FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here and I have just recently purchased a Scar 16. I got the chance to take it out and sight it in with a US Optics 1.5-6x SN-4 scope and SSA 70gr. TSXs. My results were astonishingly bad. It grouped somewhere between 6-8 inches at 100 yards. I then switched to 62 gr. Federal Fusions and the results were almost as bad 5"-6" groups at 100 yards. Lastly I fired a few groups of 69gr. SSA HPBTs and the accuracy was better but still not good (3" groups).

What factory ammo do you guys use in your Scar 16s? Also, I should be getting my form 1 back soon and will be getting a factory 10" SBR barrel so ammo recommendations for the short barrel would also be appreciated.

FYI...

I was shooting suppressed. Used both a Saker 556 and M4200. Both resulted in the same size groups. Unsuppressed groups were marginally better but not by much.

Scope was not an issue. Mount was solid as well as the rings.

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
That does not accurately represent what the rifle is capable of. Mine likes 62 gr bullets and shoots sub MOA with SS109. Something is amiss with your rifle or optic. I don't know what. Your suppressors should not be affecting your accuracy except for POI shift.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I topped my 16 with a 4x32 ACOG. If i concentrate and take my time, I can group 5 shots 1.5 inches @ 100 yards with M855 ammo, Federal mfg. still working on tailoring my reloads with 55 gr. the heavier 69 gr shoot better.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Check your torque settings on your rings. should be around 15-20 inch/pounds. To much and you can damage your optic. If not that, then grab another rifle you know is accurate and mount that optic in it. That will tell you if it's the scope or the rifle.

+1 on the other posts. SCAR'S are really accurate rifles and those groups are not acceptable for that rifle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check your torque settings on your rings. should be around 15-20 inch/pounds. To much and you can damage your optic. If not that, then grab another rifle you know is accurate and mount that optic in it. That will tell you if it's the scope or the rifle.

+1 on the other posts. SCAR'S are really accurate rifles and those groups are not acceptable for that rifle.
Scope check out good. Tried it on my LWRC Six8 and the rifle grouped as it always had. Would removing and reinstalling the barrel again work? Perhaps my Wheeler Fat Wrench was not calibrated properly when I removed the barrel to install the 51T mount. I bought a Borka torque wrench factory set to 62 in lbs which I will use this time.

Could being off slightly while torquing the barrel screws cause such poor accuracy? Is it finicky if you are +\- a few lbs?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Check out your Flash hider adapter ( can mount )
I had my YHM QD over-torqued ( should be 25-30 ft #'s for a YHM I Believe ) on my 17. My dilemna was so bad it wouldn't group, all shots were all... over the place. No One could figure it out and I had asked several resources...
Bet that may be it !
You should have no problems with that rifle once everything is correct !
Expect a POI shift from suppressed to non suppressed and then small grouping changes from ammo to ammo and don't shoot junk steel cased ( JIMO ).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check out your Flash hider adapter ( can mount )
I had my YHM QD over-torqued ( should be 25-30 ft #'s for a YHM I Believe ) on my 17. My dilemna was so bad it wouldn't group, all shots were all... over the place. No One could figure it out and I had asked several resources...
Bet that may be it !
You should have no problems with that rifle once everything is correct !
Expect a POI shift from suppressed to non suppressed and then small grouping changes from ammo to ammo and don't shoot junk steel cased ( JIMO ).
I will remove and replace the mount as well as the barrel and re-torque everything. I know the flash hider was torqued down to 25ft lbs but it won't hurt to check it again.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just shot these yesterday and this is the typical accuracy that I see out of the my 16. Each square is a 1"x1" so as you can see the grouping there is around 1" at 100 yards. This is with factory Hornady 75gr 223 HPBT Match ammunition which my rifle seems to like. I'm sure you can probably squeeze more accuracy out of the rifle if you have a good hand load to match the rifle but I was happy with this with commercial loaded ammo (Plus, i'm not a very good shooter). This is with my 16 with a 14.5 pinned barrel, geissele trigger and a 4-14x scope shooting with a front bipod and rear bag for support.

With non-match ammunition, I typically see 2" - 3" groups at 100 yards which again is typical.

This is what it looks like at 25 yards. This is what I would do first in your case. Start off at 25 yards and see what kind of group you can print. Shouldn't be too difficult at that distance to make the holes touch. Afterwards, move out to 50 and then 100. If your scar isn't grouping well at 25, then I would guess it's probably something with your equipment as others have suggested. I would also re-torque your barrel assembly just to make sure. If you are grouping well at 25 and not at 100 then i would probably say it maybe you. Good luck, let us know what happens.

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
I have a Mepro 21 with a triangle. It's not a precise optic. I can't do that at 100 yards, but it's not really made to be that precise. With my eyes, I can't use red dots... The dot is either distorted at 4 MOA or I see a phantom dot connected to the real dot 2 or 1 MOA).

i tried magnified optics about a year ago, and I found that I prefer one x optics.

·
Registered
367 Posts
As others have said those groups are not typical for the 16S. i have never had any luck with 62 or 69 grain projos in my 16s. Mine shoots best with 52 grain SMK's. The first thing I would do if your sure your optics are not the problem is retorque the barrel with the Borka. Next I would replace the stock trigger with a Geissele Super Scar trigger. It made a huge difference in my 16s and 17s groups.Then get some FGMM ammo and retest @ 25 yards then move to 50 and 100 yards. I hope you are able to solve your accuracy problem.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's the problem. The Black SCAR is much more accurate than the FDE SCAR.
I could of sworn the FDE was more accurate than the Black...

Reactions: SledDog30

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
as others stated - re torque the barrel - isopropyl alcohol to neutralize any remaining ammoniated solvents if you cleaned the barrel - if you run whatever oil down the barrel / run a dry batch / or bore snake before your range session

·
Registered
52 Posts
If it still isn't shooting moa or better after trying the above. Then have a friend that is a good shooter, and have him try to group your rounds.

If it still doesn't group good you may have a bad barrel. It should shoot the 62gr and above really good with a 1/7 barrel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.