FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have been in the market for a scar 17 for a while. It seens to be the only semi auto .308 that makes sense. Wat should I know? Are these prone to any issues? Are like quirks I should know about? Ive read about the optic eating...not sure on that. Theres a local shop that offers a IOP, individual office program(police, fire, mil) which seems to be the best price locally.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well, I'd probably apply for a second job to cover the ammo costs considering how much you'll be wanting to shoot it.

Upgrade the trigger first before even getting into an optic in my opinion. Trigger is the only sub par thing on the rifle to me. Then decide what you want the rifle for. Long range semi-auto? Mid range battle rifle? SBR to make a hard hitting CQC / mid range? That'll make your next choices fall in line.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
My trigger wasn't that bad compared to my 16, but I upgraded to a Geissele anyway. Watch your left thumb, damn recipricating charging handle has busted mine a few times. Lots of ammo, then the hardest thing is choosing an optic. Good luck! You will love it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Set aside more $$ than planned. The trigger upgrade is optional, more magazines and ammo are required. Depending on your training background and skill level, professional training might be next.

After that and 100+ rounds down range think about an optic and trigger. The role or mission you have planned for the 17 drive that, paper punching, hunting, mid-long range tactical, etc. will drive your choices.

Good od luck and enjoy the ride :wink: .

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive got a few AR's an AK, been shooting for a little while. Finally getting the .308 semi. This may sound rediculous but Im looking for a 800yard rifle. I was hitting the 600yd target with my 14" AR and rco. I hit it a couple with irons in my a4 replica too. Im thinking the .308 should easily do 800yards. Im thinking an 6x acog or maybe vcog. I love the bdc, it works so well.

Ammo, im looking at the zq ammo from walmat, 10 bux for 20 rds. Maybe cheaper stuff online. Possibly one day it may...slim chance but better than the other rifles replace my 14" baby as my go to, shtf rifle. So mainly looking at it as a mid range-some long, battle rifle. I want to shoot the ever loving hell out of it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
ZQ does fine in my 17. Also, start considering a suppressor, or at the least swapping out the stock muzzle-break. It can be punishing for anyone in your general area. Also, consider reloading...it is an upfront cost, but after 3000+ rounds it pays for itself.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The whole reciprocating handle issues is insanely overblown. Ive never heard of anyone having issues with the handle on a ak47 m1a m1 Garand. If its that big an issue put iton the right side if your right handed left if a lefty.

If you pick up an optic you might want a turned down charging handle depending on the mount you pick.

Out of the box it really doesnt need anything cept a first cleaning and ammo. Everything else is just personal preference.

Shoot it as is for a bit before modding

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
So you want a battle rifle that is also great for 800 yard target shooting. I'd save a little more and get the CSR. 16" target barrel, better trigger and better stock. Then forget about the 1-6x scope you were referring to, that'll suck for any true 800 yard precision shooting (it'll be fine if all you're wanting to do is ring steel on a man sized steel plate), and get yourself a nice higher power scope (800 yards you'd want at least up to 16x for precision shooting).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to reload. Since i moved to FL i couldnt borrow my friends equipment anymore. I thought about getting back in to it, but the cost is up there.

Or course FDE, i have enough evil black rifles, i need something thats not as evil. ;)

As far as barrel/optic for 800yards. Im not looking to be percise, but just hit the target. My rco out to 600 got my 14.5" ar on the 12" birchwood casey targets. I had 2 stacked up, and the overall target they were on was about the size of a torso. Thats more than good enough for me. The biggest thing is having the bdc like an ACOG. I love the reticle, it works so well. There not much to remember with it either, not many calculations. I was thinking 6x would do as well at 800 as 4x did at 600. Could be wrong but comparing the distance last week it seemed like it might. So basically Im not looking to shoot the dingle berry off a knats ass at 800, just hit the torso, maybe dial it in enough to hit the 12" target or ring the steel.

I saw nutnfancy and MAC's vid's where the scar seemed to be a 1moa rifle. Good glass and proper technique it was doing less. Thats more than accurate enough, especially with a CL barrel. Perfect, I cant ask for more. Never heard of the other rifle mentioned though, or is that the sniper-ish scar?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I run the pws on my 14.5" middy(my baby). I really really like it but others have complained about it at the side. Last week it wasnt bad sitting next to it. I know the .308s going to be worse. Thats a consideration, but ill wait a bit, so how it feels.

Regular ar grips, as long as i trim the back piece off they work right?

Will a BAD lever work on the scar?

Also any optic mounts would be larue.

Id probably run it ch on right, Im used to it with my arsenal so it makes sense. I can see from travis's vid my hand would get beat up on the left side.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Parker Mountain Machine (PMM) a sponsor of the Forum has the "BCD" "Magpul AR BAD) for the SCAR and also has grips precut to avoid the work of modifying if you choose. I have found Jarod's products to be quality, work for me. From PMM I have the QD mounts, grip and selector levers, I haven't used the BCD so won't give an opinion on that item but there are reviews in the PMM section.

Featured Products - Parker Mountain Machine

IMO the Forum sponsor section is a good place to find accessories for FN products. I have found the vendors I have done business with have quality products and good to deal with. A disclaimer, I certainly haven't dealt with all of them.

I run the pws on my 14.5" middy(my baby). I really really like it but others have complained about it at the side. Last week it wasnt bad sitting next to it. I know the .308s going to be worse. Thats a consideration, but ill wait a bit, so how it feels.

Regular ar grips, as long as i trim the back piece off they work right?

Will a BAD lever work on the scar?

Also any optic mounts would be larue.

Id probably run it ch on right, Im used to it with my arsenal so it makes sense. I can see from travis's vid my hand would get beat up on the left side.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Other than getting a real trigger and a Stryker Enterprises EACH, a upgraded safety selector switch for the rifle your other best advice is while researching aftermarket parts, do not hold your breath as to when they will be available so do not count them into your upgrade equation. If it isn't available right now, on the street then avoid the thought. That will just save you a LOT of grief. SCAR's are notorious for attracting vapor-ware.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
So i have been in the market for a scar 17 for a while. It seens to be the only semi auto .308 that makes sense. Wat should I know? Are these prone to any issues? Are like quirks I should know about? Ive read about the optic eating...not sure on that. Theres a local shop that offers a IOP, individual office program(police, fire, mil) which seems to be the best price locally.
You should know that they usually come in pairs, so you can't have just one.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't mind the trigger at all. Sure, I've felt better with aftermarket ones. But it's not like rifle is hard to manage or insanely inaccurate with the factory trigger.

The reciprocating handle shouldn't be an issue either, unless you're accustomed to holding onto the magazine/mag well while you fire. But as others have mentioned, switch it to the opposite side if that's how you like to hold the rifle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Make sure to keep the serial number sticker attached as it increases accuracy especially on the more accurate black Scar 17.

On a serious note, just buy it and be happy. To many complaints about the charging handle but it really is a non issue.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts