FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absoultely love my FNP9M and the only problem I have with it is accuracy. Let me state that I know everyone's accuracy is different and that with the 9M, I have a bit shorter barrel (3.8 in) and sight radius.

This weekend at the range, I was standing unsupported and shot my FN consistently into a 3 inch group slow fire (which has been my norm, 3in at 7 and 5-6 in at 15 yards), then I picked up a friends 9mm with a 4.7 in barrel and longer sight radius and I shot 8 rounds into a one inch circle. This isn't the first time I've shot better with a friends 9mm, but I had never shot the two consecutively as I did this time.

Should this difference in accuracy be expected or is it a bit extreme? I've only put 55 rounds through the FN, so could it be getting broken in still? I wanted to ask everyone, in particular those with more rounds through their firearms. I realize I didn't buy the best range gun ever, but I would like some better accuracy if I know I can shoot well enough.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I always shoot 4" barrels and longer better than I do on any subcompact. But, the smaller guns have a trade off for their size. Now, some people can shoot subcompacts with awesome accuracy - I am not one of those.

I had a G26 for many years, and in 2005, I switched to my P99c. I shoot it way better than the Glock 26, but I still can't shoot that P99c better than I can the full size.

However - everyone has a gun that works better for them, and some that work worse. Before you worry about it too much - I would shoot some other similarly sized guns (the FNP9M has an odd sized barrel - you'll probably have to shoot other guns with 3.5 inch barrels, as that is more common. See if you can find a USPc and a P2000 (both HKs) to do a comparison. Then, decided if its you or the wrong choice for you.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I can't tell much if any difference in accuarcy between my FNP9M and FNP9. I prefer the M for CC due to shorter grip mainly. Only 9mm I own that I shoot better is a 40oz, 4.5" Tanfoglio CZ75 clone but it's heavier & larger in grip than I'd want for CC. The M will put 16rds on a paper plate at 25yds and that's about as good as I can shoot any handgun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts