liberty Essence) will come with the yearly bonus!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts