FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How accurate has anyone been able to make their PS90?

How did you accomplish this?

What would you recommend?

What are the limits?

Thanks in Advance

This is my first post

·
Registered
848 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1. Trained on a lot of firearms and spent a little time with the ps90, a spotting scope with a friend to spot, optic 2-3x magnification scope being the lowest power. I went thru a few optic choices but settled on 1x optic
2. practice practice practice.
3. None specifically if it can reach to 1800m (I don't know personally, Google search populated some information), officially its 200yds, but it can hold over to any distance, but at 330yds the round drops 5'(59") has about 1/4th-1/5th the energy it left with IIRC. **Checked on the [email protected] 330 yards, I was wrong, link has more ballistic data.

Im not gonna sway you away from owning a Ps90 its not my first choice for an long range accurate rifle, a proper optic and it's good to 200. I have faith that my wife's ps90 will be point of aim point of impact at below 150yards and groups well in my paws.

Checkout the link below
http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-ps90/67805-what-do-you-think-max-effective-range-rifle.html

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I had started accurise mine and was with a rest detonating the small 1 inch round tanerite targets at 50 yards with no problem,(sorry never got the chance to print it on paper) Some things you can do is a AMP trigger, Polish the trigger bars, treat the FCG with pure silicone and burnish or break in your barrel. But the one item I had that they no longer make is a trigger pull weight reducer, I wish someone would nut up and reproduce them as I lost it with my gun.

One other aspect also to consider is precision reloading, But you have to be a diehard for that one.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Just my .02 if it is of any help even better.
I have never accurized a weapon let alone one of my PS's. The 5.7 round is a real flat round out to about 150 yrds ( or so ) and I don't remember ever seeing a PS with accuracy problems to the best of my knowledge . Barring of course my SBR that seems to collect dust which I haven't shot more than a few rounds through.

Personally and obviously the list of items to improve on or that can be improved on is a owners choice and an entrepreneur's challenge. We have frequently shot steel out ( 66% torso size IPSC ) to 200 with a decent holdover and it almost becomes boring.... especially at shorter distances. We frequently use a 10" steel square from 100 yrd's in and even that loses it's appeal rather quickly.

I personally would think there is some value in polishing the rods & some trigger component mods may help but the triggers in all bull pup's just suck !!! I definitely wouldn't modify my only trigger pack with endeavors that make it not able to return to stock form .... especially if I only had 1.
Seems that " Shooting Sight " is close to prototyping an all aluminum trig pack, it will be interesting to see what changes he may bring to the table. I'll take one if they make it to " gen pop " distribution.

Reactions: Kakashi66218

·
Registered
109 Posts
SBRed by TROS USA, factory settings right out of the box = 2 inch low 1 inch to the right, shot several 3" groups at 20 yards free hand with and without the can. This one seems pretty accurate as it! Will adjust the sight and call it good!

·
Vendor
1,805 Posts
Seems that " Shooting Sight " is close to prototyping an all aluminum trig pack, it will be interesting to see what changes he may bring to the table. I'll take one if they make it to " gen pop " distribution.
No aluminum in my trigger pack. All components will be heat treated tool steel, same as for my SCAR trigger.

Have not settled on housing material. Delrin so far. Since the brass impacts the front of the housing, I don't know if aluminum would stand up.

·
Registered
507 Posts
In all honesty this is not a target rifle. I have other rifles if accuracy is my goal. My PS90 SBR is accurate as I need it to be for its purpose. I consider it a nice, small, lightweight Personal Defense Weapon (PDW). I think it is an outstanding little package in that role. It is not a sniper rifle. It was designed to replace a 9mm pistol for support troops. I think it is fantastic for this purpose.

Remember 5.7 is more of a pistol round than it is a rifle round. Or it's not really a pistol or rifle round, but something in between. If you want a rifle to shoot for accuracy, definitely look for something else.

The barrel is designed to move. It moves back and forth ever so slightly. Grab the end of the barrel and pull it back and forth, it moves. It also turns slightly left to right. It is not designed to shoot MOA, and it never will no matter what you do to it.

Here are my results of shooting a full 50 round mag rapid fire offhand at 25 yards. What more could you want from a little PDW? I am very happy with this.

If you live in a State that is NFA friendly, cut your barrel down and don't look back.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I imagine trigger and projectile selection would be the only things you could do without changing the design and fundamentally endangering it's best qualities.

Just how accurate do you need it to be and at what distance?

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
3 issues with accuracy testing these guns. First, the triggers are not great, even when/if modded. Second, optics. About 5x is the practical limit and that makes it a bit more difficult to shoot groups. Last, they're VERY difficult to shoot off of the bench, given the stock design. All that said, with a 16X scope on an SBR I was able to get 3/4" groups at 50 yards with SS198. I don't know how much more you could get or, realistically, want. YMMV.

·
Registered
507 Posts
3 issues with accuracy testing these guns. First, the triggers are not great, even when/if modded. Second, optics. About 5x is the practical limit and that makes it a bit more difficult to shoot groups. Last, they're VERY difficult to shoot off of the bench, given the stock design. All that said, with a 16X scope on an SBR I was able to get 3/4" groups at 50 yards with SS198. I don't know how much more you could get or, realistically, want. YMMV.
Mark, you have a picture of the P90 SBR with a 16x scope? That would be good for a laugh. The objective lens probably is past the end of the barrel.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Back when I had a PS90 - I had an EOtech mounted on my 1st one. I could do 1/2" groups of 10 rounds at 50 yards if I did my part.

I also used to have a 2nd PS90 with a factory optic. That one was a bit harder to shoot small groups withg - because of the optic. Probably an inch groups at 50 yards

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
Mark, you have a picture of the P90 SBR with a 16x scope? That would be good for a laugh. The objective lens probably is past the end of the barrel.
I don't think I took a pic, but I'll look, Looked even dumber than you think. Objective was way out there and the ocular was far enough back that you couldn't change mags without removing the scope..

·
Registered
375 Posts
image.jpeg Here are 2, 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Top was the first 3 shot group then i adjusted the scope and shot the bottom right group, then i adjusted the scope and shot the last shot on the bottom left. Only shot one shot on bottom left. Using ss197sr. Picture is upside down also.

·
Registered
109 Posts
In all honesty this is not a target rifle. I have other rifles if accuracy is my goal. My PS90 SBR is accurate as I need it to be for its purpose. I consider it a nice, small, lightweight Personal Defense Weapon (PDW). I think it is an outstanding little package in that role. It is not a sniper rifle. It was designed to replace a 9mm pistol for support troops. I think it is fantastic for this purpose.

Remember 5.7 is more of a pistol round than it is a rifle round. Or it's not really a pistol or rifle round, but something in between. If you want a rifle to shoot for accuracy, definitely look for something else.

The barrel is designed to move. It moves back and forth ever so slightly. Grab the end of the barrel and pull it back and forth, it moves. It also turns slightly left to right. It is not designed to shoot MOA, and it never will no matter what you do to it.

Here are my results of shooting a full 50 round mag rapid fire offhand at 25 yards. What more could you want from a little PDW? I am very happy with this.

If you live in a State that is NFA friendly, cut your barrel down and don't look back.

Exactly!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the awesome tips!

I'm just trying to get as much as I can reasonably. Since the rounds are small and not very powerful, I want accuracy for shoot placement.

235' is plenty of self defense range. I 'd love a MO but realize that 2 MOA is realistic.

I am almost finished breaking in the barrel. I am using the cleanest cartridge possible without using my Elite Ammunition. I'm utilizing SS198LF.

I have been only using patches and oil from Otis and Breakfree. All in the direction of travel.

I have fired my three singles and used a lot of patches, and I have fired three sets of two rounds. Tomorrow I will fire three sets of three rounds each. Cleaning the barrel thoroughly after each set.

It's an 18 round 9 stage break in to burnish the barrel rifling.

I do have some trigger parts and magazine part coming but I have run into another problem.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BTW, sbr is not an option for me because I travel so much and don't want the paper hassle.

I would really love to have a P90 but that's not possible with these traitors at the helm and being illegally occupied by a foreign power.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts