FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
With a BB gun years ago...sent the BB lengthwise through my thumb. Somehow managed to avoid needing stitches or any scarring.

I've had some accidental double taps getting accustomed to the light trigger pull on my Kimber.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I did it with a .22 in my house that someone was shooting before me left safety off and somehow I touched the trigger. :-?

2 walls i patched and painted very fast..

·
Registered
227 Posts
IMHO, most people have Negligent discharges, not accidental. Ok, maybe if the gun is broken, or you have a round cook off, then it is an AD.

Don't feel bad if you have had one, even Jeff Cooper did it. But, it should never happen if you are properly trained and always check the weapon when you first pick it up.

Only ND I had was a 5.56 blank while in Ranger school. Not sure if that counts of not. :D. It happend during a patrol in mountain training while climbing down the TVD at night. We were all zombies and I still don't know how it happened, but it was my fault.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
My only AD happened a long long time ago. When I was a teenager a couple of friends and I would go hunting down by Spring Creek. We had shotguns on this trip.

I had traded 12 gauges with another guy. I made sure the safety was set and we started through the woods. I was following the others thru brush and the shotgun I was carrying went off. Luckily I knew to always keep the muzzle down and not to sweep anyone so all that happened was that I shot the ground in front of my feet and about 3 feet behind the kids feet in front of me.

It scared the crap out of all of us. Someone asked me "What happened?" I looked down at the safety and said "I don't know the safety is still on." The kid I had trded guns with said "Oh, the safety on that gun doesn't work."

I took my gun back and I never hunted with him again.

I had a close call a year or so ago where I almost shot the TV doing dry firing. Right before I pulled the trigger that little voice said "the gun is always loaded". I racked the silde and out popped a live round. We had been shooting the day before and somehow that handgun had got back in my bag with a half loaded mag still in it. :evil: :oops:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't want to get into a semantic argument of AD vs. ND so I'm just going to use the term AD...

Years ago, I heard my shooting instructor say, "There are two types of shooters, those who have had AD's and those who will have AD's... May all your AD's be down range."

From what I've seen, he's right. And I've seen some very well trained people have a round get away from them on occasion. Sooner or later you are going to have a moment where a round is fired before you were ready. It will end up in a spot that is not where you wanted to place it. It's not a horrible thing if it's in a safe direction. It will shake you up. -One of the reasons you train to keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction is for the day when you do have an AD.

Regarding AD's from mechanical failures, it's not that uncommon. All it takes is a gun with a broken part, a missing part, or a "Bubba'd" one from "Adventures in Home Gunsmithing" and you can have a firearm that will AD.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:
I had a close call a year or so ago where I almost shot the TV doing dry firing.
A friend of mine who has now passed was a LE firearms instructor and he used to tell stories of cops who would clean their guns in front of the TV. He said invariably they would be watching some sort of show that had action or gun-play and they would backup the hero by shooting their TV's. He explained that when they reassembled their guns they were on autopilot and didn't realize they had loaded their guns while watching the show. When they pulled the trigger, they found out that their gun was loaded and ready for duty.

As you mentioned "all guns are always loaded" so checking them prior to handling them should be made into a habit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts