FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking the USG would make a good target pistol but I have found it lacking in that department. The USG is a superbly accurate pistol when clamped in a vise, but in my hands it is not. For target competition it would greatly benefit from some added weight and, for my preferences, a different set of iron sights.
The thing about the sights is that, for precision shooting, the post is too narrow, the corners are excessively rounded, and the three white dots are distracting.
Like I mentioned the light weight is an issue. Such a light pistol is great to carry but doesn't have the mass to dampen the small vibrations from your pulse, ect.

The trigger, by the way, I have found adequate after wearing it in.
It is an awesome setup for defense, and I carry it every day. But for those of you thinking to buy, don't expect an out-of-the-box target pistol, just because the pistol gets one inch groups in a vise.

Looking through my targets I see that I have a 60% chance of hitting a fist-sized bulls-eye at 25 yards with the USG. And this is when I'm taking my time and really trying. I have other pistols with which I can expect to hit the bulls-eye 90% of the time.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Target is as target does.

There aren't any sporting matches - like IPSC, UDPA etc. that would allow this caliber.

The minimum requirement is 9mm for most sport shooting events. Now, for a .22 event - the 5.7 is way overpowered - so no luck there either.

Hence, when target shooting the 5.7 - you are really only ever going to compete against yourself.

It is very light - I also enjoy it for CCW.

Cheers,

-TH

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think it is a very accurate pistol. i get a sub 1 inch group at 25 yard. I have polished the sear / hammer contact points and it does help. I now get a crisp 4# trigger pull... some people went as far as disabling the magazine safety to minimize the drag... but I think it is going too far.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the trigger is great. I shimmed it so there is minimal travel, and have worn in the "reset rod?", it breaks cleanly at about 4.5lb. And my groups have been very small the few times I've bothered to sandbag the pistol.
The biggest problem for me, is that it is just too light for me to hold very steady. Maybe a bigger tactical light would help..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Any more info on the polishing hammer etc. part for a crisper trigger pull?....sounds interesting...thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts